- Z-Force™ 75-7 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor
- Clutchless direct drive|Clutchless direct drive
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 40 @ 4300
- Torque @ RPM:
- 68 @ 0
- Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular
- Top Speed:
- 70 mph
Zero has become famous thanks to its electric motorcycles which are considered among the best in the business.
Given the fact that the concern for efficiency and environment is growing bigger and bigger with every year that passes the future of Zero seems to be pretty bright. Also, the electric technologies become more and more advanced and these bikes are starting to be able to compete with success against their petrol powered siblings.
The 2013 Zero MX models are equipped with a new Z-Force motor, which is up to 125% more powerful and offers 51% more torque. With 68 ft-lbs available at 0 rpm and 54 hp on tap the motorcycle rewards you with a sharp acceleration. The electric motor is powered by a modular power pack system which is available in two configurations: ZF2.8 (one module), ZF5.7 (two modules).
The performance characteristics of the Zero MX can be adjusted via Bluetooth and a compatible mobile device.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Zero MX.
NEW FOR 2013
THE FASTEST WAY TO SHAVE TIME OFF YOUR BEST LAP
Now full sized and featuring a new Z-Force™ motor, the 2013 Zero MX is up to 125% more powerful and offers 51% more torque. With 68 ft-lbs and up to 54 hp, the Zero MX accelerates hard, with incredibly smooth throttle control, to allow you to take bigger jumps and corner faster. When rolling off the throttle you can now take advantage of regenerative braking to both modulate speed and extend ride times. Adding an interesting twist to competitive riding, performance characteristics of the Zero MX are adjustable via Bluetooth and a compatible mobile device. To improve handling, the Zero MX has a larger rear shock with a lower compression ratio as well as a wider front fork to improve torsional rigidity.
The Zero MX features the world’s first truly modular power pack system and is available in two configurations: ZF2.8 (one module), ZF5.7 (two modules). The lockable modules can be individually added or removed, regardless of state of charge, in less than a minute. Charge times can be cut in half using an optional quick charge system, or down to as little as an hour to reach 95% with the CHAdeMO accessory (CHAdeMO charging requires a supporting charge station). The sealed Z-Force™ motor virtually eliminates all routine powertrain maintenance and drives the rear wheel by way of a beefier 520 chain. Owning a Zero has never been easier.
READY FOR TAKE OFF
Responsive. Planted in the corners. Tuned for flight. Twist the throttle and start carving the track. Silent and powerful, the Zero MX opens a visceral new world of moto possibility.
The Zero MX takes revolutionary electric motorcycle technology to the track, trail or even your back yard. Incredibly tough and lightweight, the Zero MX uses a finely tuned and fully adjustable suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain and give you an edge. Combined with state of the art Z-Force™ technology and an ultra-light frame design, the Zero MX is agile and fast where it counts.
Speaking of fast, the Zero MX will spin heads as well as laps around the competition. The new Zero MX has taken huge leaps forward in terms of power and response. Finely massaged by the Zero engineering team, it demands attention. Track tuned suspension and an industry leading power-to-weight ratio results in a dirt bike with uninhibited responsiveness. Alloy motocross wheels take the hits while smoothly maintaining control. Intensity combines with silence to open up a new world of riding possibilities. Think about it: if no one heard you riding, where would you ride?
GAME CHANGING Z-FORCE™ POWER PACK
THE WORLD’S FIRST TRULY MODULAR SYSTEM
The Zero MX features the world’s first truly modular power pack system. With slots for two power packs, you can operate the Zero MX with either one or both slots filled. The modules charge using a standalone charger to reduce weight.
The Zero MX can be purchased with either one module (ZF2.8) or two modules (ZF5.7). Compatible with the Zero FX and Zero XU, the modules can be swapped between any one of the three motorcycles.
Enhanced power pack features include:
- World’s first fully modular Z-Force™ quick-swap technology allows you to easily upgrade from 2.8 kWh (max) to 5.7kWh (max) in seconds
- State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry
- Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity
- Modules can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere
- Modules can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero FX
- Module locking system for increased security and peace of mind
- Quick-charge and CHAdeMO compatible
REVOLUTIONARY Z-FORCE™ MOTOR
68 FT-LBS, UP TO 54 HP… AND INCREDIBLY EFFICIENT
Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force™ motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. It provides you with instant acceleration to a top speed of 85 mph. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- Produces 54 hp and 68 ft-lbs of torque
- Requires no routine maintenance
- Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- Increased torque and broad power band for much stronger acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating
- Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- Eco mode re-gen levels can be customized using the Zero Motorcycles App
PLUG IN AT ANY STANDARD OUTLET
The Zero MX uses a standalone charger that can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging and the system allows you to conveniently charge the modules either on or off the motorcycle. The Zero MX is compatible with both CHAdeMO and quick-charge systems.
