The classic motorcycles were always a great source of inspiration for the modern models. Thereby, when designing the Bolt, Yamaha’s engineers decided to give it a retro look mixed with a few contemporary lines. Needless to say that the result is quite stunning as the bike looks gorgeous and we love its compact bobber-style design.
But a beautiful bike without a capable engine is like a body without a heart, thereby, the Yamaha Bolt is powered by a modern, fuel injected, 4-valve, V-Star 950 engine which is mated on a five speed transmission.
Moreover, the motorcycle’s slim body and low seat design offer a comfortable riding position and also help to assure an agile maneuverability and a stable handling feel.
The 2013 Yamaha Bolt is offered with a starting price of $7,990 and comes with one year limited factory warranty.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Yamaha Bolt.
A new trend is emerging in the motorcycle world, with a "back to basics" approach. Designers and custom builders are stepping back to a time when the mechanical beauty of a motorcycle was highlighted in its styling.
From its slim, compact bobber-style design to its raw metal look and feel, it’s everything you need. And nothing you don’t.
The Bot’s simple styling, compact layout, V-Twin power and natural riding position combine to offer an incredibly fun riding experience.
Featuring the fuel injected, 4-valve, V-Star 950 engine, the Bolt utilizes an all new "less is more" design.
Simple and compact, with a low seat height, the Bolt offers light agile handling that instills rider confidence. A new breed of "crossover", the Bolt is an interesting blend of cruiser features in a chassis that offers a more natural, upright riding position than a traditional cruiser. A "raw metal" theme highlights the engine styling, while the teardrop tank and limited bodywork showcase the Bolt’s simple mechanical beauty. Its torquey engine character and easy "ride ability" will keep you grinning long after the ride has ended.
The all-new Bolt; back to basics with forward technology for quick acceleration and maneuvering through the urban maze.
- The Bolt is stripped down and devoid of chrome parts and epitomizes the “Urban Performance Bobber” look. The compact chassis proudly showcases the 58 cubic inch (942cc), air-cooled, 60° V-twin sitting at the heart of the bike.
- The Bolt uses modern technology to create a riding experience superior to other similarly sized machines. Even fuel injection and ignition timing maps have been carefully chosen specifically for this bike to deliver class-leading performance with strong low- and mid-range torque sure to bring a smile to every rider’s face.
- The Bolt’s chassis design is entirely new. Components such as the 3.2 gallon fuel tank, belt drive, front and rear wheels, digital meter and steel fenders are new, creating a unique and fresh style.
- The slim body and low seat design combine to give the motorcycle light maneuverability and a stable handling feeling. The upright riding posture helps the rider feel the wind, hear the sounds, and experience the pulse of the machine.
- For riders who value personalization, the options for the Bolt are limited only by the owner’s imagination. As we say at Star motorcycles, “we build it, you make it your own.” And as the perfect canvas for customization, Bolt is the perfect example of that philosophy.
- 942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, 60° V-twin engine produces outstanding low- and mid-range torque. Maximum torque is reached at only 3,000 rpm - for an exceptionally fun riding experience.
- One-piece cylinder heads feature 4-valves per cylinder to provide optimum volumetric or filling efficiency for maximum power output. The benefit of a 4-valve design is two smaller intake valves allow more air flow and a higher rpm limit than a single heavier larger valve.
- Pent roof type combustion design with optimized squish area forces the fuel / air mixture toward the centre of the combustion chamber (and the centrally located long reach spark plug) for faster, more complete combustion and hence improved power and reduced emissions.
- Cylinder heads feature brushed cooling fin highlights for a quality appearance.
- The SOHC valve train features 31.5mm intake and 28mm exhaust valves with single valve springs which reduce friction and power losses. Specially designed "Y" shaped roller rocker arms activate the valves. The roller rocker system utilizes needle bearings that "roll" directly on the cam lobes allowing the lift of 2 valves at the same time without producing excessive camshaft wear and friction.
- Auto adjusting cam chain tensioners are used to reduce mechanical engine noise and maintenance
- Lightweight, "liner-less" aluminium cylinders feature ceramic composite plating for superior heat dissipation for excellent cooling, less friction, reduced weight and longer engine life. Cylinder cooling fins feature brushed aluminum highlights.
- Single pin style crankshaft is used to enhance engine character and exhaust note.
- Lightweight forged aluminium pistons provide excellent durability while reducing reciprocating mass for fast throttle response.
- Wet sump oil delivery system features an easy access spin-on type oil filter and easy access drain plug. A traditional dipstick is used to check oil level.
- Classic side mounted, 2.3 litre air box houses an easy access, high-flow viscous paper-type filter. Its design highlights and compliments the V-twin engine appearance. The outer cover features brushed aluminum highlights.
- Dual bore, 35mm throttle body fuel injection system with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and ISC (Idle Speed Control). This is a "closed loop" system that utilizes a heated oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor feeds back info to the ECU which in turn adjusts the fuel/air mixture for maximum power with minimum emissions. The Idle Speed Control (ISC) maintains a steady idle during warm-up as well as once the engine has reached operating temperature.
- 4-hole, 2-directional spray, Denso fuel injectors are used for excellent fuel atomization and more complete combustion chamber filling. There is one injector per cylinder.
- Fuel injection benefits include; improved fuel economy, choke-less starting, reduced emissions, and smooth drive-ability. The Bolt has been tuned to provide a very "linear" throttle response for easy riding.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (T.C.I.) provides a hot spark for sure starts and strong engine performance.
