The Yamaha SR400 is a classic roadster that promises to offer a pretty fun riding experience. It weighs only 384 pounds and at its heart sits an air-cooled SOHC, 2 valve, fuel injected engine with a displacement of 399 cc. The unit transfers its power to the rear wheel by means of a five speed transmission with multiplate wet clutch and delivers a fuel consumption of 66.2 mpg.
The Yamaha SR400 also comes with a 31 inch seat height which is combined with a slim high-tensile steel semi-double cradle frame and an ergonomically designed handlebar offering a fairly relaxed riding position.
Other features worthy of being mentioned include a 3.2 gallon fuel tank, a compact 55.5 inch wheelbase and front disc brakes.
The Yamaha SR400 has a base price of $ 5,990 and comes with 1 year limited factory warranty.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha SR400.
Retro cool. Built to customize.
The new SR400 is a legendary classic that’s a kick to ride. With it’s retro 1970s styling and one of the best performing 399cc air-cooled engines, the SR400 embodies the true meaning of the saying “Everything old is new again.” Jump on, give the kickstarter a stab, and you will be on your way.
2015 Yamaha SR400 Key Features:
• The SR400 is powered by a 399cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, SOHC, 2-valve engine that produces a torquey, “thumper” engine character that makes it an absolute blast to ride.
• The SR weighs a mere 384 pounds and has a slim chassis and natural riding position with a low, 31-inch seat height. This combination makes for a machine that is well suited to both entry riders as well as experienced enthusiasts.
• Virtually unique among today’s street bikes, there’s no push-button starter. The SR400 is equipped with an easy-to-use kick starter as the only means of getting the engine running. That will draw smiles from old-school motorcycle fans and appeal to more modern motorcycle enthusiasts who value the allure of riding a motorcycle that stands out in the crowd.
• The Yamaha SR400 is the perfect motorcycle for both the custom bike builder and the rider who loves personalization. The SR is world renowned for its basis as the perfect platform as a Café or Street Tracker machine. Personalization and customization are limited only by the designer’s imagination.
2015 Yamaha SR400 Features and Benefits:
• The 399cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 2-valve power plant with electronic fuel injection combined with the SR’s light weight makes for a very fun motorcycle to ride.
• Easy to start kick-starter is actuated through a handlebar mounted compression release that makes starting the SR quick and easy, with very little effort.
• The torquey, single-cylinder engine provides “thumper” appeal and engine character with a feeling of direct power connection to the rear wheel adding to the fun factor of the SR.
• Single-cylinder design is easy to maintain.
• Slim, narrow, double-cradle steel frame makes for a very compact body design for excellent rider maneuverability.
• 3.2 gallon fuel tank offers excellent touring range with an estimated 96 miles per gallon* depending on the weight of the rider, passenger and any cargo.
• Compact 55.5” wheelbase makes for quick, light steering for fun riding when the roads get twisty.
• Front disc brake offers optimum stopping power.
• Chain final drive provides excellent power transfer to the rear wheel.
• Outstanding platform for personalization and customization.
Everything old is new again
Unlike some retro bikes that are modern interpretations of older designs, the SR400 is an authentic living classic which has been
constructed to virtually the same specification as the original model. With its air-cooled engine and twin-shock chassis, this timeless big single represents a return to motorcycling’s core values.
Pure mechanical beauty
Start with a 399cc air-cooled 4-stroke single-cylinder engine with one intake valve, one exhaust valve, and one exhaust pipe – timeless simplicity. Add a slim chassis with a natural riding position that delivers sporty relaxed handling. What you get is an authentic design and pure mechanical beauty that makes the SR400 a true classic, from any angle.
Retro style with proven technology
The Yamaha SR400 has stood the test of time like no other model. It represents everything that is good about motorcycling. And the same core values that appealed to yesterday’s motorcyclists are ready to inspire today’s generation of riders who appreciate retro style with proven technology like fuel injection, high-tensile steel semi-double cradle frame that doubles up as an oil tank, plush suspension, and an easy-to-start air-cooled 4-stroke single-cylinder engine.
Just kick it and go.
The big single has always held a special place in the hearts of motorcyclists but kick starting a big single can be a challenge. Yamaha engineers have made kick starting the SR400 a breeze using a decompressor and piston position indicator.
Built to customize.
This timeless retro just oozes charm and authenticity wherever you look. And as the basis for creating your own café racer, bobber or street scrambler, the SR400 offers endless possibilities.
|Engine Type||Air-cooled SOHC, 2-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||87.0 x 62.7mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||5 speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Suspension / Front||Telescopic; 5.9-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Swingarm; 4.1-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Hydraulic disc brake, 268mm|
|Brakes / Rear||150mm drum|
|Tires / Front||90/100-18M/C 54S|
|Tires / Rear||110/90-18M/C 61S|
|Seat Height||30.9 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27.7º|
|Fuel Capacity||3.2 gal|
|Fuel Economy**||66.2 mpg|
|Wet Weight***||384 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
|Price||$5,990 Available from May 2014|
* Price and Specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner’s Manual and all labels before operation.
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your, vechile, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vechile with all standart equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisions with other models.