- Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack
- Clutchless one speed
- Top Speed:
- 65 mph
Developed with efficiency and sportiness in mind, the new Zero XU is one of the most capable electric motorcycles in its class. The motorcycle is lightweight and is packed with a series of innovative technologies which help it offer superior performances.
Thanks to its low seat height, the optional onboard storage and the ergonomic handle bar, the Zero XU is fairly comfortable and practical for both short and long journeys. Moreover, for maximum versatility, the Zero XU offers five different models so it can adjust to your favorite riding style in no time.
Like its predecessor, the 2012 Zero XU is built on a lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame. Though, the new model has received a few tweaks which improved its power and range. The result is a more powerful motorcycle that goes 75% farther on a charge, is 25% faster, utilizes regenerative deceleration and offers an extended lifetime.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Zero XU.
The Zero XU is an innovative, lightweight, electric motorcycle that blends industry leading technology, performance and practicality to deliver the ultimate urban-crosser. A low seat height, no-shift operation, removable power pack and optional onboard storage allow riders of all kinds to negotiate the city with a new kind of freedom.
Ride the way you want. Twist the throttle, relax and leisurely wind your way from one destination to the next. Or…hop curbs, fly around corners and cut through traffic. Designed for utility and pure enjoyment, the Zero XU transforms the city into a motorcycle amusement park. It is ideal for the day-to-day…but built for dynamic individuals who may want to occasionally push the limits.
Built around Zero’s lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame, the Zero XU is styled to be minimalistic, strong, eye-catching and comfortable. With a removable power pack, and the option of a stand-alone charger, riders who live anywhere can now charge anywhere. As with Zero’s entire model line, the 2012 Zero XU costs only cents to recharge and, with its maintenance-free powertrain, it is one of the most economical motorcycles to own and operate.
What’s New For 2012
The entire powertrain of the Zero XU is new for 2012. The result is a more powerful motorcycle that goes 75% farther on a charge, is 25% faster, utilizes regenerative deceleration and offers a dramatically extended lifetime of nearly maintenance free riding. Capable of hitting a top speed of 65 mph, the new Zero XU also has a significantly broader power band that makes urban riding more fun than ever before. Now featuring new state of the art battery cell technology and a brushless motor, the Zero XU lasts over 3,000 full recharge cycles, or over 100,000 miles, while requiring no motor or power pack maintenance. In addition, the rear wheel is now driven by a belt drive that is both maintenance free and offers the same sophisticated silence as the Zero S and Zero DS.
Revised frame geometry, new optimized Zero designed rotors and larger brake reservoirs give the Zero XU better handling than ever before. Visually distinguishing it from last year, the Zero XU’s aircraft grade aluminum frame is now anodized black.
Game Changing Z-Force™ Technology: 75% More Range / 100,000+ Mi on a Power Pack
The Zero XU is the world’s first street motorcycle that enables owners to essentially charge anywhere by way of an on-board charger, removable power pack and optional stand-alone charger. This allows owners to recharge without the requirement of garage or street-level charging at their homes or apartments. The removable pack also facilitates essentially non-stop usage by enabling individuals, or fleets, to quickly swap power packs.
The 2012 Zero XU leverages a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the Zero XU now have 42 miles range, the power pack is designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The integrated onboard charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge accessories to cut charge times by 50%.
Enhanced power pack features include:
- 75% more range over 2011
- Now capable of going 42 miles according to the EPA UDDS
- Cells last 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 113,000 miles on the original power pack
- State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry
- 68% higher energy density power pack that yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant new low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- New battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring and a 92% reduction in power consumption
- New, higher voltage power system that allows the motor to run cooler and with -*more RPMs than ever before
- Quick-charge option available to cut recharge time by 50%
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed charge profile
- Power pack can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere (this requires the purchase of the stand-alone charger in the quick-charge option)
- Power pack can be used interchangeably with the Zero X and Zero MX
- Power pack locking system for increased security and peace of mind
- Full aluminum anodized exterior casing
- Highly durable and impact load resistant
- Superior internal packaging
- External programming and recall capabilities via diagnostics port
Brushless Motor and Regenerative Braking: 65 mph Top Speed
A compact and powerful brushless motor provides riders with exhilarating acceleration to a top speed of 65 mph. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide riders with years of fun minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down the motor works with a new brushless motor controller to recharge the power pack.
