- DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder engine
- 599 L
For every earth-shattering sportsbike on the market, there’s an entry level version that won’t give you the hardcore performance you’re looking for, but will provide the kind of real-world riding that everybody just falls head over heels for.
The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R is the latter one of those bikes and it has a special feel that makes you comfortable the minute you swing a leg over the seat. It is a sports bike that does not make any earth shattering claims; just a machine that will leave you smiling after each and every ride.
The FZ6R comes with features that make it easy for beginner riders to get started, including a low seat height, a beautiful diamond-steel frame, a sleek fairing, and a Yamaha R6 style exhaust, among other things. The bike also has a built-in lap timer that’s controlled by a right-handlebar switch; there’s also a multi-function digital and analog instrumentation that includes a programmable shift light; a digital speedometer; an analog tachometer; dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function; an odometer; water temp gauge; and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
The bike is powered by a 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder engine with a compression ratio of 13.1:1, providing great response for a bike of its stature. On top of that, it’ also one of the first Yamaha bikes to come with a Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle
system for flawless response under all conditions and a Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband.
To give the FZ6R the kind of performance handling a bike of this quality requires, Yamaha used a Deltabox aluminum frame that incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate
in 600-class handling.
Get full specs on the Yamaha FZ6R after the jump.
- Compact, lightweight 67mm x 42.5mm, 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
- Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- YCC-I—Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake tract length for a broader powerband.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- YCC-T uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP for a broad powerband, and 02 sensor for spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
Chassis and Suspension
- Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Removable rear shock spacer and adjustable fork ride height allows the rider to tailor the ride position for the best fit and comfort.
The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R was made available in September 2011 with prices starting at $7,590 for the Pearl White and $7,690 for the Raven.
|Model||YZFR6BL; YZFR6BB; YZFR6BGP; YZFR6BW|
|Engine Type||599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder;|
DOHC, 16 titanium valves
|Bore x Stroke||67.0 x 42.5mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||6-speed; multiplate slipper clutch|
|Final Drive||O-ring chain|
|Suspension/Front||41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable,|
|Suspension/Rear||Single shock; 4-way adjustable,|
|Brakes/Front||Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount|
|Brake/Rear||220mm disc; single-piston caliper|
|L x W x H||80.3 x 27.8 x 43.1 in|
|Seat Height||33.5 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||24.0°|
|Fuel Capacity||4.5 gal|
|Est. Fuel Economy||40 mpg|
|Wet Weight||417 lb|
|Color||Team Yamaha Blue/White;|
Pearl White/Candy Red; Raven; 50th
Anniversary Pearl White/Rapid Red
Moto Scoop ---- "The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R is a great combination of performance, handling, and exciting sport bike style, but also with a low seat height that’s both adjustable to fit a wider variety of riders"
Total Motorcycle ---- "The FZ6R fits perfectly into the less intense sport bike world with its easy to control power, light weight and low seat height. A slim compact chassis complements the fuel injected engine and its very linear throttle control. No lap records here, just a bike that inspires rider confidence and is a blast to ride"
Ultimate Motorcyle ---- "The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R features a low, adjustable seat (30.9-inch seat height, adjustable 3/4 of inch higher of lower), adjustable handlebars and sturdy suspension for ultimate comfort on the road. And all the growl is still there from the inline 600cc engine, which is tuned for torque around town but also upper RPM power for those more spirited rides"