- Clutchless one speed
- Top Speed:
- 53 mph
On its own, the Zero MX is already one of the most fascinating bikes you’ll come across. But thanks to a number of additional features, the MX has become quite a catch in its own right. One of the extra features provided is the new Z-Force air induction system power pack that is rated for a maximum 2.0 kWH from the lithium-ion battery. These Z-Force batteries carry a quick-charge option that can cut the recharge time up to half.
In addition, the bike’s overall design exudes a picture of refinement, none more evident than in the front end, which has been equipped with a speed sensor that is available on the motor shaft. The graphics layout on the bike also gives the MX a renewed freshness, particularly the combination of the red and white color scheme. If there’s one thing that’s going to need some getting used to, it’s the bike’s riding position and rigid seat. It’s not inconvenient by any stretch; it just needs a little breaking in.
Add in a new set of Birdgestone motocross tires, a dual-piston hydraulic front caliper with 220mm wave-style disc, and a state-of-the-art suspension system that features a remote reservoir feeding the rear shock via a steel-braided line, and you have a motocross bike that’s unique by its own merits.
Find out more about the Zero MX after the jump.
Responsive. Planted in the corners. Tuned for flight. Twist the throttle and start carving the track. Silent and powerful, the Zero MX opens a visceral new world of moto possibility.
The Zero MX takes revolutionary electric motorcycle technology to the track, trail or even your back yard. Incredibly tough and lightweight, the Zero MX uses a finely tuned and fully adjustable suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain and give you an edge. Combined with state of the art Z-Force technology and an ultra-light frame design, the Zero MX is agile and fast where it counts.
Speaking of fast, the Zero MX will spin heads as well as laps around the competition. Based on the 2011 World Electric Indoor Motocross championship winning machine, the new Zero MX has taken huge leaps forward in terms of power and response. Finely massaged by the Zero engineering team, the new MX demands attention. Track tuned suspension and an industry leading power-to-weight ratio results in a dirt bike with uninhibited responsiveness. Alloy motocross wheels take the hits while smoothly maintaining control. Intensity combines with silence to open up a new world of riding possibilities. Think about it: if no one heard you riding, where would you ride?
What’s New For 2012
The new 2012 Zero MX is more fun to ride than ever before. It shares many of the same improvements as the Zero X, but is stripped down to be lighter, faster off the line and have more traction in the dirt. Designed exclusively for off-road and motocross track usage, the 2012 Zero MX provides 75% more range, leverages Zero Motorcycles’ revolutionary new Z-Force battery technology and is more powerful than ever before. In addition to improved performance, owners will be pleased to know that the Zero MX’s Z-Force power pack now lasts the life of the motorcycle with the ability to ride upwards of 3,000 track hours while still retaining 80% capacity. To give the Zero MX a bold new look, it now has more contemporary bodywork and stylish graphics.
Game Changing Z-Force Technology: 75% More Range / 3,000 Track Hours on a Power Pack
The stand-alone charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge accessories to cut charge times by 50%.
Enhanced power pack features include:
- 75% more range over 2011
- Now capable of going for up to 90 minutes on the track or 120 minutes on the trail
- Cells last 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 3,000 hours of track riding on the original power pack
- State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry
- 68% higher energy density power pack that yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant new low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- New battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring and a 92% reduction in power consumption
- New, higher voltage power system that allows the motor to run cooler and with -*more RPMs than ever before
- Quick-charge option available to cut recharge time by 50%
- Power pack can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere
- Power pack can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero X
- Full aluminum anodized exterior casing
- Highly durable and impact load resistant
- Superior internal packaging
- External programming and recall capabilities via diagnostics port
Motor: High Torque and Acceleration
Fueled by a Z-Force lithium ion power pack and a performance motor, the Zero MX delivers incredible torque from zero RPM. This is made possible by the powertrain’s ability to efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you twist the throttle.
