Time has come for green dirt bike riding and, why not, racing with the 2010 Zero MX, the world’s first electric motocross ride. Zero Motorcycles also plan on maintaining it on its “most advanced electric dirt bike” position, so for this year they’ve upgraded virtually everything they could: powertrain, suspension, looks.
Furthermore, two versions are available, the Zero MX Sport and the Zero MX Extreme. With more power and stiffer suspension, this last version is the closest thing to a racing electric dirt bike that money can buy. It rewards you with 50 ft-lbs, 23 horsepower and only weighs 172 pounds, so it’s more or less like a mountain bike on steroids.
Zero Motorcycles, the global leader in the electric motorcycle industry, announced today the arrival of its all-electric 2010 Zero MX. Designed for aggressive off road track riding, the 2010 Zero MX comes in both a Sport and Extreme configuration to offer riders two tiers of performance. Equipped with improved suspension and a more advanced powertrain, the 2010 Zero MX continues to evolve into a quicker and more competitive dirt bike. To highlight the changes in performance and create a new look for the motorcycle Zero is adding color graphics kits to the Zero MX.
“The Zero MX is the world’s most advanced electric dirt bike. Our enhancements for 2010 are designed to add durability, better handling and greater visual appeal," says Gene Banman, CEO Zero Motorcycles. "With instant acceleration and silent power, the Zero MX can be ridden in areas that other motorcycles cannot. We invite riders of all types to schedule a demo ride in their area and discover a new experience that will leave them grinning."
The standard MX model is the Zero MX Sport, with an optional Extreme package that includes a higher performance motor and stiffer suspension. In addition to the increased performance capabilities, consumers will have the chance to choose between various color graphic packages, allowing riders to express themselves through personalized styling.
The Zero MX takes Zero’s revolutionary electric motorcycle technology to the track. Designed for bigger jumps and smooth landings, the Zero MX uses a newly-developed suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain. Incredibly tough and lightweight, the Zero MX combines the state-of-the-art Z-Force™ battery technology with an ultra-light frame design, making it agile and fast where it counts most. The custom suspension system makes the Zero MX highly responsive while maintaining an industry leading power-to-weight ratio, allowing for controlled landings and total control. An individual power pack provides up to two hours of track riding time. Easily swappable, riders can purchase an additional power pack to extend their riding. Incredibly powerful, while almost completely silent, the Zero MX opens up a whole new world of riding possibilities.
The Zero MX starts at $8,295 for the MX Sport and $9,950 for the MX Extreme. Some countries or states may offer incentives. Consumer financing is available in the United States for those who qualify. The motorcycle can be purchased online now and will begin shipping in the United States at the end of March. The Zero MX comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
"The MX definitely delivers more torque, a fact I found when I first cracked the throttle and the front wheel lofted off the straightaway. And that was on the low power setting. It also differs from Zero’s street bikes in its braking arrangement, as both front and rear on the MX bike are hand-actuated." – motorcycle-usa
"On the track, the Zero MX has a good initial pull out of turns, then it just seems to go flat with a slow steady pull up to the top speed. The power doesn’t hit hard enough to clear the jumps out of the corners and, even with the upgraded suspension, I still didn’t want to get too crazy over the jumps." – ultimatemotorcycling
There really isn’t much to reproach Zero Motorcycles about their improved 2010 MX model simply because they’ve shown to have thought at everything and there isn’t another electric dirt bike to compare it with right now. Sure, KTM are on the right path with their Freeride models, but we won’t be seeing those in action until 2011 and to be quite honest, they don’t promise as much.
- Type: Brushed permanent magnet electric
- Torque: 50 ft-lbs (67.7 Nm)
- Peak horsepower: 23 horsepower
- Peak electrical input: 17,400 watts
- Type: Patent-pending lithium ion array
- Capacity: 2 kWh (58volts @ 35Ah)
- Range: Up to 2 hours or 40 miles (64 km)*
- Recharge time: Less than 2 hours
- Input: Standard 110V or 220V
- Transmission: Clutchless one speed
- Drive system: 12T / 73T, 420 Chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
- Front suspension travel: 8 inches (203.2 mm)
- Rear suspension travel: 8.5 inches (215.9 mm)
- Front brakes: 4 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
- Rear brakes: 4 piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
- Front tire: 19 x 3.0 inches
- Rear tire: 17 x 3.5 inches
- Wheel base: 54.5 inches (138.4 cm)
- Seat height: 34.3 inches (87.1 cm)
- Rake: 24 degrees
- Frame: 13 pounds (5.9 kg)
- Total weight without Power Pack: 126 pounds (57.2 kg)
- Power pack: 46 pounds (20.9 kg)
- Curb weight: 172 pounds (78.0 kg)
- Typical cost to recharge: Less than $.01 per mile or kilometer
Features & Benefits
Frame – Sculpted Aircraft Grade Aluminum Means Lighter, Stronger, and Faster
- At the core of the Zero MX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that we’ve engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized.
