It is light, efficient, agile and pretty powerful as well. Moreover it also has a pretty rugged character, since it was designed as an electric dirt bike. Judging by these specs the new Zero X certainly sounds like a lot of fun. Not to mention about its capacity to hit maximum torque from the instant you start the motor.
Talking about the motor, the new Zero X is equipped with the same power train as the Zero MX. Unlike its sibling, the Zero X is also capable de deal decently with public roads and regular city streets, so is much practical. The company says that thanks to the direct drive gearing and weight-optimized components the motorcycle is able to aggressively race up hills, fly over jumps and cut through streams.
The electric motor is powered by a Z-Force lithium ion power pack which is mounted on the aircraft grade aluminum Zero X frame. Zero says that the battery cells will last for 3,000 charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Zero X.
Where would you go with an exceptionally lightweight, highly maneuverable and powerful dirt bike? One capable of riding legally on-road as well? Now … what if it didn’t make a sound and only cost pennies to operate?
The all-new Zero X now features the same championship winning powertrain as the Zero MX and, combined with its ability to ride on the street, it opens up previously unthinkable trail riding possibilities. With instant torque from a standstill, no shifting, a low seat height and very light weight, the Zero X is a high performance electric motorcycle that pushes technical trail riding to ambitious new levels. Direct drive gearing and weight-optimized components combine to form a stealthy machine that aggressively races up hills, flies over jumps and cuts through streams.
A revolutionary, life of motorcycle Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and highly efficient motor are optimized to produce instant acceleration at the twist of your wrist. To extend ride times, the aircraft grade aluminum Zero X frame is designed to accommodate quick power pack swaps.
What’s New For 2012
The 2012 Zero X provides 75% more range, leverages Zero Motorcycles’ revolutionary new Z-Force battery technology and is more powerful than ever before. Now featuring the same high output motor as the Zero MX, the Zero X is capable of rapid acceleration to 56 mph on both dirt and pavement. Its impressive performance and fully street legal running gear make the Zero X into Zero’s “do anything” electric dirt bike. In addition to its higher performance, the Zero X now has a more contemporary appearance with new bodywork and stylish graphics.
The Zero X is now exclusively available in a street legal configuration. Ready to ride on anything from trails and tracks to city streets, the Zero X features lights, a sidestand, mirrors, street legal tires and higher gearing that allow riders to sustain greater top speeds. In addition to riding longer distances on a charge, owners will be pleased to know that the Zero X’s Z-Force™ power pack now lasts the life of the motorcycle with the ability to travel upwards of 103,000 miles while still retaining 80% capacity.
Game Changing Z-Force™ Technology: 75% More Range / 100,000+ Mi on a Power Pack
The 2012 Zero X leverages a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the Zero X now have 38 miles range, the power pack is designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The stand-alone charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge accessories to cut charge times by 50%.
Enhanced power pack features include:
- 75% more range over 2011
- Now capable of going 38 miles according to the EPA UDDS
- Cells last 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as -much as 103,000 miles on the original power pack
- State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry
- 68% higher energy density power pack that yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant new low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- New battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring and a 92% reduction in power consumption
- New, higher voltage power system that allows the motor to run cooler and with more RPMs than ever before
- Quick-charge option available to cut recharge time by 50%
- Power pack can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere
- Power pack can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero MX
- Full aluminum anodized exterior casing
- Highly durable and impact load resistant
- Superior internal packaging
- External programming and recall capabilities via diagnostics port
Motor: High Torque and Acceleration
Fueled by a Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and now featuring the same performance motor as the Zero MX, the Zero X delivers incredible torque from zero RPM. This is made possible by the powertrain’s ability to efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you twist the throttle.
- 33% more overall power with a top speed of 56mph
- Increased torque and broader power band for much stronger acceleration
- Sustains higher power output for longer durations
- New motor integrated Z-Force Air Induction System:
- Allows for increased motor performance during aggressive riding
- Enables more energy output for longer durations
- Powerful, low weight and compact motor
- Performance settings for more and less aggressive riding (Level I and II)
Frame and Body: New Bodywork and Light Aircraft Grade Aluminum
At the core of the Zero X lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized. For 2012 the Zero X has a bold new look that includes new front fairings, rear number plates and graphics.
- Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
- Completely new front fairings and rear number plates
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Organic frame gusseting for increased strength and smoother body lines
- Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
Suspension and Handling: Smooth Control
The Zero X uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain on the trail. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system:
- Specially tuned for the trail and track
- Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
- Refined contact points:
- Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
- Standardized clevis for greater aftermarket options
- Handlebars with adjustable risers
- Ergonomic riding position for better control
- More comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Brakes: Robust Stopping Power
Because you’ll be going faster through the turns and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero X features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
- Powerful and high performance braking system
- Precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
- Increased fade resistance
- Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
- Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
Wheels and tires: Street Legal Traction for the Trail
The Zero X comes with street legal tires and wheels that are designed for trail usage. For 2012 the wheels are stouter, more durable and more robust than ever before.
- Standard sizes with commonality for greater aftermarket tire options
- Aggressive street legal trail tires (front and rear)
Gearing and Chain: Durability and New Aftermarket Options
To accommodate the Zero X’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt Zero uses a hardened steel 420 chain along with durable direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and longer lasting drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
- Hardened steel 420 Chain
- Front and rear accompanying 420 sprockets
- Optimized to be light, stiff, strong and durable
- Standard-size mount pattern for greater aftermarket options
Dash: Quick Look and Easy Access
A quick look tells you everything you need to know when reading the Zero X’s simple and durable instrument panel. The 2012 Zero X comes exclusively in a street legal configuration and the dash now lights up to feature speed, state of charge and status lights.
- Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ clustered instrumentation
- “Armed” light for increased awareness and safety
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock that offers improved security and peace of mind
- Exceptionally accurate state of charge indicator
- Ride time clock
Street Legal: Adding More Freedom and Versatility
- Fully street legal as ordered and ready to register
- -*Fully street legal and internationally homologated light system
- Modular lighting system harness
- Side stand
- Geared for slightly less torque and higher top speeds
- Side view mirrors
|City (EPA UDDS)||38 miles (61 km)|
|Motor Type||High efficiency, Forced air cooled, axial flux permanent magnet, brushed motor|
|Controller||High efficiency, 400 amp, programmable brushed DC controller|
|Top speed||56 mph (90 km/h)|
|Engine Type||Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack|
|Maximum capacity||3.0 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||2.6 kWh|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (city)||103,000 miles (165,000 km)|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (trail)||4000 hours|
|Charger type||1kW, standalone|
|Charge time (standard)||3.1 hours (100% charged) / 2.7 hours (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||2.0 hours (100% charged) / 1.3 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless one speed|
|Final drive||61T / 13T, 420 chain|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Direct-link shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||9.44 inches (240 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||8.71 inches (221 mm)|
|Front brakes||2 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Rear brakes||1 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Wheel base||55.5 inches (1410 mm)|
|Seat height (standard)||34.3 inches (870 mm)|
|Low seat height (accessory)||32.3 inches (819 mm)|
|Trail||3.5 inches (89 mm)|
|Frame||14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)|
|Curb weight||215 pounds (98 kg)|
|GVWR||465 pounds (211 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||250 pounds (113 kg)|
|Typical cost to charge||$0.32|
|Equivalent fuel economy (city)||487 MPGe (0.48 liters/100km)|
Totalmotorcycle ---- "A revolutionary, life of motorcycle Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and highly efficient motor are optimized to produce instant acceleration at the twist of your wrist."
Motorcycle-Usa ---- "The Zero X has been given 75% more range than in 2011 and is now able to go 38 miles. "
Motorcycle About ---- "But I take full responsibility for my spill, and the incident actually hurt me more than it hurt the ZERO X— which only needed its fender pushed back in before it hit the dirt again. I wish I were as durable as this bike."doc447080|center