- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 38 @ 5250
- 530 L
The Yamaha TMAX is one of the best and strongest scooters built by the Japanese manufacturer. This attractive and capable model is around for more than 10 years and during this period of time it sold pretty well being one of the most wanted scooters in its class.
The scooter is powered by a strong 530 cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, inline twin engine which puts out 5.3 kg-m (38.3 ft-lbs.) of torque at 5,250 rpm and offers an estimated fuel consumption of 19kpl/53mpg .
Besides its strong engine, the Yamaha TMAX features a pretty futuristic design language and you’ll certainly like its aggressive front, the dynamic lights and the sporty windshield.
Among the features offered by the Yamaha TMAX you’ll find a double glove box in the streamlined front apron, a position-adjustable operator backrest, a comfortable dual seat as well as an underseat storage compartment.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Yamaha TMAX.
The 2013 Yamaha TMAX is one tough, sporty, eye catching maxi scooter. Featuring a powerful 530cc fuel injected, twin cylinder engine, the 2013 TMAX blurs the lines between scooter and motorcycle, offering a unique blend of exhilarating performance, excellent rider comfort and incredible convenience. Discover why the scooter savvy Europeans have made the TMAX Europe’s number one selling scooter.
The highway capable TMAX, is in many respects a motorcycle with the convenience of a step through design. Whether commuting through city traffic or hitting the open road, the TMAX’s lightweight aluminum frame, 15" wheels and easy to use CVT style "gas it and go" transmission will keep you grinning ear to ear. On the softer side, the TMAX features a huge illuminated under seat storage compartment, an eye caching instrument panel and a super comfy two person seat. Discover why scooters really do make sense in today’s age of high gas prices and traffic congestion.
530cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, 4-stroke twin cylinder engine provides great fuel economy and low emissions. Highway speeds are easily obtainable; with this is powerful sports oriented engine.
- Convenient electric starting with automatic decompression system means fast, reliable starting.
- DOHC, 4-valve cylinder head design provides optimum breathing efficiency for great engine performance. Valve actuation is via under bucket shims … just like on many sport bikes.
- Light weight aluminum cylinder block features 68mm ceramic composite cylinder "bores". This "liner less" design means the ceramic coating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block (instead of using heavy iron liners) and ensures great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced friction and reduced weight.
- Closed deck cylinder design allows the cylinders to be spaced more closely together, allowing for a narrower engine.
- Liquid cooling maintains consistent engine temperatures even while idling at stoplights or in traffic, for maximum performance and extended engine life. Liquid cooling also reduces mechanical engine noise for a quieter ride.
- High flow water pump and oil pump optimize engine cooling and lubrication for incredible durability.
- Silent type cam chain and automatic hydraulic cam chain tensioner reduces both mechanical engine noise and maintenance chores.
- "Piston-style" balancer assembly reduces vibration to a minimum for excellent rider and passenger comfort. The balancer shaft connecting rod and "piston" feature a special design to reduce pumping losses and further reduce vibration. The "cylinder" the balancer piston travels in is made of lightweight aluminum for reduced weight.
- Crankshaft design optimizes engine performance and throttle response while offering excellent durability.
- Carburized connecting rods are used for excellent durability and extended service life
- 68mm lightweight forged aluminum pistons reduce reciprocating mass for fast engine response and excellent durability.
- Downdraft style intake layout is used for maximum engine performance.
- Dual bore 34mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection uses R6 based, high performance 12 hole injectors for excellent fuel atomization.
- This fuel injection system is a "closed loop system" which means there is an oxygen sensor in the exhaust that monitors the exhaust emissions and constantly regulates / adjusts the fuel mixture for optimum performance and reduced emissions.
- Fuel injection provides crisp throttle response, reduced fuel consumption, reduced emissions and reduced weight. Another key benefit is no hassle choke free starting.
- The FI system also features a TPS (throttle position sensor) which feeds back info to the ECU for optimum ignition timing and maximum performance.
- Maintenance-free digital TC (transistor controlled) ignition system provides a precise, high-voltage spark for seamless engine performance, sure starts and excellent reliability.
- Sport bike inspired curved radiator design with electric fan provides maximum cooling efficiency. Note: A curved rad offers more cooling area than a conventional flat rad.
- Fully automatic, CVT (constantly variable transmission) V-belt transmission ensures easy "twist-the-throttle-and-go operation". There is no hand clutch or gear shifting to worry about. A wide range reduction ratio is used for strong sports performance. Special dual paper air filters allow cooling air to enter the belt case for extended V-belt life. The belt is a double cog type belt for extended durability
- Final drive system utilizes a belt instead of a chain for reduced weight and noise.
- Stylish upswept muffler contains a catalytic converter to reduce harmful hydrocarbons and nitrous oxide emissions. The muffler produces a quiet exhaust note and its upswept design provides an excellent styling highlight.
