The 2010 Zero DS is an electric bike with guts. It promises 96lb/ft of torque, all while weighing 277 pounds, and claims to have the ability to keep the rush coming on all kinds of terrains. What you’ll like about it the most is that it keeps its word on everything.
Zero Motorcycles, the global leader in the electric motorcycle industry, announced today the debut of its 2010 Zero DS electric motorcycle. This highly versatile dual sport now has more power, increased acceleration, and enhanced power pack technology. Continuing the innovation that they are known for, Zero has integrated its newly developed Z-Force™ Air Induction System into the Zero DS to enable greater performance both on and off-road. The cumulative result of this technology is a higher top speed, better performance off the line and improved ride quality. In addition to more performance, Zero is offering, for the first time, color graphics packages and two new Corbin seat options.
“The Zero DS is the most advanced production electric motorcycle in its class and now it’s even better. Enhancements for 2010 make it faster, more durable and better looking," says Gene Banman, CEO Zero Motorcycles. "With significant performance improvements, the Zero DS is designed for off-road adventurers who also ride on the roads. We invite riders of all types to schedule a demo ride in their area and discover a new experience that will leave them grinning."
Central to the performance improvements on the Zero DS is the revolutionary Z-Force™ Air Induction System. The newly developed system allows Zero to produce more horsepower from a light and compact motor by increasing the airflow through the heart of the motor. Zero is also introducing a new throttle technology that modulates the increased power to provide riders with exacting control over the acceleration. The 2010 Zero DS is powered using the latest generation of Z-Force™ power pack technology that includes more precise cell monitoring and lightweight lithium ion technology.
In addition to the increased performance capabilities, consumers now can choose between color graphic packages or Zero’s classic white on all four models. This allows riders to express themselves through personalized styling. The new seat options on the Zero DS are specially designed by Corbin to provide a more comfortable and performance-oriented ride. Those interested in reducing the stand-over height of the motorcycle can now select a Corbin low seat option. The aesthetic changes in combination with Zero’s signature exposed twin spar aircraft grade alloy frame make for a sleeker and more visually appealing motorcycle.
The Zero DS combines innovation with passion to deliver the world’s most versatile electric motorcycle. Created to be agile in the dirt and quick on the street, the Zero DS represents a new kind of freedom. Tough when you demand it and distinguished when required, the Zero DS has an edgy, yet sophisticated appearance highlighted by an eye catching twin spar frame that is both rigid and lightweight. Powered by the most advanced drive train in the industry, the Zero DS is a fully electric motorcycle that can handle any surface you can throw at it. Navigating obstacles and maintaining control is assured using a specially developed suspension system and a rugged wheel set. During technical maneuvers an optimized direct drive gear system delivers astonishing responsiveness with the twist of your wrist.
The Zero DS is priced at $8,995 (after a 10% U.S. federal tax credit). Some states and provinces offer additional incentives. Consumer financing is available in the United States for those who qualify. The motorcycle can be purchased online now and will begin shipping in the United States at the end of April. The Zero DS comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
"The torque is immediate and the DS is up to speed in seconds. The electric dual sport is narrow at the seat and feels even more lightweight than its claimed 277-lb curb weight. Hitting the first 180-degree turn, the bike turns in effortlessly. Bar action is very light as I attack the combination of tight radius turns and straights." – motorcycle-usa
“The overall impression is of a well sorted, semi-exotic chassis housing a powertrain that’s impressive for what it is, but ultimately still limited to relatively low speeds and relatively short distances.” – hellforleathermagazine
All in all, the 2010 Zero DS is a whole different kind of motorcycle, one that doesn’t require shifts, doesn’t “talk back” at you and yet is suitable for all kinds of surfaces while also being street-legal. This qualifies it as a more than interesting thing to ride, but we’re not sure in what measure it will appeal to hardcore enduro riders used to big and thumping single-cylinder engines. We’ll just have to wait and see.
