The Yamaha TMax is one of the Japanese brand’s core products, one that has stood the test of time. In fact, it remains one of the best in the sector and is a practical alternative to a conventional motorcycle.
In the 10 years that the TMax has been around, it has become one of the best maxi-scooters on the market, one that offers true sports performance wrapped in a highly aggressive scooter body. The design of the new TMax is really to die for because it comes with luxury scooter appointments including a double glove box in the streamlined front apron, a position-adjustable operator backrest, a sumptuous dual seat, an illuminated storage box under the seat spacious enough for a large full-face helmet, a fully featured multifunction instrumentation with a speedometer and a tachometer, and Yamaha’s unique wind and weather protection that comes from the TMax’s floorboard, apron, and windshield configuration.
In terms of performance, the TMax comes with a 499cc fuel-injected, DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that’s been horizontally mounted and performance engineered with forged pistons, carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite plated cylinders for plenty of tractable power. The engine is then mated to a continuously variable transmission that connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double-cog-type rubber V-belt. The whole technical set-up of the TMax makes it the ultimate twist-and-go throttle operation.
Meanwhile, the engine is encased in a sturdy, lightweight die-cast aluminum chassis with 43mm front forks, 4-piston mono-block caliper dual front disc brakes, a rear disc brake, and aluminum die cast wheels with radial H-rated tires.
Find out more about the Yamaha TMax after the jump.
- Fuel-injected, DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, 499cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine is horizontally mounted and performance engineered with forged pistons, carburized connecting rods and ceramic-composite plated cylinders for plenty of tractable power. Also includes a horizontally opposed reciprocating balancer for uncommon smoothness.
- Electronic fuel-injection system provides sure starts and excellent performance in virtually all conditions and altitudes.
- Lubrication is via a semi-dry-sump system with an oil cooler for longer engine life.
- Continuously variable transmission (CVT) connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable doublecog- type rubber V-belt. Pivot coaxial drive shaft is used, allowing use of a swingarm separate from the powerplant for excellent handling. Two-stage, adjustment-free silent chain system then transfers power to the rear wheel.
- Muffler incorporates exhaust catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.
- Fuel tank emission system includes a charcoal canister to control gasoline evaporation and reduce air pollution.
Chassis and Suspension
- Using technology proven in Yamaha’s sportbike line, TMAX has a lightweight, Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum frame that provides rigidity and balance for superb handling.
- Motorcycle-type telescopic front forks use beefy 43mm tubes.
- 15-inch cast aluminum wheels front and rear are fitted with radial tires for excellent, sporty handling.
- Front double disc brakes with four-pod mono block calipers.
- Pin-slide, single piston rear brake caliper with parking brake system.
- Brake lever is adjustable for operator comfort.
- Rear seat is hinged for easy opening. Underseat storage is spacious enough to store a large full-face helmet.
|Engine Type||499cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, forwardinclined|
parallel 2-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve
|Bore x Stroke||66.0 x 73.0 mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Electronic Fuel Injection|
|Ignition System||Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Clutch Type||Wet, multiple-disc automatic centrifugal|
|Transmission System||CVT double-cog V-belt auto|
|Suspension/Front||43mm telescopic forks|
|Tire/Front||120/70-15 67H Radial|
|Tire/Rear||160/60-15 67H Radial|
|L x W x H||86.4 x 30.5 x 56.9 in|
|Seat Height||31.5 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.9 in|
|Fuel Capacity||4.0 gal|
|*Est. Fuel Economy||47 mpg|
|**Wet Weight||489 lb|
* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission
certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will
vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain
your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight.
** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and
all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank
of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories.
Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with