The Yamaha YZF450R has received a series of upgrades for 2014. Among them you’ll find a few engine upgrades including a new ECU, more power and stronger mid-range performance. There is also a lighter clutch and a new throttle body assembly and muffler shape.
Yamaha’s engineers have decided to redesign the ATV’s suspensions too. Therefore the YZF450R comes with new front and rear shock absorbers.
Apart from the technical upgrades, the 2014 model year also comes with an all-new bodywork, new side shrouds and new heel guards.
The ATV rides on new Maxxis tires that feature a new design for improved traction. The wheels are powered by a 449 cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC titanium 5-Valve engine which is mated to a 5-Speed Manual Clutch.
The Yamaha YFZ450R is offered with a starting price of $8,799 and is available since July 2013.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha YFZ450R.
The YFZ450R is the most technologically advanced sport ATV on the market today. It is simply the top of the line “racing” level Sport ATV. It combines a high-tech, quick-revving, titanium five-valve, 449cc fuel-injected engine with a lightweight, professional-caliber cast aluminum/steel chassis. The power/chassis combination will make for a championship-winning machine time and time again.
The YFZ450R is motocross ready. The weldless frame is designed from lightweight aluminum, with a tensionsteel bottom frame that lets the engine sit lower for excellent mass centralization. All-new suspension components and settings for 2014 reduce weight while providing light, agile handling characteristics with an excellent balance of sharp handling and rider comfort.
For 2014, all-new bodywork is designed for great ergonomics and rider comfort, with more room to hang off in the corners, and the seat shape is padded in just the right places to improve lap times. Body panels come off easily without tools for service; there’s no need to remove the battery or other components to take the fenders off.
More power for 2014. The 449cc engine uses titanium five-valve cylinder head technology, with new cam profiles, and a newly designed exhaust system to deliver abundant power in the mid-range to top end, with more “hit” feeling right off idle. The higher compression ratio further improves overall engine performance.
The YFZ450R incorporates Yamaha Fuel Injection for precise fuel delivery. With a big 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and 12-hole injector, this system provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum power. The system also includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
The industry’s first assist and slipper clutch on a Sport ATV reduces clutch lever effort by about 25% for less fatigue while at the same time increasing clutch plate pressure for positive engagement. Additionally, this new clutch system reduces the engine braking effect, which allows faster cornering, particularly when downshifting, and also allows the suspension to absorb bumps better during braking.
New for 2014:
- All-new engine settings including a new ECU and an increase in the compression ratio add power output while dramatically increasing mid-range performance.
- New assist and slipper clutch uses lighter clutch springs which results in a lighter clutch pull to reduce racer/rider fatigue while reducing the effect of engine braking while downshifting.
- New throttle body assembly and muffler shape combine to improve throttle response.
- All-new suspension, including new front and rear shock absorbers, reduces weight and provides exceptional handling characteristics and rider comfort.
- All-new bodywork design was focused on improving the racer’s/rider’s ability to move around. New side shrouds improve comfort and reduce fatigue while new heel guards are positioned closer to the chassis to centralize the riding position and provide more room.
- New tires from Maxxis® with new tread design focus on consistent sliding control and awesome traction during cornering.
- Yamaha Diagnostic Tool (YDT) has been added to improve serviceability.
- Assembled in Newnan, GA, U.S.A.
- The fuel-injected 449cc engine has superb power characteristics. Power delivery is smooth and strong off the line with lots of midrange to top end power where you need it.
- The crankcase holds a crankshaft that’s ready to handle the increased demands of the racer, as well as a counterbalancer for superior vibration control. To handle the engine’s new power, the crankshaft is even more durable for 2014 . The crankcase also houses the oil tank, which helps to centralize mass for unmatched handling while making maintenance easier.
- Camshafts have been revised to help maximize the engine’s impressive power output from off the line all the way up to the top end.
- Yamaha fuel injection uses a 12-hole injector that provides exceptional atomization of the fuel for maximum combustion efficiency and power delivery. The system also uses a big, 42mm Mikuni® throttle body and includes ISC (Idle Speed Control) for easy, reliable start-up and warming.
- The new body configuration allows more room for even an aggressive racer to move around during the moto. The seat is narrow in the front, yet wide and padded in the rear to reduce fatigue, especially when railing a turn.
- The wheels have been designed with the inner lip rolled in. This increases the rigidity, allowing a reduction in weight while maintaining strength.
- Wheels are set motocross-spec wide, near the maximum allowable 50 inches, for great cornering speed. The Maxxis® tires are designed to help provide excellent handling, sliding control, and traction. At 20 inches in the rear and 21 inches in the front, they provide much better ground clearance than the competition. That makes the YFZ450R fun to ride off-road, too.
- Large diameter, tapered handlebars reduce vibration and are mounted on 4-way clamps for exceptional adjustability. There are two sets of holes in the handlebar crown and the eccentric clamps so the rider can choose the standard setting, 10mm or 20mm forward, or 10mm back.
- Foot pegs are a generous 2.6 inches wide, something riders will appreciate every time they want to get up on the pegs. New heel guards provide more room and are positioned closer to the chassis for a slimmer feel.
- The frame is a combination of aluminum and steel for light weight. The frame member under the engine is steel, used for its combination of strength and low profile. This allowed the designers to sit the engine lower overall for excellent mass centralization for unmatched handling. The aluminum frame is bolted together, rather than welded, for maximum durability.
- The front frame is as narrow as possible at the A-arm mounting points. This dramatically increases the A-arm length, which reduces changes in camber as the suspension travels through its full range of motion.
- The new front KYB® shocks are longer for increased suspension stroke with superb bump absorption and excellent anti-bottoming characteristics, and they have Kashima™ coating for smooth operation. The 9.8 inches of wheel travel means this racer is up to even the most challenging tracks.
- The rear swingarm is crafted of strong, gravity-fed aluminum, and it’s matched to a fully adjustable 46mm KYB® piggyback shock absorber for excellent handling. Rear wheel travel is 11.0 inches for comfort even on tough terrain.
- For excellent stopping ability, YFZ450R features dual front hydraulic disc brakes and a trick-looking, lightweight wave-type rear rotor.
- The throttle lever requires low effort, and it’s very comfortable to use. That means less fatigue during long motos.
- The instrumentation is all business. The discrete panel on the fender in front of the rider gives vital indicators about low fuel, coolant temperature, check engine, and neutral gear via a straightforward LED display.
|Engine Type||449cc, liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke, DOHC titanium 5-Valve|
|Bore x Stroke||95mm x 63.4mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 42mm|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||5-Speed Manual Clutch|
|Drive Train||2WD; Sealed O-Ring Chain, Eccentric Adjustment|
|Suspension / Front||Independent double wishbone w/Kashima coated piggyback shocks, High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 9.8-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Cast aluminum swingarm w/piggyback High/Low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment; 11.0-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Brakes / Rear||Wave-style ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston|
|Tires / Front||AT21x7-10 Maxxis®|
|Tires / Rear||AT20x10-9 Maxxis®|
|L x W x H||70.7 x 48.8 x 41.9 in|
|Seat Height||31.9 in|
|Ground Clearance||9.3 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.6 gal|
|Wet Weight||405 lb|
|Warranty||6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)|