The Yamaha WR250R is a direct descendent of the WR250F – a rugged motorbike designed only for off road. Unlike its sibling the WR250R has a more serene character and can be used without problems for both street and dirt riding.
The first street legal Yamaha WR250R was launched in 2008 and since then it continued to impress the dual purpose bike lovers with its superior performances.
After four years, the WR250R’s design remained almost unchanged and all you get for 2013 is a new set of graphics.
The bike features a competent alloy chassis which is combined with a reliable 250 cc liquid-cooled DOHC engine. The engine is combined with two titanium intake valves and two steel exhausts.
To help the bike deal with harsh terrains with poise, Yamaha gave it a special asymmetrical swingarm which comes with cast aluminum crossmembers, extruded arms and a 22mm rear axle. Furthermore a fully adjustable 46mm fork provides 10.6 inches of wheel travel.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha WR250R
- Directly descended from our YZ motocrossers and WR off-road machines, the WR250R is here to make Yamaha’s off-road prowess street accessible.
- Not exactly an enduro model and not a streetbike either, the WR250R is for riders who ride off-road more than on.
- 250cc liquid-cooled, DOHC engine with two titanium intake valves and two steel exhausts, forged piston and plated cylinder for outstanding durability.
- Pentroof combustion chamber with downdraft-type straight intake helps make excellent power across the rev band, with maximum power at 10,000 rpm.
- First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike. The system relies on input from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feeding a compact ECU to provide optimum combustion.
- An ECU-controlled EXUP® exhaust valve, along with an electronic intake control valve, broadens the powerband.
- High lift cams have WPC surface treatment in which the surface is sprayed with fine powder at over 100 meters per second to increase surface hardness.
- Three-axis engine layout keeps the engine compact. Wet sump tucks between frame rails to keep the engine height down.
- Rare earth-type ACM alternator keeps the weight down while providing all the current needed to run the FI and lighting systems.
- Direct ignition coil sits atop the spark plug—another first on a Yamaha on-off road model.
- Six-speed gearbox provides a wide spread of ratios, with shower-type lubrication for reliability. A special light-action clutch makes shifting a snap.
- Tucked-in, three-chamber muffler helps keep mass centralized and the bike quiet.
- Electric start only: Leaving off the kickstarter keeps it light and simple.
- YZ / WR250-inspired semi-double-cradle frame uses a main frame of cast and forged aluminum sections, with high-strength steel downtubes for excellent strength and rigidity characteristics.
- Asymmetrical swingarm provides excellent strength/rigidity balance and a dynamic look. Cast aluminum crossmembers, extruded arms and a 22mm rear axle are carefully tuned for optimum handling.
- Fully adjustable 46mm fork provides 10.6 inches of wheel travel. A forged lower triple clamp and a cast upper one help give outstanding front-end feel. An aluminum steering stem reduces weight.
- Linkage-mounted rear shock provides 10.6 inches of travel with adjusters for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload—and features a 14mm rod and 46mm cylinder for excellent damping and fade resistance.
- Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large 250mm front disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance. Rear pedal is forged aluminum.
- A slim, steel fuel tank is shaped with knee grip in mind, and the entire ergonomic layout is designed to make the rider feel like part of the bike.
- Narrow, YZ-inspired seat features gripper-type cover for great seat-of-the-pants feel. Seat height is 36.6 inches.
- WR enduro-style instrument panel provides excellent visibility in spite of the compact size. Basic mode provides speed, clock, tripmeter and self-diagnostic function. Measurement mode includes stopwatch, distance-compensating tripmeter, etc.
- Minimalist front and rear fenders are designed for function, simplicity, and lightness.
- Bodywork with separate radiator heat outlet helps keep engine and rider cool.
- Lightweight headlight and LED taillight maximize visibility and draw less current.
- Adjustable front brake lever.
|Engine Type||250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves|
|Bore x Stroke||77.0 x 53.6mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel injection|
|Ignition||TCI with direct ignition coil|
|Transmission||Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Suspension / Front||Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Single shock; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Hydraulic single-disc brake, 250mm|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic single-disc brake, 230mm|
|Tires / Front||80/100-21|
|Tires / Rear||120/80-18|
|Seat Height||36.6 in|
|Ground Clearance||11.8 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.0 gal|
|Fuel Economy**||71 mpg|
|Wet Weight***||295 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|