Built to be able to deliver first class touring performances, the 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere is always ready for adventure.
It features a tough construction and a potent inline twin, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke 2-cylinder DOHC engine with a displacement of 1199 cc which comes with a slightly increased power and torque for 2014. The unit is combined with a traction control system, electronic cruise control and a six speed transmission.
The 2014 model year also comes with a recalibrated Drive Mode, a redesigned windscreen, a modified handlebar position, new meter displays and LED turn signals. For enhanced versatility, the 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere features a multi-function carrier system on back which can help you install effortless optional luggage or touring accessories.
The new 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere is priced at $15,090 and will be available in showrooms from April 2014.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha Super Ténéré.
The ultimate transcontinental adventurer now better than ever: more powerful inline twin; electronic cruise control; 6-speed transmission; YCC-T and 2-position Drive Model; traction control; ABS brakes; and adjustable seat.
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré Key Features:
• The Super Ténéré is built for adventure, with an exceptionally compact 1199cc parallel twin using a unique 270° crank for excellent torque and traction. Engine mass is kept low for great handling. Narrow 2-cylinder inline engine is slim and compact for carving tight lines in twisty mountain roads.
• Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has the right gear, whether on the open highway or off-road.
• Twin downdraft throttle body fuel injection with YCC-T® (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) delivers optimum throttle control and acceleration. Two-position “D-Mode” (Drive Mode) throttle response mapping for rider preference.
• Traction control lets the rider get on the gas with more confidence. This very advanced system regulates ignition timing, fuel injection and throttle valve opening based on wheel spin, providing a smooth response that is not abrupt like the competitors. Three modes available to match rider preference, including off.
• Super Ténéré has both an Antilock Braking System (ABS) and Unified Braking System (UBS). With UBS, squeezing the front brake alone also provides some rear-wheel braking; pressing the rear brake first overrides UBS for traditional separate front and rear braking action.
• Whether riding across town or crossing a continent, rider comfort and convenience are important. Super Ténéré delivers, with an adjustable seat height and windshield, tunable front and rear suspension, low-maintenance shaft drive, and more.
• Multi-function carrier system on back is ready for optional luggage and touring accessories.
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré Features and Benefits:
New for 2014:
• For 2014, the 1199cc twin enjoys a modest increase in horsepower and torque that makes for an even more exciting engine character with more pulling power. The adjustments also result in stronger and smoother acceleration.
• Drive Mode has been recalibrated to provide more noticeable difference between the T setting and the S setting.
• The windscreen has been redesigned to provide superior wind protection with less wind noise, and the height can be adjusted quickly and easily without tools.
• The handlebar position has been moved 10mm closer to the rider, and 10mm higher, enhancing comfort.
• A new easy-to-read meter displays information in a very clear format; mode selection is simple to operate.
• The turn signals are now LED, adding to the overall visual appeal of the motorcycle
• The 1199cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine features a unique 270° crank for superior traction because both pistons fire so closely together. It’s almost like having a big-bore thumper without the uncomfortable vibration.
• Compact engine design uses a dry-sump oil supply inside the crankcase plus a side-mounted radiator for surprising narrowness.
• The 8-valve cylinder head optimizes the fuel charge for spirited performance. The cylinder head cover is ultra-lightweight magnesium to help centralize mass.
• Forged aluminum pistons and carburized connecting rods for durability and performance.
• Downdraft twin bore fuel injection system with 12-hole injectors is tuned for off-road adventures, and is equally at home on long stretches of open highway.
• Proven YCC-T fly-by-wire technology allows for an advanced traction control system, which regulates ignition timing and fuel injection volume and throttle valve opening based on rear wheel spin. Three rider-selected modes are available to match conditions and the rider’s preference.
• Revised for 2014, Yamaha D-Mode has two settings: “T-mode” for Touring and general riding, giving a softer response; “S-mode” for Sport riding when the rider wants the most performance possible.
• Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has gear ratios optimized for everything from slow dirt roads to higher speed sport riding.
• The steel frame is designed to reduce rider fatigue during long rides. Using a steel main frame offers the best balance of strength and flexibility so it can help absorb jolts from uneven road surfaces.
• The ABS and Unified Brake System (UBS) work together to help prevent wheel lock during braking. This system allows the rider to operate front and rear brakes together by simply pulling the front brake lever, especially helpful when riding while standing on the pegs. Applying the rear brake first overrides UBS to provide traditional separate front and rear brake control.
• Adjustable preload suspension allows the rider to adjust for varying loads or a passenger. The forks are compression and rebound adjustable and the rear shock is rebound-damping adjustable as well.
• The Super Ténéré comes equipped with adjustable windshield and seat height. One inch of seat height adjustment provides a low height for shorter riders or a roomier riding position for taller riders in the high position.
• The grooved foot pegs show Yamaha’s attention to detail. While the rider is seated, rubber cushions provide excellent comfort. When the rider stands to tackle more technical riding conditions, the rubber compresses, letting the rider’s boots contact the metal foot peg surface.
• Handlebar brush guards are standard equipment.
• The optional flexible luggage system design has three possible set-ups: standard with no top case/side bags, top case installed, or side cases installed. Genuine Yamaha top case and side cases designed for adventure touring are available as accessories. These accessories were included during the design of the motorcycle so as to enhance the look of the bike.
• Body components help direct cooling airflow to critical areas of the bike.
• Both side stand and center stand are provided for complete parking convenience.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke 2-cylinder DOHC|
|Bore x Stroke||98.0 x 79.5mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection with YCC-T|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Suspension / Front||Telescopic fork, 43mm tube, adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping, 7.5-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Monoshock, adjustable preload and rebound damping, 7.5-in of travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual 310mm hydraulic disc, ABS/Unified Brake System|
|Brakes / Rear||282mm single disc|
|Tires / Front||110/80R19M/C 59V|
|Tires / Rear||150/70R17M/C 69V|
|Seat Height||33.3 or 34.3 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||28.0°|
|Fuel Capacity||6.0 gal|
|Fuel Economy**||43 mpg|
|Wet Weight***||578 lb|
|Colors||Team Yamaha Blue, Matte Gray/Matte Black|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
|Price||$15,090 Available from April 2014|
* Price and Specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner’s Manual and all labels before operation.
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your, vechile, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vechile with all standart equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisions with other models.