Chassis and Suspension
- Unique CF die cast aluminum frame is lightweight yet rigid for excellent sports handling. This frame design is a cross between a motorcycle type frame and a scooter step-through design. The TMAX is one of the most sporty handling scooters on the market today … it handles more like a motorcycle than a scooter.
- Lightweight motorcycle inspired, aluminum swingarm reduces unsprung weight for sporty handling and excellent ride comfort. The pivot point for the swingarm passes though the rear of the engine cases.
- Large 43mm motorcycle inspired fork offers 120mm (4.7") of front wheel travel for a smooth comfort ride. Fork offset (30mm) and pitch (210mm) are designed to provide sporty handling.
- Pull type single rear shock actually extends as the rear wheel moves through its stroke. The shock is mounted between the engine and the swingarm and offers 116mm (4.6") of rear wheel travel.
- Dual floating 267mm front discs are squeezed by R6 inspired four piston monoblock calipers. Braking performance and lever feedback is excellent … just like on a sport motorcycle.
- Larger 282mm rear disc with single piston caliper provides strong, reliable stopping power.
- Parking brake mechanism provides additional confidence when parking the TMAX on unlevel ground. A convenient handlebar-mounted lever activates a special secondary brake caliper to prevent the unit from moving. The lever is designed to interfere with the left handlebar to prevent the unit from being ridden when the park brake activated.
- Lightweight 15" mag style die cast aluminum 5-spoke wheels. Front wheel size is 3.50-X15 and is fitted with 120/70R15 tire, while the rear wheel size is 5.00x15 and is fitted with a wide 160/60R15 tire. Both tires are tubeless and radial construction.
- Roomy, 2-person seat ensures excellent comfort. The rider portion of the seat features a 3 position back support for even more comfort and allows the rider’s position to be adjusted forward or backward to add or reduce leg room.
- Large, locking under seat storage compartment can easily hold a full-face helmet. A vanity light is provided in the rear section of the trunk for added convenience.
- Additional storage can also be found in the front area of the rider cockpit. There are two storage compartments on the left and right side of the inner fairing panel.
- 15 litre fuel tank includes a 3 litre reserve portion and an internal electric fuel pump.
- 2 position adjustable windshield provides excellent wind and weather protection. The windshield features a "hard coated" finish for scratch protection. There is a 55mm (2.2") height difference between the low and high positions.
- Dual 55-watt halogen projector headlights provide a bright beam of light as well as that sleek, dual cat-eye image.
- Eye-catching diamond shaped LED rear taillight provides excellent visibility
- Sports style front fairing/cowl and floorboards provide excellent splash and wind protection and highlights the TMAX’s functional side. The faring features 2 additional storage compartments
- Multi-function instrumentation panel provides a sense of depth and a 3D feeling. Analog functions include speedometer and tachometer. Digital functions include dual tripmeters, clock, temp gauge, fuel gauge and fuel tripmeter. Other functions include outside air temp, plus average and instantaneous fuel consumption readouts. There also V-belt and oil trip functions to inform the rider of pending maintenance.
- Folding mirrors
- Convenient spin on type oil filter
- Rugged plastic stone chip protectors on fork legs help prevent damage
- 5-postion adjustable front and rear hand brake levers
- Convenient passenger grab rails
- Push-to-cancel-type turn signals
- Easy-to-use centre stand and new lightweight aluminum side stand
- Side stand safety lock-out switch prevents unit from being ridden when the side stand is down.
- 3-in-1 main ignition switch combines the ignition, fork lock and under seat storage compartment lock in one convenient switch.
- 12 amp hour low-maintenance, sealed battery
- Locking fuel cap is hidden by special-access panel located at the front of the seat.
- Stylish heat shield on muffler protects rider and passenger from hot components.
-*Folding passenger footpegs
- Conveniently located under seat service coupler for fast, easy diagnosis.
|Canada MSRP Price||$10,499 CDN|
|Engine||4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, inline twin|
|Bore and Stroke||68 x 73mm|
|Maximum Torque||5.3 kg-m (38.3 ft-lbs.) @ 5,250 rpm|
|Fuel Delivery||Mikuni 34 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption||19kpl/53mpg (Imp)|
|Ignition / Starting||TCI / Electric Start|
|Transmission||Fully automatic CVT|
|Suspension (Front)||43mm fork|
|Suspension (Rear)||Swingarm - single shock|
|Brakes (Front)||Dual 267mm discs|
|Brakes (Rear)||282mm disc|
|Height||1,420 or 1,475mm (55.9 or 58.1’’)|
|Ground Clearance||125mm (4.9")|
|Seat Height||800mm (31.5’’)|
|Fuel Capacity||15 litres (3.3 Imp. gallons)|
|Wet Weight||218kg (481 lb)|
|Maximum Load||197kg (434 lb)|
|Colour||Matte Metallic Dark Gray|