- Brushed permanent magnet electric
- Clutchless one speed
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 23 hp
- Torque @ RPM:
- 50 ft-lbs
Take a look at the world’s cleanest dirt bike! How does that sound anyway? But it’s true; the thing is called the Zero X and it is the only trail bike in the 2010 Zero Motorcycles product lineup . Derived from the 2010 Zero MX , the X gets 23 electric horses and 50 ft-lbs of torque, which is more than ok considering the 161 pounds curb weight.
Like its motocross sibling, the Zero X comes in two versions, the X Sport and X Extreme, the difference between the two being made by engine grunt and different suspension. Hit the jump for more details.
Zero Motorcycles, the global leader in the electric motorcycle industry, announced the arrival of its all-electric 2010 Zero X dirt bikes, the Zero X Sport and Zero X Extreme. Built from the ground up for aggressive riding on technical terrain, these off road electric motorcycles are equipped with a powerful drivetrain and suspension upgrades to increase maneuverability. Also new for 2010 are color graphics options allowing for personalized styling, resulting in a customized and more visually appealing dirt bike.
“The Zero X is excellent for riding on urban trails, and with the upgraded elements of the powertrain and suspension, now it’s even more fun," says Gene Banman, CEO, Zero Motorcycles. "With silent acceleration, low weight and enhanced suspension, the 2010 Zero X is the perfect motorcycle for aggressive trail riding. We invite riders of all types to schedule a demo ride in their area and discover a new experience that will leave them grinning.”
With instant acceleration and a total weight of 151 pounds, the Zero X is a high performance electric motorcycle that takes technical trail riding to the next level. Using Zero’s patented Z-Force™ technology and boasting 50 ft-lbs of torque, this stealthy motorcycle will send you racing up hills, flying over jumps, and cutting through streams. The Zero X is built from the ground up for quick handling and maneuverability. Custom valved suspension, direct drive gearing and weight optimized components allow riders to master demanding terrain. Lightweight, silent and quick, the Zero X opens up trail riding possibilities that would otherwise be out of the question. To extend ride times customers have the option to purchase an extra power pack that can be swapped with a quick pit stop.
The Zero X starts at $7,495 for the X Sport and $9,295 for the X Extreme. Some countries or states may offer incentives. Consumer financing is available in the United States for those who qualify. The motorcycle can be purchased online now and will begin shipping in the United States at the end of March. The Zero X comes with a2-year limited warranty.
"With 23 horsepower and an astounding 50 lb-ft of torque, the electric motorcycle from Zero Motors proved very adept at lifting the front wheel right from a standing start, even without the benefit of a clutch to feather. Fortunately, it’s also easy to keep both contact patches firmly on terra firma, especially when the bike is in its low-power mode." – green.autoblog
“At first, when I opened the throttle a little bit, it just exploded. But it’s completely linear. And I thought I needed more brakes, but it’s so light that I can brake much deeper into the corners.” –motorcycle
“Treating the X like a motocross bike, the suspension is bottoming out coming down the backside of the tabletop and through the high turns. I forget how much power is available and go into a corner hot” – hellforleathermagazine
"The X is designed for single-track trails, not 100 ft descents with giant ruts. And while I could complain about lack of confidence because the bike’s dynamics are so foreign, there’s this one nagging advantage - I can hear everything." – jalopnik
We’ve often heard trail riding bikers using machines powered by internal combustion engines to go as deep into nature as they could go saying their “toxic machines” were the only pieces interfering between them and the beauty around…but they still needed a way to get there. With the 2010 Zero X, the green American motorcycle company offers riders THE alternative in the form of the world’s first electric enduro motorcycle. Enjoy it!
- Type: Brushed permanent magnet electric
- Torque: 50 ft-lbs (67.7 Nm)
- Peak horsepower: 23 horsepower
- Peak electrical input: 17,400 watts
- Type: Patent-pending lithium ion array
- Capacity: 2 kWh (58volts @ 35Ah)
- Range: Up to 2 hours or 40 miles (64 km)
- Recharge time: Less than 2 hours
- Input: Standard 110V or 220V
- Transmission: Clutchless one speed
- Drive system: 12T / 73T, 420 Chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
- Front suspension travel: 7.9 inches (200.7 mm)
- Rear suspension travel: 8.5 inches (215.9 mm)
- Front brakes: 4 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
- Rear brakes: 4 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
- Front tire: 24 x 3.0 inches
- Rear tire: 17 x 3.5 inches
- Wheel base: 54 inches (137.2 cm)
- Seat height: 34.8 inches (88.3 cm)
- Rake: 23 degrees
- Frame: 13 pounds (5.9 kg)
- Total weight without Power Pack: 115 pounds (52.2 kg)
- Power pack: 46 pounds (20.9 kg)
- Curb weight: 161 pounds (73.0 kg)
- Typical cost to recharge: Less than $.01 per mile or kilometer
Features & Benefits
Frame – Sculpted Aircraft Grade Aluminum Means Lighter, Stronger, and Faster
- At the core of the Zero X lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that we’ve engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized.
