The Yamaha YZF450R is a relativelly compact ATV powered by a fuel injected 449cc, 4-Stroke Single, liquid cooled 5-Valve DOHC engine mated on a five speed transmission.
The Yamaha YFZ450R features a sporty and modern design language, an ergonomic handlebar and a well padded seat. To increase comfort, the ATV’s body panels that the rider contacts during operation are of a softer plastic material.
The wheels come with the inner lip rolled, a feature that improves rigidity and saves weight. Talking about the wheels they are 50 inches wide, are wrapped in rugged Dunlop tires and measure 21 inches in the front and 20 inches in the rear offering a pretty high ground clearance.
To keep the weight down without affecting the overall rigidity, the ATV features a bolted, lightweight aluminum frame with a tensioned steel frame member.
The Yamaha YZF450 R sits on front 44mm KYB shocks which offer 9.8 inches of wheel travel and a rear, fully adjustable 46mm KYB® piggyback shock absorber which offers a wheel travel of 11.0 inches.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha YFZ450R.
- The prestigious “ATV of the Year” Award from ATV Sport Magazine. “Best in Class” from ATV/SxS Illustrated. Winner of shootout after shootout. The YFZ450R took ’em all – in its first model year, right out of the starting gate. This is one amazing ATV!
- In ATV motocross, great power output doesn’t mean much without superior handling. YFZ450R delivers! The stance of the YFZ450R is motocross ready. The weldless frame is designed from lightweight aluminum, with a tension-steel bottom frame that lets the engine sit lower for excellent mass centralization. Suspension components have more travel, carefully chosen for best performance, and the front shock bodies feature Kashima coating for even smoother operation.
- Fatigue can sometimes be a racer’s worst competition. That’s why the YFZ450R’s designers made this ATV so comfortable. It boasts racer friendly ergonomics with plenty of room to hang off in the corners, and the seat is padded just right to be more comfortable regardless of riding position. Handlebars are 4-position adjustable, too, so every rider can choose the best position, and the throttle has been designed for all day comfort.
- This 449cc engine uses titanium five-valve cylinder head technology, with a camshaft designed just for this machine to deliver abundant low to midrange torque for performance where you can really use it to take the lead – while still maintaining a super strong top end to let you pull away from the pack.
- The YFZ450R incorporates Yamaha Fuel Injection for precise fuel delivery. With big 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and 12-hole injector, this system provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum power. The system also includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
- This ATV is designed to make race prep easy. Body panels come off easily for service; there’s no need to remove the battery or other components to get the fenders off. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability. And the oil tank is integrated with the crankcase so it’s easier to service the engine.
- The fuel-injected 449cc engine has superb power characteristics. Power delivery is smooth and strong off the line with lots of low and mid range where you need it.
- The crankcase holds a crankshaft that’s ready to handle the increased balance ratio, as well as a counterbalancer for superior vibration control. The crankcase also houses the oil tank, which helps to centralize mass for unmatched handling and makes maintenance easier.
- Camshafts are designed to maximize the torque available in the low and mid ranges.
- Fuel injection uses a 12-hole injector that provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum combustion efficiency and power delivery. The system also uses a big, 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
- The chassis is very spacious, allowing room for even an aggressive racer to move around during the moto, and the ATV’s body panels that the rider contacts during operation are of a softer plastic material for greater comfort. The seat is narrow in the front, yet wide and padded in the rear to provide a more comfortable ride, even when hanging off on the side of the seat in a turn.
- The wheel has been designed with the inner lip rolled in. This increases the rigidity, allowing a reduction in weight while maintaining strength.
- Wheels are set motocross-spec wide, near the maximum allowable 50 inches, for great cornering ability. The Dunlop® tires are grippy with a great pattern for cornering, and at 20 inches in the rear and 21 inches in the front, provide much better ground clearance than the competition. That makes the YFZ450R fun to ride off-road, too.
- Handlebars are mounted on 4-way clamps for exceptional adjustability. There are two sets of holes in the handlebar crown, and eccentric clamps so the rider can choose the standard setting, 10mm or 20mm forward, or 10mm back.
- Foot pegs are a generous 2.6 inches wide, something riders will appreciate every time they want to get up on the pegs, with good kick-up on the ends for solid footing.
- The frame is aluminum for lightweight, except for the frame member under the engine. Here tensioned steel is used for its combination of strength and thinness. This allowed the designers to sit the engine lower overall for excellent mass centralization for unmatched handling. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability.
- The front frame is noticeably narrow at the A-arm mounting points. This dramatically reduces changes in camber as the long A-arms travel through their full range of motion. The front 44mm KYB® shocks have Kashima coating for smooth operation with superb bump absorption and excellent anti-bottoming characteristics. The 9.8 inches of wheel travel means this racer is up to even the most challenging tracks.
- The rear swingarm is crafted of strong, gravity-fed aluminum, and it’s matched to a fully adjustable 46mm KYB® piggyback shock absorber for excellent handling. Rear wheel travel is 11.0 inches for comfort even on tough terrain.
- For excellent stopping ability, YFZ450R features dual front hydraulic disc brakes and a trick looking, lightweight wave-type rear rotor.
- The throttle lever requires low effort, and it’s very comfortable to use. That means less fatigue during all-day riding.
- The instrumentation is all business. The discrete panel on the fender in front of the rider gives vital indicators about low fuel, coolant temperature, check engine, and neutral gear via a straightforward LED display.
|Engine Type||449cc, 4-Stroke Single, Liquid Cooled w/Fan, Titanium 5-Valve DOHC|
|Bore x Stroke||95mm x 63.4mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 42mm|
|Ignition||Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||5-Speed Manual Clutch|
|Drive Train||2WD; Sealed O-Ring Chain, Eccentric Adjustment|
|Suspension / Front||Independent double wishbone, w/Kashima coated piggy back shocks, High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 9.8-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Cast aluminum swingarm w/piggyback High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 11.0-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Brakes / Rear||Wave-style ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Tires / Front||AT21x7-10 Radial|
|Tires / Rear||AT20x10-9 Radial|
|L x W x H||70.7 x 48.8 x 41.9 in|
|Seat Height||31.9 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.5 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.6 gal|
|Wet Weight||403 lb|
|Lighting||Dual 30W Krypton multireflector Headlights and 3.9/0.5W LED Brake light|
|Warranty||6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)|