- Powerful 32 bit ECU controls the ignition and fuel injection process
- Multi-plate "outer pull type’" wet clutch is used. Lever pull is light and easy thanks to a special rubber damper system.
- 5-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for excellent city and highway drivability. Transmission gears use "straight cut dogs" for smooth, positive shifting. 5th gear delivers outstanding cruising performance and reduced rpms at highway speed
- Adjustable gear shifter.
- Clean, quiet belt drive system is extremely low maintenance and simplifies customization. The 21mm wide belt utilizes carbon fibre cords for excellent strength and reduced stretching.
- Air Induction System (A.I.S.) reduces harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions.
- Stylish 2 into 1 exhaust system features a 3-way honeycomb-type catalyzer at the entry point of the muffler to reduce emissions. The rear header pipe "snakes" toward the front cylinder in order to provide the necessary tuned length, not to mention it is a key styling highlight too. The short design "dual stage type" muffler produces a low, throaty V-Twin exhaust note.
Chassis and Suspension
Tube type, single backbone, double cradle steel frame offers a natural riding position, roomy ergonomics and a low seat height. This frame utilizes a 4-point rigid engine mounting system to optimize the overall rigidity balance for superior handling. The engine is mounted low in the chassis to provide a low center of gravity for a light, easy handling feel.
- Conventional tube-type, steel, short design swingarm compliments the frame and utilizes a dual shock suspension system.
- The Bolt features a low (690mm / 27.2") seat height. A very narrow design through the seat fuel - tank junction makes it even easier to place both feet flat on the ground, an important benefit for less experienced or shorter riders.
- The compact (1570mm / 61.8") wheelbase provides light, agile handling, for a fun riding experience.
- The Bolt is designed to be compact and slim, featuring clean, simple styling with the ability to easily personalize / customize the bike with a wide range of available accessories. The styling is "Star Original Bobber" with a modern twist. The design invokes a sense of dynamic forward motion and concentrated mass. The engine features "raw metal" styling highlights.
- 41mm front fork features plastic chip guards to protect fork tubes and seals. Wheel travel is 120mm (4.7") for a smooth, comfortable ride.
- Lightweight, forged aluminum upper triple clamp and forged steel lower triple clamp. The "pitch" between the fork tubes is 190mm or 7.5", which is well proportioned to 100/90 series front tire.
- Adjustable dual shock rear suspension. Rear wheel travel is 70mm (2.8"). The 5-positions of spring preload adjustment allows the rider to tailor spring preload to suit rider weight, load and road conditions.
- Single, 298mm front disc brake features a floating, wave-style rotor squeezed by a twin piston caliper for strong, confidence-inspiring stopping power. The wave-style design rotor offers more surface area than a conventional round disc for excellent heat dissipation.
- 298 mm rear disc brake is squeezed by single piston caliper mounted to the underside of the swingarm. This design not only helps to hide the caliper but also lowers the center of gravity for light handling.
- Conventional low rise handlebar offers an upright riding position for excellent rider comfort. The bar can be changed to a different design for easy customization.
- 12 litre teardrop shaped fuel tank compliments the slim, compact design of the Bolt. The piston-type fuel pump is externally located.
- Separate rider and passenger seats offer excellent comfort and style. The rider seat height is only 690mm or 27.2 inches off the ground. Both seats feature a dual texture design. The passenger seat can easily be removed if desired.
- Short design front and rear fenders are made of steel for easy customization and demonstrate the quality of build.
- All new, lightweight 12-spoke cast aluminium wheels are fitted tubeless tires. Front wheel is an MT2.50x19 fitted with a 100/90-19 bias tire, while the rear is an MT3.50x16 fitted with a 150/80x16 bias tire.
- New, LCD digital meter assembly features a speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel reserve tripmeter (counts kilometres since low fuel warning light activated) and a clock. Warning lights include; low fuel, oil level and engine trouble. Right side handlebar switch gear allows the operator to "tab through" or re-set the main instrument functions via buttons thereby eliminating the need to take your hands off the bars.
- 60/55 watt halogen headlight with chrome bezel
- New, "vintage design" LED tail light features 19 LED’s for excellent visibility. Chrome bezel adds another styling highlight.
- New design turn signals with clear lenses and black bodies. Automatic turn signal cancellation is standard equipment.
Industry-leading Star family fit and finish
- Extra wide front brake and clutch levers provide a quality feel.
- Upper & lower belt covers help prevent debris from entering the belt and pulley areas
- Locking fuel cap and locking tool kit cover
- Traditional style, fork mounted steering lock
- Low-maintenance, sealed battery
- Lean angle sensor will kill the engine if the bike has tipped over.
- Yamaha diagnostic service tool coupler
|US MSRP Price||MSRP $7,990 (Raven), $7,990 (Pearl White) USD|
|Engine type||58-cubic-inch (942cc) air cooled 4-stroke, V-Twin, SOHC, 4-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||85.0 x 83.0|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injected|
|Ignition TCI||(Transistor Controlled Ignition)|
|Transmission||5-speed multiplate wet clutch|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic fork, 4.7-in travel|
|Suspension Rear||Dual shocks, 2.8-in travel|
|Brakes Front||Wave-type disc, 298mm|
|Brakes Rear||Wave-type disc, 298mm|
|Tires Front||100/90-19M/C 57H tube type|
|Tires Rear||150/80-16M/C 71H tube type|
|Seat Height||27.2 in|
|Ground Clearance||5.1 in|
|Fuel Capacity||3.2 gal|
|Wet Weight||540 lb|
|Fuel Consumption||± 20kpl/57mpg(Imp)|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|