It’s understandable that a lot of people are turned off by high-priced purchases. Given the state of the economy we’re in, saving as much money as you can has become a great priority.
Motorcycle brands like Yamaha know this, and they are certainly sensitive to the market’s capabilities. That’s why it has become important for them to release models that are not only economical when it comes to fuel, but also on the bank account.
One such model is the 2012 Yamaha YFZ450 , an all-utility vehicle that’s considered one of the best bargain buys on the market. It’s got great styling; it has an excellent chassis design; and it comes with an impressive 449cc 5-valve DOHC power-plant.
Among the new features of the 2012 YFZ450 model are a new pair of high quality, non-reservoir shocks made by KYB that have been tuned exclusively for the YFZ and designed to excel at handling a wide variety of riding situations. The bike also offers significantly more low and midrange performance compared with the previous model. Yet despite this, the 2012 model still carries the same power output, thanks to a few Yamaha modifications that include revised cam profile and timing and new ignition mapping.
As far as the chassis is concerned, the new YFZ450 has a lightweight, ultra-compact steel frame with an aluminum sub frame that gives the machine added flexibility. For the rear suspension, a highly tuned Showa piggyback shock returns on this newest model, with the only difference being found in the adjustability features.
Other new features attached to the YFZ450 include a new push-button ignition, tapered handlebars, and an efficient dual-hydraulic braking system in the front with two-piston caliper in the rear.
More details on the Yamaha YFZ 450 after the jump.
- 449cc liquid-cooled, DOHC four-stroke with five valves features 95mm bore and 63.4mm stroke for massive power with high over-rev capacity and crisp, linear throttle response.
- A large 42mm Mikuni BSR carburetor delivers precise fuel/air mixing and crisp throttle response with low throttle lever effort.
- Smooth-shifting YZ-spec ratchet-type five-speed transmission and heavy-duty clutch deliver all that power to the rear tires with maximum efficiency.
- Large-capacity radiator is optimally mounted in the frame to guard against damage.
- Reliable pushbutton electric start in any gear adds extra convenience.
- Additional weight-saving engine features include: magnesium cylinder head cover and right-side crankcase cover.
- Dry-sump engine carries oil in an aluminum tank directly in front of the engine for excellent cooling and optimal protection from rocks or mud.
- Large capacity airbox features no-tool access to the extra large oiled dual-foam filter for easy maintenance.
Chassis and Suspension
- Independent aluminum upper A-arm front suspension features 9.1 inches of travel.
- Rear suspension system uses YZ-linkage type, controlled by a piggyback shock with 10.6 inches of travel.
- Dual hydraulic front brakes with 127mm discs and classexclusive, dual-piston hydraulic 173mm rear disc provide strong braking capability with progressive control and feel.
- The wheel has been designed with the inner lip rolled in. This increases the rigidity, allowing a reduction in weight while maintaining strength.
- High-performance 21x7R-10 front and 20x10R-9 rear Dunlop® radials, designed specifically for the YFZ450, deliver superb, class-leading traction.
- Ultra-rigid cast aluminum swingarm reduces unsprung weight and provides optimal suspension action.
- Long travel out back means an excellent ride and handling.
- Eccentric chain adjuster mechanism simplifies that job.
- Long, low, and narrow YZ-style seat enhances the quick, balanced steering and optimal rider movement.
- Rugged steel 45mm foot rests provide excellent grip and rider comfort.
- Large-capacity, 2.6-gallon fuel tank provides excellent range.
- Dual 30-watt multireflector Krypton headlights set back in the front cowl add the perfect menacing appearance. 21/5W taillight is tough, and incorporates a brakelight for added convenience.
|Engine Type||449cc liquid-cooled w/fan; 4-stroke; DOCH;|
|Bore x Stroke||95.0 x 63.4mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Mikuni 42mm BSR|
|Transmission||5-speed; wet multiplate clutch|
|Drive Train||2WD; sealed O-ring chain,|
|Suspension/Front||Independent double wishbone; 9.1-in travel|
|Suspension/Rear||Cast aluminum swingarm; 10.6-in travel|
|Brakes/Front||127mm Dual hydraulic disc|
|Brake/Rear||173mm Hydraulic disc|
|Tires/Front||Dunlop AT21 x 7-10|
|Tires/Rear||Dunlop AT20 x 10R9|
|L x W x H||72.4 x 46.1 x 42.9 in|
|Seat Height||31.9 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.5 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.6 gal|
|*Wet Weight||381 lb|
|Lighting||Dual 30W Krypton multireflector|
headlights & 21/5W LED brakelight
|Color||Black Metallic; White w/ choice of graphic|