As with all special editions, the 2011 YFZ450R and Raptor 700R SE models were launched as platforms for the market to experience a portion of the sport ATV lifestyle. A year later, Yamaha is back with another special edition model of the YFZ450R, packed with a new look, as well as some new features.
The overall look of the YFZ450R SE is a lot more aggressive than the past model, thanks to black and red bodywork with a metallic vertebra graphic scheme. The fenders have also been modified and are held on by simple quick-release fasteners, making for easier maintenance. The 2012 also has a black GYTR grab bar that has been installed on the front, while the swingarm has been blackened with a gold drive chain offering a sharp contrast.
In terms of performance, the YFZ450R SE is powered by an impressive 449cc five-valve engine, offering superb power characteristics that are smooth and strong off the line. The engine is then mated to a five-speed manual transmission that offers plenty of drive options, while dual overhead cams rev quickly with a very linear power curve. The fuel injection is crisp, thanks in part to the the 42mm Mikuni throttle body while the thumb throttle has a nice, smooth feel that the pilot can modulate all day without fatigue.
As far as the chassis and suspension set-up is concerned, the ATV was fitted with 44mm Kayabas front shocks that allow 10" of wheel travel while the rear was given 46mm KYB shocks attached to an aluminum swingarm and straight axle with 11" of wheel travel, providing for super handling characteristics that makes this ATV a fun and enjoyable ride.
Find out more about the Yamaha YFZ450R SE after the jump.
- The fuel-injected 449cc engine has superb power characteristics. Power delivery is smooth and strong off the line with lots of low and mid range where you need it.
- The crankcase holds a crankshaft that’s ready to handle the increased balance ratio, as well as a counterbalancer for superior vibration control. The crankcase also houses the oil tank, which helps to centralize mass for unmatched handling and makes maintenance easier.
- Camshafts are designed to maximize the torque available in the low and mid ranges.
- Fuel injection uses a 12-hole injector that provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum combustion efficiency and power delivery. The system also uses a big, 42mm Mikuni throttle body and includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
Chassis and Suspension
- The chassis is very spacious, allowing room for even an aggressive racer to move around during the moto, and the ATV’s body panels that the rider contacts during operation are of a softer plastic material for greater comfort. The seat is narrow in the front, yet wide and padded in the rear to provide a more comfortable ride, even when hanging off on the side of the seat in a turn.
- The wheel has been designed with the inner lip rolled in. This increases the rigidity, allowing a reduction in weight while maintaining strength.
- Wheels are set motocross-spec wide, near the maximum allowable 50 inches, for great cornering ability. The Dunlop® tires are grippy with a great pattern for cornering, and at 20 inches in the rear and 21 inches in the front, provide much better ground clearance than the competition. That makes the YFZ450R fun to ride off-road, too.
- ProTaper handlebars are mounted on 4-way clamps for exceptional adjustability. There are two sets of holes in the handlebar crown, and eccentric clamps so the rider can choose the standard setting, 10mm or 20mm forward, or 10mm back.
- Foot pegs are a generous 2.6 inches wide, something riders will appreciate every time they want to get up on the pegs, with good kick-up on the ends for solid footing.
- The frame is aluminum for lightweight, except for the frame member under the engine. Here tensioned steel is used for its combination of strength and thinness. This allowed the designers to sit the engine lower overall for excellent mass centralization for unmatched handling. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability.
- The front frame is noticeably narrow at the A-arm mounting points. This dramatically reduces changes in camber as the long A-arms travel through their full range of motion. The front 44mm KYB® shocks have Kashima coating for smooth operation with superb bump absorption and excellent anti-bottoming characteristics. The 9.8 inches of wheel travel means this racer is up to even the most challenging tracks.
- The rear swingarm is crafted of strong, gravity-fed aluminum, and it’s matched to a fully adjustable 46mm KYB® piggyback shock absorber for excellent handling. Rear wheel travel is 11.0 inches for comfort even on tough terrain.
- For excellent stopping ability, YFZ450R features dual front hydraulic disc brakes and a trick looking, lightweight wave-type rear rotor.
- The throttle lever requires low effort, and it’s very comfortable to use. That means less fatigue during all-day riding.
- The instrumentation is all business. The discrete panel on the fender in front of the rider gives vital indicators about low fuel, coolant temperature, check engine, and neutral gear via a straightforward LED display.
Key Selling Points
- The YFZ450R SE features striking metallic plastic with quick-release fasteners for no-tools installation and removal of the front and rear fenders, special graphics, a black swingarm and a dealer-installed GYTR black front grab bar.
- The prestigious “ATV of the Year” Award from ATV Sport Magazine. “Best in Class” from ATV/SxS Illustrated. Winner of shootout after shootout. The YFZ450R took ’em all – in its first model year, right out of the starting gate. This is one amazing ATV!
- In ATV motocross, great power output doesn’t mean much without superior handling. YFZ450R delivers! The stance of the YFZ450R is motocross ready. The weldless frame is designed from lightweight aluminum, with a tension-steel bottom frame that lets the engine sit lower for excellent mass centralization. Suspension components have more travel, carefully chosen for best performance, and the front shock bodies feature Kashima coating for even smoother operation.
- Fatigue can sometimes be a racer’s worst competition. That’s why the YFZ450R’s designers made this ATV so comfortable. It boasts racerfriendly ergonomics with plenty of room to hang off in the corners, and the seat is padded just right to be more comfortable regardless of riding position. Handlebars are 4-position adjustable, too, so every rider can choose the best position, and the throttle has been designed for all day comfort.
- This 449cc engine uses titanium five-valve cylinder head technology, with a camshaft designed just for this machine to deliver abundant low to midrange torque for performance where you can really use it to take the lead – while still maintaining a super strong top end to let you pull away from the pack.
- The YFZ450R incorporates Yamaha Fuel Injection for precise fuel delivery. With big 42mm Mikuni throttle body and 12-hole injector, this system provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum power. The system also includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
- This ATV is designed to make race prep easy. Body panels come off easily for service; there’s no need to remove the battery or other components to get the fenders off. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability. And the oil tank is integrated with the crankcase so it’s easier to service the engine.
|Engine Type||449cc, liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; DOHC|
|Bore x Stroke||95 x 63.4mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) , 42mm|
|Transmission||5-speed manual clutch|
|Drive Train||2WD; sealed O-ring chain, eccentric|
|Suspension/Front||Independent double wishbone, w/ Kashima|
coated piggy back shocks, High/Low speed
compression, rebound and threaded preload
adjustment, 9.8-in travel
|Suspension/Rear||Cast aluminum swingarm w/ piggyback|
High/Low speed compression, rebound and
threaded preload adjustment, 11.0-in travel
|Brakes/Front||Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Brake/Rear||Wave-style ventilated hydraulic disc,|
|L x W x H||70.7 x 48.8 x 41.9 in|
|Seat Height||31.9 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.5 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.6 gal|
|Wet Weight||405 lb|
|Lighting||Dual 30W Krypton Multi-reflector|
Headlights and 3.9/0.5W LED Brake light