- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 40 @ 6500
- 659 L
If you are searching for a capable middleweight cruiser you should take a closer look at the Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic, as you won’t be disappointed by this beautiful and powerful Japanese beast.
For the starters, the 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic features a gorgeous design language and we especially like how Yamaha’s designers managed to seamlessly mix the old school style with contemporary lines.
Then there is the engine which is famous for its reliability and high end performances. The 649cc V-twin, air-cooled, SOHC unit features 2 valves per cylinder, is paired with a five speed transmission and offers an average fuel consumption of 59 mpg. Yamaha says that “the engine has been designed to produce strong torque and horsepower in the most usable riding range (50 to 120 km/hr),” so you can expect to a pretty sharp response.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic.
The 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom features an authentic 40 cubic-inch, air cooled V-twin. With long, low styling and lots of chrome, a great entry level ride, the 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic features clean, quiet shaft drive and an easy to ride demeanor. This V-Star is ready to impress!
Only the price tag will tell you this machine is a mid-size model.
Everything else - the long, low styling, the authentic 40 cubic-inch V-twin, the painstaking attention to detail — will just plain knock you out. Take one for a nice long ride, and you’ll see why. Big on value and good looks, the V-Star 650 Classic punches way above its weight. It’s a champion by unanimous decision.
2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic Features
- Beautifully chromed and polished 649cc (40-cubic-inch), air-cooled, SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder, 70 degree, V-twin cranks out torquey low- and mid-range power for smooth cruising performance. Maximum torque occurs at a low 3,000 rpm.
- This engine has been designed to produce strong torque and horsepower in the most usable riding range (50 to 120 km/hr).
- Twin Mikuni BDS28 carbs with throttle position sensors (TPS) provide crisp throttle response.
- Wide-ratio, 5-speed transmission ensures extremely usable, cruiser-friendly power delivery. 5th gear is an overdrive gear for reduced engine rpms at highway speeds for a smooth comfortable ride.
- Light clutch action is perfect for novice riders.
- Transistor controlled ignition (TCI) means sure starts and excellent engine performance. It is a no-maintenance design.
- Classic, side-mounted air cleaner not only adds to styling but also is easy to service the air filter.
- Automatic cam chain tensioners reduce maintenance and mechanical engine noise.
- Low-maintenance shaft drive provides quiet, clean, reliable performance with no chain adjustments or lube splatter.
- 2-into-2 chrome exhaust pipes create sleek styling while delivering strong low- and mid-range engine power. The conversion to aftermarket mufflers is fast and simple.
- Heel-toe shifter reinforces that classic image.
- Air Induction System (A.I.S.) reduces harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions.
- Lots of chrome engine parts highlight quality and value.
- Stout, large-diameter, double-cradle steel frame is designed to provide a low seat height with ample rider legroom.
- Long 1,625mm (64") wheelbase provides a stable ride and predictable handling while creating that long and low retro look.
- Beefy, 41mm front fork with Road Star-inspired shrouds offers 140mm (5.5") of wheel travel to ensure a smooth, comfortable ride.
- Chromed fork shrouds, top triple clamp, and one-piece handlebar holder show attention to detail.
- 7-step, spring preload-adjustable, single-shock rear suspension allows the rider to tailor spring settings to match load or road conditions. Rear wheel travel is 98mm (3.9").
- Rear shock is mounted under the engine for that classic, hardtail look. By positioning the shock low in the chassis, it lowers the centre of gravity for a light, easy-to-maneuver feel.
- Single 298mm front disc brake with twin piston caliper delivers strong, confidence-inspiring stopping power.
- Easy-to-adjust rear drum brake with wear indicator
- Plushly padded, low-profile rider and passenger seats provide exceptional rider comfort. The low 710mm (27.9") seat height allows most riders to put feet firmly on the ground for extra confidence.
- Full-size rider floorboards with floating rubber inserts reduce vibration while providing ample legroom for maximum rider comfort.
- Wide retro-style handlebars evoke a classic design. Extra wide levers provide a quality look and feel.
- Wide front and rear tires fitted to spoked, chrome wheels combine retro styling with solid handling and traction.
- Deeply valanced steel front and rear fenders are both durable and unmistakably classic. Their steel design means they are easy to customize and paint.
- Large, 16-litre fuel tank for an extra long cruising range.
- Beautiful, tank-mounted speedometer features an odometer and tripmeter displays.
- Industry-leading, Star family fit and finish features rich, lustrous paint and extensive chrome accents creating a machine as stunning as it is powerful.
- Chrome, 60/55-watt, halogen headlight
- Low-maintenance, sealed battery ensures reliable, no-hassle starting.
- Beautiful, 3D, fuel tank emblem reinforces the Star family’s quality image.
- Locking helmet holder
- Locking side cover storage compartment adds convenience and security
- Steering lock
- Self-cancelling turn signals with stylish, clear signal lenses
- Bungee cord tie-down points near passenger footpegs prevent unwanted scratches
|Engine||Air-cooled,SOHC, 4-valve, 70°, V-twin|
|Bore and Stroke||81 x 63mm|
|Maximum Torque||5.2kg-m (37.5 ft-lb)@ 3,000 rpm|
|Fuel Delivery||Mikuni BDS28 x 2|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption*||21kpl / 59mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting||TCI / Electric|
|Suspension (Front)||Adjustable link Monocross|
|Brakes (Front)||Single 298mm disc|
|Seat Height||710mm (28")|
|Fuel Capacity||16 litres (3.5 imp. gallons)|
|Wet Weight||247kg (545 lb)|
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.