- Completely new maintenance-free, clean, forced-air cooled brushless motor
- Increased torque and broader power band for much stronger acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating
- Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
Frame and Bodywork: Lightweight and Stealthy
The Zero XU is built around an incredibly robust dirt bike frame that has been refined for the city. Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the lightweight and rigid frame. The result is a fun motorcycle that is ideal for withstanding the rigors of urban streets.
- Better handling with refined frame geometry for 2012
- Extremely rigid and lightweight black aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Organic frame gusseting for increased strength and smoother body lines
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
Wheels and Brakes: Robust and Responsive
The wheels and tires on the Zero XU are built to last. With rugged construction and tires that steadfastly hold the pavement, riders can feel confident while maneuvering through urban obstacles.
- More durable and robust wheels for 2012
- Standard sizes with commonality for aftermarket tire options
- Straight-pull spokes for long term durability
- Precise and easy to modulate brake system
- Steel braided lines for superior lever feel and more precise brake modulation
- High performance compound brake pads
Suspension and Riding Position: Confidence and Control
The Zero XU has a low seat height and uses a highly tuned suspension system to absorb rough surfaces in the city. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using an adjustable shock.
Carefully tuned and balanced suspension system:
- Specially tuned for urban riding
- Robust triple-clamps
- Optimized fork and shock internals
- Aluminum stanchions for reduced weight and superior control
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload and rebound damping
Comfortable riding position and optional on-board storage:
- Low seat height for improved rider confidence and better handling via a lower center of gravity
- Tall handlebars for increased control and better responsiveness (with adjustable risers to allow for rider customization)
- Optional storage for greater around town utility
- Supportive foot pegs with an aggressive profile
Dash and Controls: Focus on the Ride
Advanced system monitoring and informative dash reporting
- Sport / Eco switch to allow riders to select motorcycle performance
- Exceptionally accurate charge indicator
- Innovative state of charge (SOC) algorithm
- Ergonomic and durable switch gear (for operation of lights, turn signals, etc.)
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- Soft and more comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Gearing: Maintenance Free Belt Drive
With silent operation and no shifting, riders can simply focus on enjoying the ride. Featuring a clutchless direct drive, the Zero XU is geared for city riding and increased efficiency. Using a new maintenance free belt system, the Zero XU is able to achieve minimal frictional losses. This increases its overall range and channels power more efficiently into speed. The result is a motorcycle that is quick and responsive.
- New maintenance free and virtually silent belt drive system
- No shifting with direct drive
- Clutchless one speed that simplifies operation
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
|City (EPA UDDS)||42 miles (68 km)|
|Highway (commuting, 55mph)||28 miles (45 km)|
|Motor Type||High efficiency, axial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor with integrated forced air cooling|
|Controller||High efficiency, 220 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration|
|Top speed (max)||65 mph (105 km/h)|
|Top speed (sustained)||55 mph (88 km/h)|
|Engine Type||Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack|
|Maximum capacity||3.0 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||2.6 kWh|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (city)||113,000 miles (182,000 km)|
|Charger type||1kW, integrated|
|Charge time (standard)||3.1 hours (100% charged) / 2.7 hours (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||2.0 hours (100% charged) / 1.3 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless one speed|
|Final drive||132T / 25T, Poly Chain® GT® Carbon belt|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Direct-link shock with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||5.31 inches (135 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||5.54 inches (141 mm)|
|Front brakes||2 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Rear brakes||1 piston hydraulic, 220x4 mm disc|
|Wheel base||55.0 inches (1397 mm)|
|Seat height (standard)||31.5 inches (800 mm)|
|Low seat height (accessory)||29.5 inches (749 mm)|
|Trail||3.4 inches (86 mm)|
|Frame||14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)|
|Curb weight||221 pounds (100 kg)|
|GVWR||471 pounds (214 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||250 pounds (113 kg)|
|Typical cost to charge||$0.32|
|Equivalent fuel economy (city)||539 MPGe (0.44 liters/100km)|
|Equivalent fuel economy (highway)||359 MPGe (0.66 liters/100km)|
Totalmotorcycle ---- "Built around Zero’s lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame, the Zero XU is styled to be minimalistic, strong, eye-catching and comfortable."
Motorcycle-usa ---- "The Zero XU has been given new life in 2012 with 75% more range than last year. It now is able to travel 42 miles with the battery cells lasting 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles and has been given a new state of the art power pack configuration. "
Pluginamerica ---- "Featuring a light, aircraft grade alloy frame and a removable power pack the Zero XU electric motorcycle is designed to meet the needs of city commuters."Featuring a light, aircraft grade alloy frame and a removable power pack the Zero XU electric motorcycle is designed to meet the needs of city commuters.