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength & reduced weight
- Massive swingarm for increased strength & torsional rigidity (better cornering and tracking)
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness & suspension response
- Thru-axle rear hub for exponentially increased strength & rigidity
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Organic frame gusseting for increased strength & smoother body lines
- Bodywork is highlighted with new color graphics
Motor and Energy– High Torque and Acceleration
- Fueled by Zero Motorcycles’ proprietary lithium ion power pack, the Zero MX delivers more torque than any other motorcycle in its class. This is made possible by our power pack’s ability efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you punch the throttle. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power pack’s recharge time.
- Think of it this way, fuel systems are to gas motorcycles what electrical systems are to electrical motorcycles. Where others use a small carburetor and fuel pump, we use a highly tuned fuel injection system. We’ve found a way of rapidly flowing more energy out of our power pack than any of our competitors. This means more acceleration and more fun.
Drivetrain – Larger Chain and Sprockets for Increased Durability & Longer Life
- To accommodate the Zero MX’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt we use a hardened steel 420 chain and direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and more durable drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
- Hardened steel 420 Chain
- Front & rear accompanying 420 Sprockets
- Larger rear sprocket mounting/bolt pattern for increased durability and better management of high torque acceleration
Handling – Faster Turns and Bigger Berms
- We want you to be able to take full advantage of the rapid acceleration the Zero MX has to offer. To do this we’ve taken our riders’ handling wish list and built in the features. The result, this electric dirt bike gives you the control you need to for the acceleration you want.
- Direct mount (to fork crown) double clam stem for increased rigidity and control
- Increased rise and reduced reach stem for better control & stability
- Wider, taller, and stronger full sized dirt bike handlebar
- Higher strength hardened race headset for longer life & smoother turning
Brakes – Stopping on a Dime in the Dirt
- Because you’ll be going faster and harder on our electric dirt bike we’ve added a few things to help slow you down. The 2010 Zero MX electric motorcycle features beefier brakes all around.
- 4 piston calipers front and rear
- 9” (224 mm) rotor in front and rear
- Increased reservoir size for more responsive braking under high strain
Instrument Panel & System Upgrades – Quick Look & Easy Access
- A quick look tells you everything you need to know on the Zero MX. We’ve taken all the important dials and switches and securely located them in a new instrument panel. Accompanying this, is a newer wiring system for increased safety and electrical system longevity. With a bike this desirable, you’ll also be excited to know that this motorcycle comes with a keyed ignition.
- Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ clustered instrumentation
- “Armed” light for increased awareness & safety
- Key switch with solenoid for added safety, peace of mind, security and ease of use
- Flush mounted rockers switches for speed settings (easy/sport and 30/50mph)
- Integrated battery power connector for ease of use and durability
- Integrated battery fuse for added safety in handling and adverse circumstances
Wheels and Tires – Hook Up on Technical Tracks
- The Zero MX custom alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not comprising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into the dirt through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front.
- Tall knobbed and grippy full size rear tire - 17X3.5
- Large lugged high strength rear rim 17 x 2.5”
- Thicker 32h 12g spokes
- Custom oversized & reinforced hub
- 1.6x19 front wheel
- Aggressive front tire 19x3.0
Suspension - Designed for the Track
- The Zero MX uses our newly developed suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain and accommodate larger riders. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is one of the beefiest, lightest and most responsive in the industry. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, our rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a newly developed custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Zero designed lightweight front end
- Inverted front fork to reduce unsprung weight (48 mm fork leg)
- Fully adjustable rebound and compression damping on the front
- Custom rear shock with adjustable spring preload and damping
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
Extreme Package – Adding more power to already high performance
- We offer an ‘extreme package’ for those wanting to ride even harder and faster. The upgrades include a stronger motor and a stronger/smoother front fork.
Higher Power Motor – More Acceleration & Speed
- This is your motor if you’re looking to leverage all the latest Zero MX features and push your motorcycle (or yourself) to the limit. It offers more torque and increased acceleration.
- Efficient German built high torque/ high power perm motor
- 10% more power than the stock motor for greater acceleration
- Greater acceleration
- Lighter weight and more compact
- Higher efficiency
Stronger & Smoother Fork – Internals are Custom Made Specifically for the Zero MX
- For more aggressive riders we’re offering a new stronger and smoother front fork that’s fully adjustable. Using an inverted design this specially developed fork takes the pounding of the track and hides it away in custom designed springs, valves, and damping.
- Additional inch of travel on the front
- Inverted design for rigidity & increased responsiveness
- Designed for more aggressive riding
- Custom valved & sprung