FRAME AND BODYWORK
LIGHT AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM
At the core of the Zero MX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized.
- Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
- Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
- Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
- Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
SUSPENSION AND HANDLING
The Zero MX uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain on the track. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system:
- Specially tuned for the track and trail
- Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
- Refined contact points:
- Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
- Standardized footpeg clevis for greater aftermarket options
- Handlebars with adjustable risers
- Ergonomic riding position for better control
- Comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
ROBUST STOPPING POWER WITH NISSIN
Because you’ll be going faster through the turns and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero MX features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
- Nissin brakes are precise, easy to modulate and require little effort
- Powerful and high performance braking system
- Increased fade resistance
- Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
- Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
WHEELS AND TIRES
HOOK UP IN THE TURNS
The Zero MX alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not compromising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into the dirt through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front.
- 21” front and 18” rear tires for improved off-road handling and more tire options
- Aggressive motocross tires (front and rear)
GEARING AND CHAIN
DURABILITY AND NEW AFTERMARKET OPTIONS
To accommodate the Zero MX’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt Zero uses a hardened steel 520 chain along with durable direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and longer lasting drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
- Hardened steel 520 Chain
- Optimized to be light, stiff, strong and durable
- Standard-size mount pattern for greater aftermarket options
QUICK LOOK AND EASY ACCESS
A quick look tells you everything you need to know when reading the Zero MX’s simple and durable instrument panel. Connecting the dash to the heart of the motorcycle is a robust wiring system that is designed to increase electrical system longevity. With a motorcycle this desirable, you’ll also be reassured to know that it comes with an integrated keyed ignition switch and steering lock.
- Sleek, small and refined “dash” that was designed specifically for the Zero MX
- Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ instrumentation
- “Armed” light for increased awareness and safety
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock that offers improved security and peace of mind
- Exceptionally accurate state of charge indicator
ZERO MOTORCYCLES APP
GET YOUR MOTORCYCLE DIALED
Using the new Zero Motorcycles app you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked the app allows you to set custom parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices.
- Bluetooth enabled connectivity for both iPhone and Android mobile devices
- Adjustable motorcycle performance to enable sportier or more economical riding (customized setting is available through the ‘eco’ mode setting on the Zero MX)
- Customizable display reports precise state of charge and real-time power usage while riding
|2013 ZERO MX||ZERO MX ZF2.8||ZERO MX ZF5.7|
|MX track||20-60 minutes||35-120 minutes|
|Trail||30-70 minutes||50-140 minutes|
|Max torque||68 ft-lb (92 Nm)||68 ft-lb (92 Nm)|
|Max power||27 hp (20 kW) @ 4,300 RPM||54 hp (40 kW) @ 4,300 RPM|
|Top speed (max)||85 mph (137 km/h)||85 mph (137 km/h)|
|Top speed (sustained)||70 mph (113 km/h)||70 mph (113 km/h)|
|Type||Z-Force™ 75-7 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor||Z-Force™ 75-7 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor|
|Controller||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (MX track)||1,500 hours||2,910 hours|
|Estimated pack life to 80% (trail)||1,870 hours||3,560 hours|
|Power pack||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular|
|Max capacity||2.8 kWh||5.7 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||2.5 kWh||5.0 kWh|
|Charger type||1 kW, standalone||1 kW, standalone|
|Charge time (standard)||2.7 hours (100% charged) / 2.2 hours (95% charged)||4.9 hours (100% charged) / 4.4 hours (95% charged)|
|CHAdeMO charge time (accessory)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||1.6 hours (100% charged) / 1.1 hours (95% charged)||2.7 hours (100% charged) / 2.2 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless direct drive||Clutchless direct drive|
|Final drive||65T / 12T, 520 chain||65T / 12T, 520 chain|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted, forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping||38mm inverted, forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Remote reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping||Remote reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||9.44 in (240 mm)||9.44 in (240 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||8.94 in (227 mm)||8.94 in (227 mm)|
|Front brakes||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc|
|Rear brakes||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc|
|Wheel base||55.9 in (1,420 mm)||55.9 in (1,420 mm)|
|Seat height||35.9 in (912 mm)||35.9 in (912 mm)|
|Low seat height (accessory)||33.9 in (861 mm)||33.9 in (861 mm)|
|Rake||26.2 degrees||26.2 degrees|
|Trail||4.4 in (111 mm)||4.4 in (111 mm)|
|Frame||17 lb (7.7 kg)||17 lb (7.7 kg)|
|Curb weight||223 lb (101 kg)||265 lb (120 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||357 lb (162 kg)||315 lb (143 kg)|
|Typical cost to recharge||$0.30||$0.60|