Almost anywhere you look on the 2008 R6 you’ll find something new, including YCC-I.
It’s bristling with loads of refinements and knowledge gained from years of racing. You can confidently say the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha - or anybody else - has ever built.
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (YMC) announces the development of the latest model change of its mid-class supersport model YZF-R6, mounting on an aluminum frame a 600cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC in-line-4 cylinder 4-valve high-performance engine with power output that exceeds the equivalent of 200 hp per liter of displacement. This new model will be displayed at the Mondial du Deux Roues 2007 show opening in Paris on Sept. 28 and will be released on the market as a 2008 model.
This model adopts Yamaha’s new “YCC-I” electronic control intake, which has been developed under Yamaha’s G.E.N.I.C.H. engineering ideal using exclusive electronic control technologies and is now put to practical use to boost engine performance. Another new feature is the lightweight magnesium rear frame made possible by a unique Yamaha technology and adopted for the first time ever on a production motorcycle. By contributing to greater concentration of mass it helps realize the next level of sport riding performance.
Market Background and Product Summary
The 2006 model YZF-R6 featured a high-performance engine adopting for the first time the “YCC-T” (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) based on Yamaha’s G.E.N.I.C.H. engineering ideal and was released as “the extreme supersport fastest on the circuit.” Ever since, it has won great popularity on the European and North American 600cc supersport markets. The reasons for its popularity are its acceleration in the over 10,000 rpm range, smooth power development and response, light, agile cornering, smooth operability and unique styling. At the same time, as the market has expanded, there have been many calls for even higher levels of running performance while maintaining the same original model concept.
In light of this market background, the new YZF-R6 has been developed around the new concept of “an R6 that is No. 1 in laser-sharp handling and super-exciting performance.” Under this concept, the existing circuit performance and performance on secondary and winding roads has been supplemented by (1) added excitement in circuit riding, (2) handling that lets the rider enjoy quicker banking and turning and more agile exiting of turns and (3) new developments in original styling that maintains the YZF-R6 identity. This model also adopts new technologies for greater product maturity, including Yamaha’s new “YCC-I” electronic control intake and the first lightweight magnesium rear frame ever adopted on a production motorcycle. These features further boost running performance.
- Light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- The YZF-R6 was the ﬁrst production motorcycle with a ﬂy-by-wire throttle system—for ﬂawless response under all conditions.
- YCC-I, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, introduced in 2007 on the R1, is now used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder ﬁlling and a broader powerband. On the higher-revving R6, its beneﬁts are even more pronounced.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.
New for 2008:
- Over 50 friction-reducing strategies have been employed inside the engine, including the use of wider crank bearings.
- Upgraded fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T dual-injector system complements the higher compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- All-new frame takes handling to the next level, allowing more precise turn-in, greater corner speed, and tighter exits. Thicker headpipe-headstock and swingarm pivot area walls, and elimination of the frame crossmember, help achieve perfect balance.
- New swingarm has internal ribs added, and extruded section is now forged to work with the new frame.
- Revised outer fork tubes, a new lower triple clamp, and increased fork offset provide highly tactile front-end feedback.
- Moving the rider and bars forward and slightly lower enhances braking and turn-in performance. Clip-ons are also lower and re-angled.
- Front discs are 310 x 5mm instead of 4.5mm for increased cooling qualities.
- Increased fork height adjustability and rear ride-height adjustment range accommodate a greater range of riders and tires.
- Revised bodywork results in even greater aerodynamic efficiency.
- YCCT—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle—uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Back torque-limiting slipper clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP for a broad powerband, spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- Light, Controlled-Fill swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Quick-detach license plate holder and rear turn signal mount makes prepping for track days or racing a snap.
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
Carburetion: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
Final Drive: #525 O-ring chain
Suspension/Front: 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Brakes/Front: Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear: 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
Length: 80.3 in
Width: 27.6 in
Height: 43.3 in
Seat Height: 33.5 in
Wheelbase: 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle): 24°
Trail: 3.8 in
Fuel Capacity: 4.6 gal
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change): Spec Not Available
Dry Weight: 366 lb
Main Jet: Not Applicable
Main Air Jet: Not Applicable
Jet Needle: Not Applicable
Needle Jet: Not Applicable
Pilot Air Jet 1: Not Applicable
Pilot Outlet: Not Applicable
Pilot Jet: Not Applicable
Primary Reduction Ratio: Spec Not Available
Secondary Reduction Ratio: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 4th Gear: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 5th Gear: Spec Not Available
Gear Ratio - 6th Gear: Spec Not Available
- $9,799 (Cadmium Yellow w/Flames) Available from December 2007
- $9,599 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from November 2007
- $9,599 (Raven) Available from November 2007
- $9,599 (Liquid Silver) Available from November 2007
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)