- ultra-compact DOHC parallel twin engine
- six-speed wide-ratio transmission
- 1200 L
With a history that dates all the way back to the famous Paris to Dakar rally of yesteryear, the Yamaha Super Ténéré is the ultimate machine for experiencing all facets motorcycling has to offer.
In terms of its design, the Super Tenere is more utility than it is specialty. The design of the bike is highlighted by the raised snout and narrow windscreen. There are also slab-sided aluminum panniers, a tubular handlebar, adjustable seats, tall mirror stalks, a multi-function carrier system on the back, and a 19" front wheel that completes the picture of a bike that can ride on just about road it travels on.
Where the Super Tenere lacks in design sizzle, it more than makes up for in performance. At the heart of the bike is an ultra-compact 1,200cc DOHC parallel twin engine mated to a six-speed wide-ratio transmission that features a very unique 270 degree crank whose close firing order gives the engine its unrivaled power characteristic. The bike also incorporates YCC-T fly by wire technology which is matched to an all-new traction control system, regulating ignition timing, and fuel injection volume based on rear wheel spin.
The Super Tenere features an all-new steel frame that is designed to reduce rider fatigue during long rides. The steel main frame allows the bike to enjoy balanced strength and flexibility, while the suspension set-up on the bike gives the Super Tenere the comfortable riding characteristics a bike of its name deserves. The suspension consists of 43mm forks on the front with 7.48" of travel and adjustable preload, compression, and rebound dampening, plus an adjustable pre-load suspension on the rear that allows the rider to adjust for varying loads or a passenger with the simple turn of a knob.
Get the full specs on the Yamaha Super Tenere after the jump.
- The all-new 1199cc parallel twin liquid-cooled engine features a unique 270° crank for superior traction because both pistons fire so closely together. It’s almost like having a big-bore thumper without the uncomfortable vibration.
- Compact engine design uses a dry-sump oil supply inside the crankcase, and side-mounted radiator for surprising narrowness. -*8-valve cylinder head optimizes the fuel charge for spirited performance. The cylinder head cover is ultra-lightweight magnesium to help centralize mass.
- A two-axis primary balancer smoothes out engine vibration for all-day riding comfort.
- Forged aluminum pistons and carburized connecting rods for durability and performance.
- Downdraft twin bore fuel injection system with 12-hole injectors is tuned for off-road adventures, and is equally at home on long stretches of open highway.
- Proven YCC-T fly-by-wire technology is matched to an all-new traction control system, which regulates ignition timing and fuel injection volume based on rear wheel spin. Three riderselected modes are available to match conditions and the rider’s preference.
- Yamaha D-Mode has two settings: “T-mode” for Touring and general riding, giving a softer response; “S-mode” for Sport riding when the rider wants the most performance possible.
- Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has gear ratios optimized for everything from slow dirt roads to higher speed sport riding.
- The low-maintenance shaft drive is clean and reliable with a compact rear axle gear case thanks to its hypoid gear design.
Chassis and Suspension
- The all-new steel frame is designed to reduce rider fatigue during long rides. Using a steel main frame offers the best balance of strength and flexibility, one good at absorbing jolts from uneven road surfaces.
- The engine is a stressed member of the frame. Locating the crankshaft low and close the foot pegs gives the bike a remarkably light feel, even off road.
- The ABS and Unified Brake System (UBS) work together to help prevent wheel lock during braking. This new system allows the rider to operate front and rear brakes together by simply pulling the front brake lever, especially helpful when riding while standing on the pegs. Applying the rear brake first overrides UBS to provide traditional separate front and rear brake control.
- Adjustable pre-load suspension allows the rider to adjust for varying loads or a passenger. The forks are compression and rebound adjustable and the rear shock is rebound-damping adjustable as well.
- A generous 6-gallon fuel tank allows for long touring with less down time for fill-ups.
- The Super Ténéré comes equipped with an adjustable seat height. 1 inch of adjustment provides a low height for shorter riders or a roomier riding position for taller riders in the high position.
- Front and rear hydraulic discs are both wave-type for great performance on or off road.
- The grooved foot pegs show Yamaha’s attention to detail. While the rider is seated, rubber cushions provide excellent comfort. When the rider stands to tackle more technical riding conditions, the rubber compresses, letting the rider’s boots contact the metal foot peg surface.
- Handlebar brush guards are standard equipment.
- The flexible luggage system design has three possible set-ups: standard with no top case/side bags, top case installed, and side cases installed. Genuine Yamaha top case and side cases designed for adventure touring are available as accessories. These accessories were included during the design of the motorcycle so as to enhance the look of the bike.
- Body components help direct cooling airflow to critical areas of the bike.
- Both side stand and center stand are provided for complete parking convenience.
- R1 style turn signals and reflectors.
The 2012 Super Ténéré was available through a Priority Delivery Program at Yamaha dealerships nationwide beginning in September 2011. The Super Tenere has a starting MSRP of $13,900 and will be available in Blue as pictured as well as Raven.
|Engine Type||1199cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke 2-cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||98.0 x 79.5mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection with YCC-T|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Suspension/Front||Telescopic fork, 43mm tube, adjustable|
preload, compression and rebound damping,7.48-in travel
|Suspension/Rear||Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound|
damping, 7.48-in of travel
|Brakes/Front||Dual 310mm hydraulic disc, ABS/Unified|
|Brake/Rear||282mm single disc|
|L x W x H||88.6 x 38.6 x 55.5 in|
|Seat Height||33.26 or 34.25 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||28.0°|
|Fuel Capacity||6.0 gal|
|Est. Fuel Economy||N/A|
|Wet Weight||575 lb|
Motorcycle ---- "Engine power is routed through a wide-ratio six-speed transmission to a shaft drive system using a hypoid rear gear to ensure everything is as compact as possible. The Ténéré’s engine crankshaft is kept low and close to the footpegs in order to keep the bike’s center of gravity low"
Cycle World ---- "At the heart of the Super Ténéré is a liquid-cooled, 1199cc parallel-Twin with dohc and four valves per cylinder. Twin counterbalancers quell vibes, while the 270-degree crankshaft provides uneven firing intervals for improved traction should your adventures become slippery. Bore and stroke measure 98.0 x 79.5mm with an 11.0:1 compression ratio"
Road Big Mag ---- "Overall, I found the Super Ténéré comfortable and fun to ride. It’s got plenty of smooth power on tap and great wind protection. All this adds up to a bike that you can tour on far and wide, on road or off, for long periods of time"
Total Motorcycle ---- "All it takes is one look at the rally-inspired 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere and the wonder lust sets in. And there’s no stopping it with a super compact parallel twin engine with a unique 270 degree firing order, a wide ratio 6-speed transmission"