The much-awaited and anticipated Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré finally broke loose with the goal of tipping the adventure-touring king, the BMW R1200GS, off its throne and we must say the all-new Japanese bike has all the credentials to make that possible. To begin with, there’s a great demand for big-bore adventure sports bikes in general and, with the right ergonomics, powerplant and innovative features, for the all-new Super Ténéré in particular.
Update: Yamaha has just released the accessories list and pics, which you can now find in our article and picture gallery. Remember, the parts are standard on the 2010 model year, which makes this kind of a limited edition bike as the 2011 one will have them too, but only in the accessories catalog.
Inspired by the world’s toughest rally, the Dakar, Yamaha’s latest introduction was built from the ground up and it looks like a challenge with every single one of its features. First thing first, the engine is an 1199cc parallel twin using a 270-degree crank that greatly reduces inertial torque and improves throttle response. The performance figures – 110hp @ 7,250 RPM and 84lbs.ft @ 6,000 RPM – speak for themselves.
In the innovation paragraph it’s truly worth mentioning the ride-by-wire throttle control system (YCC-T), three-mode linked & ABS brakes and Yamaha’s D-MODE variable engine mapping ensuring the street and touring modes.
The chassis meets the bike’s high standards even though the Super Ténéré is built around a steel frame instead of an aluminum one as we would expect and although this contributes significantly to the bike’s 575lb weight, at least it is sure to withstand severe abuse while offroad riding. This brings us to the suspensions, which are fully-adjustable front and rear and another important and good choice was that of using spoked rims instead of cast ones from the same reason as in the case of the frame.
Yamaha is selling the first year models fitted standard with a set of aluminium side panniers, a bash plate and a headlight protector and also offers plenty of accessorizing possibilities.
Although it is unsure if the all-new 2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré will make it to the United States this year, it is a fact that in will go on sale next month in Europe, but the price hasn’t been announced yet. Still, this is the kind of bike that meets the best of both worlds, meaning it can go where the BMW R1200GS goes and yet look almost as street-worthy as the Ducati Multistrada or the Triumph Tiger . We can understand why Yamaha expects so much from this model and we bet it won’t disappoint. Just look at it.
Engine and Transmission
- Type: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, inline 2-cylinder, 4-valve, fuel injected, twin spark engine
- Displacement: 1199cc
- Bore x stroke: 98 x 79.5 mm
- Compression ratio: 11.0:1
- Firing intervals: 270- and 450-degree points
- Max. Power: 80.9kW (110PS) @7,250rpm
- Max. Torque: 114.1 Nm (11.6kgf･m) @6000 r/min
- Lubrication system: Dry sump, oil tank in crankcase
- Fuel supply system: Fuel injection
- Ignition system: Twin spark
- Starter system: Electric
- Transmission system: Constant mesh, 6-speed
- Throttle system: Yamaha Chip-Controlled Throttle (YCC-T)
- Yamaha D-MODE: 2 modes, Sport (S) and Touring (T)
- Traction control: 3 modes, TCS1, TCS2 and OFF
- Exhaust System: 2-into-1
Chassis and Dimensions
- Front suspension: Upside-down telescopic fork, 43 mm inner tube, adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping
- Front wheel travel: 190 mm
- Rear suspension: Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound damping
- Rear wheel travel: 190 mm
- Front brake: Twin 310 mm wave discs, ABS/Unified Brake System
- Rear brake: Single 282 mm wave disc
- Front tyre: 110/80/19
- Rear tyre: 150/70/17
- Overall length: 2,250 mm
- Overall width: 980 mm
- Overall height: MIN：1,410 mm / MAX：1,440 mm
- Seat height: Adjustable 835-860 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,540 mm
- Min. ground clearance: 205 mm
- Wet weight: 261kg (includes full oil and fuel tank)
- Fuel capacity: 22 litres
- Touring Screen
- Fog lamp kit (can be mounted under the headlights or engine guard bar, optional)
- Engine side shields
- Grip heater kit
- Air Deflectors
- Tank Protection Super Ténéré
- Sella low (lower than 35 mm standard)
- Tankbag Super Tenere
- 30-litre aluminum top case coordinated with panniers
- Interior Hold for panniers and top box
- Elegant arrows LED, available in 3 colors Black, Chrome, Carbon