The Yamaha Zuma is a peculiar kind of scooter because it’s smaller than a bike yet a little meatier than what you’d call a traditional scooter. Yet despite lacking what can be described as a specific niche, the Zuma still enjoys a tremendous following, thanks in large part to the many upgrades Yamaha has provided.
The Zuma employs a unique combination of fun and practicality wrapped in one affordable package. It won’t wow you in terms of looks, but as far as usefulness is concerned, it’s got plenty of items that riders will love. The first is a new, plush seat that can comfortably sit two people and plenty of locking storage beneath it. It also has a wide front apron and floorboards that enhance the Zuma’s sporty profile, as well as a new headlight system that features dual bulbs with housings mounted atop the apron, ensuring great visibility for the rider. More space can be found on the rear cargo rack, while an electronic fuel gauge lets the rider easily keep track of gas level. Finally, the Zuma also has an easy-to-read instrument panel that features a turn signal, as well as high-beam and low-oil indicator lights.
In terms of performance, the Zuma is powered by a rather feisty 49cc, air-cooled two-stroke engine with a fully automatic transmission and pushbutton electric starting, making for a convenient ride anywhere. The scooter’s simple powertrain also allows it to achieve an estimated - and impressive - 123 mpg fuel return. As far as the suspension is concerned, the Zuma’s tiny telescopic fork and single rear shock work very well for a bike of its built. The overall lightness and agility of the Zuma makes it a fun ride, even if you won’t be pushing past any speed limits.
Find out more about the Yamaha Zuma after the jump.
- Super-sporty styling and bodywork create a racy-looking package with an aggressive profile and riding position.
- Wide front apron and floorboards enhance Zuma’s sporty profile while providing exceptional wind/weather protection and all-day comfort.
- Headlight system features dual bulbs with housings mounted atop the apron (vs. recessed) for great visibility and a sporty finish.
- Huge underseat storage compartment is perfect for hauling schoolbooks or groceries.
- Plush dual seat is long and wide for improved rider and passenger comfort.
- Sturdy rear cargo rack boasts a stainless finish and features extensions that double as passenger grabrails.
- Electronic fuel gauge lets rider easily keep track of gas level.
- Easy-to-read instrument panel features turn signal, high-beam and low-oil indicator lights.
- Feisty 49cc, air-cooled two-stroke engine features a high 7.0:1 compression ratio for strong, usable power—perfect for around-town performance.
- Reed-valve induction provides excellent throttle response and power delivery.
- 14mm Teikei carburetor ensures seamless fuel delivery and crisp throttle response.
- Fan-assisted cooling system keeps engine temperature reliably under control, even while idling at stoplights, for maximum efficiency and longer engine life.
- Exclusive Autolube Oil Injection System ensures no mess or hassle of premixing fuel and oil.
- Easy-to-read indicator light located on instrument panel alerts rider when oil level gets low.
- Easy, dependable electric starting with backup kickstarter.
- Fully automatic V-belt transmission ensures easy, twist-thethrottle- and-go operation.
- DC-CDI system provides precise, high-voltage spark for seamless engine performance and excellent reliability.
- Automatic choke makes cold starting a cinch.
Chassis and Suspension
- Step-through frame design allows easy mounting.
- Long wheelbase (50.2 inches) and large dimensions (74.4”L x 27.8”W x 43.7”H) enhance rider comfort with roomier ergonomics.
- Five-spoke cast wheels wear fat, low-profile 120/90-10 front and 130/90-10 rear tires that deliver tons of grip and attitude.
- Telescopic fork features beefy outer tubes for strength, while slider shrouds help protect inner tubes from debris.
- Telescopic front fork with 2.6 inches of travel smoothly soaks up what the road throws the rider’s way.
- Single rear shock with 2.4 inches of travel ensures a plush ride quality in either solo or two-up mode.
- 155mm hydraulic front disc and rear drum brakes combine for serious stopping power.
|Engine Type||49cc air-cooled 2-stroke single;|
|Bore x Stroke||40.0 x 39.2mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Teikei 14mm|
|Suspension/Front||Telescopic fork; 2.6-in travel|
|Suspension/Rear||Single shock; 2.4-in travel|
|L x W x H||74.4 x 27.8 x 43.7 in|
|Seat Height||30.1 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.7 in|
|Fuel Capacity||1.5 gal|
|*Est. Fuel Economy||123 mpg|
|**Wet Weight||207 lb|
|Color||Team Yamaha Blue/White|
* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission
certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will
vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain
your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight.
** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and
all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank
of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories.
Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with