- Type: Brushed permanent magnet electric
- Top Speed: 67 mph (105 kph)
- Type: Patent-pending lithium ion array
- Capacity: 4 kWh (58volts @ 70Ah)
- Range: Up to 50 miles (80 km)*
- Recharge time: Less than 4 hours
- Input: Standard 110V or 220V
- Transmission: Clutchless one speed
- Drive system: 16T / 53T, 420 Chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
- Front suspension travel: 9 inches (228.6 mm)
- Rear suspension travel: 8 inches (203.2 mm)
- Front brakes: 2 Piston hydraulic, stainless Rotor, hand actuated
- Rear brakes: 1 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, foot actuated
- Front tire: 3.25-17
- Rear tire: 110/90-16
- Front wheel: 17 x 2.15
- Rear wheel: 16 x 3.0
- Wheel base: 57.8 inches (146.8 cm)
- Seat height (standard): 35 inches (88.9 cm)
- Low seat height (option): 33 inches (83.8 cm)
- Rake: 24 degrees
- Trail: 3.26 inches (82.8 mm)
- Steering angle: +35 Degrees, -35 Degrees
- Frame: 18 pounds (8.16 kg)
- Power pack: 95 pounds (43.1 kg)
- Curb weight: 277 pounds (125.6 kg)
- GVRW: 575 pounds (260.8 kg)
- Carrying capacity: 297 pounds (134.7 kg)
- Typical cost to recharge: Less than $.01 per mile or kilometer
Features & Benefits
Frame / Bodywork
- Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the lightweight and rigid twin spar frame. One look at the frame and it speaks for itself. It is aggressive, strong and one of the main reasons that the motorcycle can aggressively take on the street or dirt. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero DS is highly maneuverable and responsive. The body is completed using custom injected molded plastics to give it aerodynamics and aggressive supermoto styling.
- Frame and bodywork designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles
- Extremely rigid and lightweight twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Custom injected molded plastics with new color graphics for aggressive styling and aerodynamics
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
Power Pack / Electronics
- Years of development and proprietary Z-Force™ technology make the Zero DS a leader in acceleration, range and longevity. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The onboard charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power pack’s recharge time. Using isolated power systems the Zero DS uses a standard 12 volt current to run the dash, lighting and other on board accessories.
- Proprietary Z-Force™ power pack for increased acceleration and range
- Redundant safety features to accommodate extreme conditions
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed charge profile
- Keyed ignition tied to a solenoid switch for a safe and instant power up
Motor / Z-Force Air Induction
- A compact and powerful motor drives the Zero DS. The new Z-Force Air Induction system allows the Zero DS to output more power from the motor by efficiently moving air through its core. Mounted low on the frame to increase maneuverability, the highly efficient motor lowers the center of gravity while providing high torque and acceleration.
- Z-Force Air Induction system allows for increased motor performance
- Powerful, low weight and compact motor
- Highly efficient and low maintenance permanent magnet motor design
Wheels and Brakes
- The Zero DS wheels are engineered to minimize unsprung weight and reduce rotating mass. Designed specifically for the Zero DS, the lightweight construction includes custom hubs, spokes, and rotors. To maximize overall wheel strength the hub is configured to use straight pull spokes. The resulting wheel is lighter, stronger and more responsive.
- Specially developed high performance wheel set
- Aggressive profile dual sport tires
- Custom designed hubs for reduced weight and maximum wheel strength
- High strength/lightweight straight pull spokes
- Full float calipers
- Custom foot actuated rear and hand actuated front brake
- The suspension on the Zero DS was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycles’ lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. The suspension is carefully tuned to absorb bumps both on and off-road.
- Rigid 9 inch(228.6 mm) inverted front fork to reduce unsprung weight
- Fully adjustable rebound and compression damping on the front
- Custom rear shock with adjustable spring preload and damping
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
Dash / Lights
- The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide information on speed, charge and motor temperature. In the evening the dash lights up with the flip of a switch and is accompanied by a high intensity headlight.
- Digital and analog speed display
- Motor temperature sensor
- A clutchless one speed, the Zero DS is geared for rapid acceleration and increased efficiency. Using a direct chain drive and hardened alloy sprockets the Zero DS is able to achieve minimal frictional loss. This increases the overall range and channels power into speed. The result is a motorcycle that is quick and responsive on any surface.
- Clutchless one speed
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Minimal maintenance