The Yamaha Grizzly 550 FI Auto 4x4 EPS is the ultimate utility ATV that has garnered its share of awards, and certainly more than lives up to the hype.
The Grizzly 550 FI Auto 4x4 EPS carries the same specs as that of the standard 550 FI Auto 4x4 version, with the notable exception being that it carries Electric Power Steering. This assist feature lightens steering for superior comfort and terrainability. In terms of performance, the ATV is powered by a 558cc 4-stroke SOHC 4-valve liquid-cooled engine that is mated to Yamaha’s own fully automatic Ultramatic transmission, the most advanced drive system in the ATV market.
Rugged steel cargo racks with special, extra-durable wrinkle paint finish can pack a combined total of 286 pounds while a center-mounted, heavy-duty trailer hitch comes standard and can tow more than 1300 pounds. The ATV also has a trick digital instrument panel that boasts of a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter that counts the engine’s running hours, 4WD status, transmission position, clock, and fuel gauges. Dual 35-watt multireflector halogen bulb headlights with high/low beams provide the kind of illumination that makes nighttime work or play a breeze.
As far as handling is concerned, the ATV has a full-size chassis that provides the same high level of comfort enjoyed by Grizzly 700 riders. Front and rear lower A-arm guards offer excellent protection, and feature the company’s WideArc front A-arms that are 5’ wider for outstanding ground clearance.
Whether you opt for the "standard" Grizzly 550 FI Auto 4x4 or the one with the EPS version, one thing remains clear: you win either way.
Find out more about the Yamaha Grizzly 550 FI Auto 4x4 EPS after the jump.
- This 558cc 4-stroke SOHC 4-valve liquid-cooled engine is derived directly from the industry-leading Grizzly 700 powerplant.
- Compact engine design features a 35-degree cylinder angle for ground clearance and lower seat height for quick steering and maneuverability.
- Ceramic-composite cylinder liner provides outstanding durability and heat dissipation; 92mm forged piston is light and strong and rides on a carburized chrome-moly connecting rod.
- Two-lobe overhead cam and a pair of needle-roller rocker arms reduce friction by 50 percent for increased fuel efficiency and torque.
- Gear-driven crankshaft balancer shaft and 4-position rubber engine mounts reduce vibration.
- Yamaha Fuel Injection uses a Mikuni 40mm throttle body and idle speed control valve to provide easy cold starts and flawless fuel delivery in nearly any condition, from below sea level to 15,000 feet.
- Stainless steel exhaust system features aluminum heat shields and a screen-type spark arrestor for great power with minimum noise output.
- High-capacity aluminum radiator with fan motor delivers maximum cooling efficiency and is positioned high in the frame for optimal protection.
- Five-position shift lever with L, H, N, R and P gates has a light shifting feel with easy engagement, providing positive Ultramatic transmission control.
- Sealed drive case keeps out water and debris to help increase durability.
Chassis and Suspension:
- Electric Power Steering. This assist feature, pioneered by Yamaha on the Grizzly 700 FI EPS, lightens steering for superior comfort and terrainability.
- 5.3-gallon fuel tank is located under the seat for excellent mass centralization and handling; there’s a 4.8-liter waterproof storage compartment under there, too.
- 11.8 inches of ground clearance and full-length composite skidplate deliver maximum underbelly protection while enhancing terrainability.
- 25x8-12 front and 25x10-12 rear Maxxis tires provide responsive steering and handling and excellent comfort.
- Rugged injection-molded front bumper and CV joint guards protect against rock and debris damage.
- Full-size chassis provides the same high level of comfort enjoyed by Grizzly 700 riders.
- Five-way preload-adjustable shocks provide a comfortable ride, whatever the load or trail conditions.
- Front and rear lower A-arm guards offer excellent protection —and Grizzly 550 features WideArc front A-arms for outstanding ground clearance that’s 5 inches wider than that provided by ordinary designs.
- Four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes serve up consistent, long-lasting braking power.
- Direct driveshaft design efficiently transfers power while providing outstanding durability with less vibration.
Key Selling Points
- The 550cc class has a leader, with a fully featured package based on its best-selling bigger brother, the Grizzly 700 FI, with a largest-inclass 558cc powerplant, Electric Power Steering and excellent value.
- Steel Blue model includes cast aluminum wheels.
- Yamaha Fuel Injection means instantaneous cold starts and optimal performance in nearly any condition, from sea level to 15,000 feet.
- Electric Power Steering system lightens steering for superior comfort and terrainability.
- Industry-exclusive, fully automatic Ultramatic transmission is the most advanced drive system in ATVs. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and uses a sprag clutch for all-wheel downhill engine braking in 4WD mode.
- Three-position On-Command In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD—all with a simple push of a button.
- Fully independent long-travel four-wheel suspension features double-wishbone suspension front and rear with five-way preload-adjustable shocks for maximum control and comfort over rough terrain.
- Smoothest-running and -riding Grizzly ever.
- Trick digital instrument panel boasts a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter that counts the engine’s running hours, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge.
- The Grizzly 550 EPS boasts the lightest weight in its class at only 648 pounds wet weight.
|Model||YFM5FGPBL; YFM5FGPBGR; YFM5FGPHB|
|Engine Type||558cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled single;|
SOHC, 4 valves
|Bore x Stroke||92.0 x 84.0mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI); 40mm|
|Ignition||TCI, 32-bit ECU|
|Transmission||Yamaha Ultramatic V-belt with|
all-wheel engine braking; H, L, N, R, P
|Drive Train||Yamaha On-Command pushbutton;|
3-way locking differential; 2WD,
4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
|Suspension/Front||Independent double wishbone;|
5-way preload adjustment, 7.1-in travel
|Suspension/Rear||Independent double wishbone;|
5-way preload adjustment, 9.5-in travel
|Brake/Front||Dual hydraulic disc|
|Brake/Rear||Dual hydraulic disc|
|Tire/Front||AT25 x 8-12|
|Tire/Rear||AT25 x 10-12|
|L x W x H||81.3 x 46.5 x 48.8 in|
|Seat Height||35.6 in|
|Turning Radius||126 in|
|Ground Clearance||11.8 in|
|Fuel Capacity||5.3 gal|
|Wet Weight||648 lb|
|Rack Capacity||99 lb Fr./187 lb Rr.|
|Towing Capacity||1322 lb|
|Instrumentation||Digital LCD multifunction display; speedometer,|
odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter,
clock, fuel gauge and gear position
|Lighting||Dual 35W halogen multi-reflector|
headlights & 21W/5W brakelight
|Color||Steel Blue; Hunter Green;|
Realtree AP Camouflage