- In engineering it’s about the little things. This is your frame if you’re looking to take on technical trails.
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength & reduced weight
- Massive swingarm for increased strength & torsional rigidity (better cornering and tracking)
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness & suspension response
- Thru-axle rear hub for exponentially increased strength & rigidity
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Organic frame gusseting for increased strength & smoother body lines
- Bodywork is highlighted with new color graphics
Motor and Energy– High Torque and Acceleration
- Fueled by Zero Motorcycles’ latest proprietary lithium ion power pack, the Zero X delivers more torque than any other motorcycle in its class. This is made possible by our power pack’s ability efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you twist the throttle. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power pack’s recharge time.
- Think of it this way, fuel systems are to gas motorcycles what electrical systems are to electrical motorcycles. Where others use a small carburetor and fuel pump, we use a highly tuned fuel injection system. We’ve found a way of rapidly flowing more energy out of our power pack than any of our competitors. This means more acceleration and more fun.
Drivetrain – Larger Chain and Sprockets for Increased Durability & Longer Life
- To accommodate the Zero X’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt we use a hardened steel 420 chain and direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and more durable drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
- Hardened steel 420 Chain
- Front & rear accompanying 420 Sprockets
- Larger rear sprocket mounting/bolt pattern for increased durability and better management of high torque acceleration
Handling – Faster Turns and Bigger Berms
- We want you to be able to take full advantage of the rapid acceleration the Zero X has to offer. To do this we’ve taken our riders’ handling wish list and built in the features. The result, this electric dirt bike gives you the control you need to for the acceleration you want.
- Direct mount (to fork crown) double clam stem for increased rigidity and control
- Increased rise and reduced reach stem for better control & stability
- Wider, taller, and stronger full sized dirt bike handlebar
- Higher strength hardened race headset for longer life & smoother turning
Brakes – Stopping on a Dime in the Dirt
- Because you’ll be going faster and harder on our electric dirt bike we’ve added a few things to help slow you down. The 2010 Zero X electric motorcycle features beefier brakes all around.
- 4 piston calipers front and rear
- 9”(224 mm) rotors in the front and rear
- Increased reservoir size for more responsive braking under high strain
Instrument Panel & System Upgrades – Quick Look & Easy Access
- A quick look tells you everything you need to know on the Zero X. We’ve taken all the important dials and switches and securely located them in a new instrument panel. Accompanying this, is a newer wiring system for increased safety and electrical system longevity. With a bike this desirable, you’ll also be excited to know that this motorcycle comes with a keyed ignition.
- Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ clustered instrumentation
- “Armed” light for increased awareness & safety
- Key switch with solenoid for added safety, peace of mind, security and ease of use
- Flush mounted rockers switches for speed settings (easy/sport and 30/50mph)
- Integrated battery power connector for ease of use and durability
- Integrated battery fuse for added safety in handling and adverse circumstances
Rear Wheel & Tire – Hook Up on Technical Trails
- The Zero X comes with a beefy tire and wheel on the rear for increased traction and durability. This means quicker acceleration, faster hill climbs, and more fun.
- Tall knobbed and grippy full size rear tire - 17X3.5
- Large lugged high strength rear rim 17 x 2.5”
- Thicker 12g spokes
- Custom oversized & reinforced hub
Extreme Package – Adding more power to already high performance
- The ‘extreme package’ is for those wanting to ride even harder and faster. Upgrades include a more powerful motor and a stronger/smoother front fork.
Higher Power Motor – More Acceleration & Speed
- This is your motor if you’re looking to leverage all the latest Zero X upgrades and push your motorcycle (or yourself) to the limit. It offers higher torque and increased acceleration.
- German built high torque/ high power perm motor
- 10% more power than the stock motor for greater acceleration
- Greater acceleration
- Lighter weight and more compact
- Higher efficiency
Stronger & Smoother Fork
Internals are Custom Made Specifically for the Zero X
- For more aggressive riders this package includes a new stronger and smoother front fork that’s fully adjustable. Using an inverted design this White Brothers fork takes the pounding of the trail and hides it away in custom designed springs, valves, and dampening.
- Inverted design for rigidity & increased responsiveness
- Custom valved & sprung for the 2010 Zero X with manufacturers’ engineering team