Sometimes, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to be able to judge an ATV’s capabilities. The 2012 Yamaha Raptor 700R SE is one of those vehicles that just fits the mold. All you need to do is know that this one packs a wallop for an engine and you’re all set.
It’s hard to argue against a 686cc Yamaha fuel-injected engine, especially if it’s considered as the most powerful powertrain fitted into a Yamaha ATV. Dual counter-balancers and a 44mm throttle body get fuel into the thumping engine, making for a far smoother ride than most ATVs. On top of that, the Raptor 700R also has a Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) system that provides excellent engine performance in a wide range of conditions, as well as a competition-spec dry-sump lubrication system that boosts usable horsepower and keeps overall engine size more compact.
More than just its superb performance traits, the Raptor 700R SE also paints a pretty stellar picture. It’s not pretty, but it catches your attention. The low-slung, aggressive styling is a definite head-turner, as is the number of design features that make this ATV a useful off-road companion. It has a long, YZ-style seat that allows maximum rider comfort, a thumb throttle lever, a large-capacity, 2.9-gallon fuel tank, multireflector 30-watt Krypton headlights, an LED taillight, and a digital meter with all the information a rider needs for his adventures. Since this model is characterized as a special edition, the bike was outfitted with some nifty add-ons, including Pro Armor Nerf Bars, a Pro Armor Bumper and Radiator Cover, and special graphics and colors.
As an off-road conqueror, the Raptor 700R also comes with upstanding handling capabilities, highlighted by a state-of-the-art chassis featuring a steel front section with an aluminum rear section and detachable subframe to create a super-strong structure and the ideal wheelbase for light, quick, super-accurate steering.
Find out more about the Yamaha Raptor 700R SE after the jump.
- Forged lightweight piston, connecting rod and crankshaft in the 686cc engine are light and strong, for a hard-hitting, quick-revving powerplant that revs all the way to 9000 rpm. Dual counterbalancers keep it smooth.
- Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) means consistently excellent engine performance in a wide range of conditions, elevations and temperatures.
- Competition-spec dry-sump lubrication system boosts usable horsepower and keeps overall engine size more compact.
- Digital TCI w/16-bit electronic control unit controls fuel injection and ignition systems for consistent performance and fantastic throttle response.
- Reliable pushbutton electric start in any gear adds extra convenience.
- Race-bred five-speed transmission with reverse, along with Raptor 700R’s monstrous powerband, means there’s a choice of gears in just about all situations.
- YZ-spec ratchet shifter ensures smooth, resistance-free shifting under power. Heavy-duty clutch features extra-sturdy basket and plates designed to harness the Raptor 700R’s power.
- Easy-to-reach oil filter and tool-free air filter provide added convenience.
Chassis and Suspension
- State-of-the-art chassis combines a steel front section with an aluminum rear section and detachable subframe to create a super-strong structure.
- Compact, CAD-designed chassis creates the ideal wheelbase for light, quick, super-accurate steering.
- Piggyback shocks provide excellent sport-riding comfort, with high- and low-speed compression adjustability, rebound and preload adjustability, and 9.1-inch travel.
- YZ-style piggyback rear shock gives 10.1-inch wheel travel with high- and low-speed compression adjustability for maximum sport versatility, along with preload and rebound adjustment.
- Front brake master cylinder features an adjustable lever for increased comfort and feel.
- Twin aluminum-piston front disc brakes deliver tremendous stopping power. Discs are drilled, which helps reduce unsprung weight for excellent suspension compliance.
- Cast aluminum swingarm carries an eccentric quick-adjust drive chain mechanism that takes most of the work out of that task.
- Handlebar-mounted flip-type parking brake lever and rear brake caliper adjust automatically.
- High-performance 21x7-10 front and 20x10-9 rear Dunlop® radials with a specially designed tread pattern deliver superb, class-leading traction for razor-sharp handling in a variety of terrain and conditions.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels help enhance suspension performance by reducing unsprung weight.
- Race-inspired 45mm serrated foot pegs provide excellent boot traction.
- Controlled-fill aluminum subframe is light and strong. So is the composite front grab bar.
- Special Edition gets a wave-type rear disc for great braking ability and race-ready looks, plus special front grab bar and footwells.
- Raptor 700R SE features a digital meter with speedometer, dual trip meters, odometer, clock, warning indicators for coolant and low fuel, plus neutral and reverse indicators.
- Inner rolled wheels reduce weight while maintaining strength.
- Long, YZ-style seat allows maximum rider comfort and movement with superb sport-riding ergonomics.
- Multireflector 30-watt Krypton headlights set back in the front cowl add the perfect no-compromises sporting accent, and an LED taillight provides great visibility.
- Large-capacity, 2.9-gallon fuel tank and Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) mean more time on the trail between fill-ups.
- Thumb throttle lever has a smooth shape for a feel riders will appreciate, with less fatigue at the end of the day.
- Styling is sharp and aggressive.
|Engine Type||686cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke;|
SOHC, 4 valves
|Bore x Stroke||102.0 x 84.0mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 44mm|
|Ignition||16 Bit ECU|
|Transmission||5-speed w/reverse; wet multiplate clutch|
|Drive Train||2WD; sealed O-ring chain,|
|Suspension/Front||Independent double wishbone w/piggyback|
High-/Lo-speed compression, rebound and
threaded preload adjustment, 9.1-in travel
|Suspension/Rear||Cast aluminum swing arm w/rebound,|
High-/Lo-speed compression and threaded
preload adjustment, 10.1-in travel
|Brakes/Front||Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Brake/Rear||Ventilated hydraulic disc,|
self-adjusting park brake function
|Tires/Front||AT21 x 7-10 Radial|
|Tires/Rear||AT20 x 10-9 Radial|
|L x W x H||72.6 x 46.1 x 44.5 in|
|Seat Height||32.0 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.4 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.9 gal|
|Wet Weight||422 lb|
|Lighting||Dual 30W Krypton multireflector|
headlights & 3.9/0.5W LED brakelight
Total Motorcycle ---- "A 686cc Yamaha fuel-injected engine makes this the most powerful Yamaha sport ATV ever, with big torque right off idle, transitioning into a fat mid-range and monstrous top end"
Motorcycle-usa ---- "Both sport ATVs are right at home on the sand. Each is just as good or better in other environments like motocross and trail riding, and their versatility helps make them very popular machines"