- 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 5 titanium valves
- Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Fuel Injection
- 449 cc
Compared to the old model, the new generation Yamaha WR450F was completely redesigned. While the old model was built with speed and casual off roading in mind, the new model is more focused on crossed country and enduro rides. Thereby the new bike is a better racer than the old one and also features a tougher character.
One of the most important upgrades is the improved chassis. Technically the new chassis consists of an YZ250F frame fitted with a strong 449cc engine. Compared to the old frame, the new one has a better torsional rigidity and is made of a combination of forged and extruded aluminium pieces.
The bike is also equipped with a digital enduro computer which offers speedometer, clock, tripmeter or or pace management functions such as timer, distance-compensating tripmeter, average speed when switched to race mode.
Hit the jump for more information in the Yamaha WR450F
- A YZ-bred advanced aluminum frame—carefully engineered from castings, forgings and extrusions—enhances handling while retaining legendary Yamaha feel and characteristics.
- Highly evolved five-titanium-valved engine starts with the push of a button.
- Highly functional digital enduro computer offers speedometer, clock, tripmeter, etc., in basic mode—or pace management functions such as timer, distance-compensating tripmeter, average speed, etc., when switched to race mode.
- The WR450F is green sticker approved for California.
- 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke with five titanium valves delivers more broad power than ever, with high over-rev capacity and crisp, linear throttle response.
- Fuel injection system delivers quick throttle response and smooth power delivery at nearly all altitudes and temperatures.
- Special crank balance factor and AC generator provide super-smooth running. A piston oil-jet provides increased cooling for long life.
- Dry-sump lubrication system carries the oil reservoir inside the engine cases, for excellent mass centralization and simplified plumbing.
- Digital TCI ignition system delivers precise spark and monitors engine speed to provide optimal timing for fast, strong response during hard acceleration.
- Large-capacity radiators with reinforcements provide maximum cooling efficiency with great strength.
- Wide-ratio five-speed transmission uses strengthened gears and YZ450F-spec multiplate clutch—good for quick-hitting power in the woods, as well as eye-opening top-end power.
- Lightweight exhaust system maximizes engine power.
- Aluminum muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor looks trick and keeps things light.
- Works-style clutch lever features oversize barrel adjuster for easy, on-the-fly adjustability of lever/cable play.
- Electric start provides easy restarts.
Chassis and Suspension
- YZ250F-inspired frame makes for a compact size while optimizing mass centralization. With its extensively tested assembly of aluminum forgings and extrusions, the WR frame retains legendary Yamaha handling and response.
- Compact YZ250F-based chassis provides a lightweight feeling with plush suspension performance for the most demanding rider.
- Removable aluminum rear subframe is constructed of square-section tube.
- Fully adjustable YZ-based KYB® air/oil-separate 48mm cartridge-type fork delivers precise, fade-free handling; fork protectors provide excellent tube protection.
- Tapered swingarm adopts YZ-style linkage for controlled, compliant rear suspension action. Lightweight axle and holders reduce weight in a critical area.
- The KYB® shock provides 11.6 inches of travel with adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping, rebound and spring preload—and features a large piggyback reservoir for excellent damping and fade resistance.
- Wave-style brake discs reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance. Front and rear calipers with aluminum pistons deliver strong stopping power with progressive feel.
- Lightweight 21-inch front and 18-inch rear Excel® rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance.
- Repackable aluminum muffler shaves weight.
- Premium Dunlop® knobbies offer unbeatable, competition-spec traction and excellent wear.
- Cool YZ-derived bodywork and a thick seat look great and feel excellent on long rides. Tapered aluminum handlebar in forged triple clamp for light weight and great comfort.
- All this, including: tool-less access air box, Excel® rims, 18” rear wheel, tapered aluminum handlebars, wave-type brake rotors, electric start, on-the-fly clutch adjuster, O-ring chain and aluminum side stand. This machine is ready for tight trails, woods, or desert fun.
- Slim-design lightweight fuel tank holds 2.1 gallons.
- One-piece, high-strength, plastic skidplate shaves weight and offers great protection.
- Lightweight, 35-watt headlight and sweet LED taillight maximize visibility and draw less current.
- Adjustable front brake lever.
- Ultra-wide footpegs for more comfort.
- Repackable aluminum muffler shaves weight.
- Wheel collars make wheel removal quick and easy.
|Engine Type||449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 5 titanium valves|
|Bore x Stroke||95.0mm x 63.4mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Transmission||Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Final Drive||Chain Drive|
|Suspension / Front||Inverted fork; fully adjustable; 11.8-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Single shock; fully adjustable, 11.6-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Hydraulic single disc brake|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic single disc brake|
|Tires / Front||80/100-21M|
|Tires / Rear||120/90-18M|
|Seat Height||37.8 in|
|Ground Clearance||13.2 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.1 gal|
|Wet Weight***||273 lb|
|Warranty||30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)|
Totalmotorcycle ---- "Yamaha’s WR450F is ready to tame the roughest single track or attack a Hare Scrambles course with its adjustable YZ based 48mm Speed Sensitive System fork and fully adjustable KYB piggyback shock. But the YZ connection does not stop there; the YZ250F inspired Bilateral Beam aluminum frame provides light, nimble handling while the YZ250F bodywork means fast, easy rider movements. Oh yeah, the YZ based brakes with wave -style rotors stop things in a hurry too. The WR450F, designed to deliver winning performance on the track and all day versatility and fun on the trail."
Motorcycle-Usa ---- "With 2.1 gallons of fuel available, the fuel injected mill was always one of the first to run out along with the Honda (1.9 gallons). Beta holds 2.1 gallons as well, but the carbureted 450 is likely the most efficient. They scored the same for fuel capacity, but the Yamaha will run out a bit earlier. The WR is the first to give a fuel warning light, but our longest leg was just over 75 miles and the Honda was the only one to coast in of fumes. "
Cycleworld ---- "The biggest changes are to the WR450’s chassis, which is essentially a YZ250F frame stuffed with the reliable five-valve 450cc Sin gle. Other than moving some mounts and changing a few gussets, the frame is almost identical to the Lites-class MXer’s. Constructed with a combination of forged and extruded aluminum pieces, the frame has more torsional and lateral rigidity, meaning it has less side-to-side flex. In an effort to improve the bike’s center of gravity and limit the effects of rotational mass, the engine has been placed in the frame with the cylinder in a more-vertical position. An immediate benefit is that the new frame makes the bike feel smaller, allowing the rider to easily move around and also making the bike easier to handle. Other plusses include a nearly half-inch lower seat and improved ground clearance over the previous WR."