- 33% more overall power with a top speed of 54mph
- Increased torque and broader power band for much stronger acceleration
- Sustains higher power output for longer durations
- Integrated Z-Force Air Induction System:
- Allows for increased motor performance during aggressive riding
- Enables more energy output for longer durations
- Powerful, low weight and compact motor
- Performance settings for more and less aggressive riding (Level I and II)
Frame and Body: New Bodywork and Light Aircraft Grade Aluminum
At the core of the Zero MX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized. For 2012 the Zero MX has a bold new look that includes new front fairings, rear number plates and graphics.
- Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
- Completely new front fairings and rear number plates
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
- Massive swingarm for increased strength and torsional rigidity (better cornering and tracking)
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Organic frame gusseting for increased strength and smoother body lines
- Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
Suspension and Handling: Smooth Control
The Zero MX uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain on the track. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system:
- Specially tuned for the track and trail
- Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
- Refined contact points:
- Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
- Standardized footpeg clevis for greater aftermarket options
- Handlebars with adjustable risers
- Ergonomic riding position for better control
- More comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Brakes: Robust Stopping Power
Because you’ll be going faster through the turns and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero MX features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
- Powerful and high performance braking system
- Precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
- Increased fade resistance
- Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
- Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
Wheels and Tires: Hook Up in the Turns
The Zero MX alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not compromising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into the dirt through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front. For 2012 the wheels are stouter, more durable and more robust than ever before.
- Standard sizes with commonality for greater aftermarket tire options
- Aggressive motocross tires (front and rear)
Gearing and Chain: Durability and New Aftermarket Options
To accommodate the Zero MX’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt Zero uses a hardened steel 420 chain along with durable direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and longer lasting drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
- Hardened steel 420 Chain
- Front and rear accompanying 420 sprockets
- Optimized to be light, stiff, strong and durable
- Standard-size mount pattern for greater aftermarket options
Dash: Quick Look and Easy Access
A quick look tells you everything you need to know when reading the Zero MX’s simple and durable instrument panel. Connecting the dash to the heart of the motorcycle is a robust wiring system that is designed to increase electrical system longevity. With a motorcycle this desirable, you’ll also be reassured to know that it comes with an integrated keyed ignition switch and steering lock.
- New sleek, small and refined “dash” that was designed specifically for the Zero MX
- Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ instrumentation
- “Armed” light for increased awareness and safety
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock that offers improved security and peace of mind
- Exceptionally accurate state of charge indicator
|MX Track||45-90 minutes|
|Motor Type||High efficiency, Forced air cooled, axial flux permanent magnet, brushed motor|
|Controller||High efficiency, 400 amp, programmable brushed DC controller|
|Top speed||54 mph (86 km/h)|
|Engine Type||Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack|
|Maximum capacity||3.0 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||2.6 kWh|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (MX track)||3,000 hours|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (trail)||4,000 hours|
|Charger type||1kW, standalone|
|Charge time (standard)||3.1 hours (100% charged) / 2.7 hours (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||2.0 hours (100% charged) / 1.3 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless one speed|
|Final drive||71T / 13T, 420 chain|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Direct-link shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||9.44 inches (240 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||8.71 inches (221 mm)|
|Front brakes||2 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Rear brakes||1 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Wheel base||55.5 inches (1410 mm)|
|Seat height (standard)||34.3 inches (870 mm)|
|Low seat height (accessory)||32.3 inches (819 mm)|
|Trail||3.5 inches (89 mm)|
|Frame||14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)|
|Curb weight||200 pounds (91 kg)|
|GVWR||450 pounds (204 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||250 pounds (113 kg)|
|Typical cost to charge||$0.32|
Motorcycle-usa ---- "Off-road riders aren’t left out either as the Zero X and MX models have also been beefed up"
Totalmotorcycle ---- "Responsive. Planted in the corners. Tuned for flight. Twist the throttle and start carving the track. Silent and powerful, the Zero MX opens a visceral new world of moto possibility."