Meet the fresh Yamaha FJR1300ES a bike that is around for 13 years and thanks to its constant upgrades continues to keep it up with the best models in its class.
After the last year’s model received important features such as traction control, ride-by-wire throttle, new headlights the new 2014 model year is packed with electronically adjustable suspensions.
The new electronic suspension adjustment can adjusts to different riding conditions and offers a choice of four settings for preload, including “One Up,” “One Up with Luggage,” “Two Up,” and “Two Up with Luggage,” adding a choice of “Soft,” “Standard” and “Hard” for damping force adjustment for each setting. The suspension setup cab easily controlled using handlebar mounted buttons.
The motorcycle is propelled by the same 1298cc, liquid-cooled, inline, 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves, fuel injected engine which is mated on a 5-speed transmission with multiplate wet clutch.
The new FJR1300ES is offered with a base price of $16,890. The old FJR1300A model that is not fitted with electronically adjustable suspension continues to be available next to the new ES series with a base price of $15,890.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES.
The FJR1300ES features an all-new electronically adjustable suspension to take the bother out of adjusting the suspensions to fit different riding conditions and bring greater convenience to touring.
The new 2014 FJR1300ES offers the same aggressive styling features, including the headlight cowl and side fairing as the FJR1300A. The flexible side panels are not only great looking, they also adjust to help improve comfort and aid in weather protection.
FJR1300ES riders can select D-mode (Drive-mode) for varying mappings, giving the motorcycle exceptional versatility. This works in conjunction with YCC-T® (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) generating engine character that can be sportier or more relaxed depending on the riding situations.
Traction control developed from MotoGP® technology is standard on the FJR1300ES. While engaged, the system detects wheel spin and adjusts ignition timing, fuel injection volume, and throttle valve opening to help maintain traction, unlike some competitors who’s system only cuts ignition creating a hard cut-out feeling. The system is designed to let the operator ride on roads that have limited traction with more confidence.
Another popular feature standard on the FJR1300ES is cruise control. Riders can set cruising speed with the push of a button on the left handlebar to provide comfort and ease on extended road trips.
A three-part instrument panel provides riders with all the information they need while enjoying the road. Riders can easily customize the display to show the information they want.
The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons — provides balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.
A pushbutton-adjustable windscreen and a thick comfy seat for two are perfect for comfortable, long-distance riding and come standard on the FJR1300ES.
Additional features on the 2014 FJR1300ES include a two-position adjustable rider seat, low for shorter riders or nearly 1-inch higher for a more spacious feel for taller riders, plus handlebars that can be adjusted to one of three different positions. The result is a superb, custom-fit ride.
New for 2014:
An electronically adjustable suspension has been adopted that adjusts it to fit different riding conditions and bring greater convenience to touring. This system provides a choice of four settings for preload, including “One Up,” “One Up with Luggage,” “Two Up,” and “Two Up with Luggage,” adding a choice of “Soft,” “Standard” and “Hard” for damping force adjustment for each setting. In addition, this damping force can be fine tuned three positions firmer or softer from standard within each “Soft”, “Standard” and “Hard” setting.
This electronically adjustable suspension function adjusts the damping force of the front suspension and the preload and damping force of the rear suspension in a comprehensive way that maintains proper balance between the two suspensions. The adjustments can be performed quickly with the handlebarmounted switch and then confirmed on the instrument panel display.
In order to make this electronically adjustable suspension function possible, upside-down front forks with independent right and left damper mechanisms is adopted. In this independent right and left damper design, the compression stroke damping force is generated in the left fork and the rebound stroke damping force is generated in the right fork, just like the suspension proven on the YZF-R1®.
- Compact, lightweight 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine delivers power and torque for an unequaled spread of muscle over a wide rpm range.
- Slant-block engine design uses stacked, tri-axis gearbox shafts that help minimize powerplant size while optimizing chassis geometry for balanced weight distribution and great handling.
- Lightweight forged pistons with carburized connecting rods provide superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass for outstanding durability and performance throughout the whole rpm range.
- Advanced fuel injection system is ideal for long-distance super sport touring, delivering crisp, seamless throttle response in a variety of altitude/weather conditions.
- Low-vibration crankshaft with two gear-driven secondary counterbalancers help deliver an extra-smooth ride with reduced rider/passenger fatigue.
- Four-into-one-into-two stainless-steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the powerband.
- Sharp-looking bodywork and air-management system keep the bike and rider cooler; a central vent beneath the instrument panel cools the rider and reduces negative pressure for less buffeting, and fairing side panels with tool-less adjustability let the rider direct airflow.
- Long swingarm provides excellent ride and handling characteristics.
- Standard equipment Unified Braking System with ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons — provides balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.
- Ergonomically shaped, large-capacity, 6.6-gallon fuel tank offers excellent comfort and range and is constructed of steel allowing for the use of magnetic tank bags.
- Rear frame with integrated grab handle makes lifting the bike onto the centerstand a snap.
- Dual catalyzers and an O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for excellent fuel injection control range and low emissions.
- Heated grips come standard on the FJR1300ES and offer riders even more convenience. Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy use of the standard accessory hard side cases, which are conveniently matched to the ignition key.
- Slim profile even with bags in place for excellent in-town maneuverability.
- Suede-look dual seat features two-part construction using different foam densities for the front and rear sections, ensuring plush comfort for both rider and passenger.
- Windscreen adjusts over a wide range for improved wind protection with little negative pressure and the adjustable speed is now twice as fast, and the screen holds its position when the key is turned off.
- Sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling, and feature easy-access adjustment knobs so the rider can adjust the lights up or down.
- Glove box contains a 12V outlet for phones, GPS units, electric vests, etc.
- Standard tool kit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
- LED front turn signals/position lights give the FJR1300ES the modern, high-tech look sport touring riders want.
|MSRP||$16,890 (Candy Red) Available from November 2013|
|Engine||1298cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves|
|Bore x Stroke 79.0 x 66.2mm||Compression Ratio 10.8:1|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Ignition TCI||Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||5-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Suspension / Front||43mm upside down forks with electronic adjustment; 5.3-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Single shock; electronically adjustable suspension: 4.9-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual 320mm disc, UBS ABS|
|Brakes / Rear||282mm disc, UBS ABS|
|Tires / Front||120/70-ZR17 radial|
|Tires / Rear||180/55-ZR17 radial|
|Height||52.2 or 57.3 in|
|Seat Height||31.7 or 32.5 in|
|Ground Clearance||4.9 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26°|
|Fuel Capacity||6.6 gal|
|Fuel Economy||36 mpg|
|Wet Weight||644 lb / CAL 646 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|