The Zero S is a sporty model developed for those who are searching for a fast yet efficient bike. The motorcycle has received a set of pretty significant upgrades for 2013 and the most important is the new electric motor.
The new unit is 93% more powerful, generates 62% more torque and yields 20% greater city range compared to the old one. As far as the autonomy is concerned the Zero S is able to travel 137 mi (city), or 85 mi (highway), on a single charge which makes it the most capable motorcycle in its class.
You won’t complain about the bike’s acceleration either, while the maximum speed is also pretty good being rated at 95 Mph.
Other notable features include Nissin brakes, passenger pegs and a customizable dashboard.
The Zero S is available at a starting price of $13,995.00.
Hit the jump for more information on the Zero S ZF8.5 / Zero S ZF11.4.
NEW FOR 2013
ADDING TO EXCEPTIONAL.
The 2013 Zero S is 93% more powerful, generates 62% more torque and yields 20% greater city range. Using a new optional accessory the Zero S can be charged to 95% at CHAdeMO charging stations in an hour or less. Able to travel 137 mi (city), or 85 mi (highway), on a single charge, the Zero S is now the longest range production electric motorcycle in history. It is also Zero Motorcycles’ fastest with speeds of up to 95 mph. Featuring Zero Motorcycles’ completely new Z-Force™ motor and high-voltage power system, the Zero S delivers instant acceleration that is both impressive and incredibly smooth. The sophisticatedly simple, zero-shifting, zero-clutching direct drive powertrain operates with such high efficiency that it requires no mechanical cooling systems whatsoever.
Accompanying the stunning performance gains is a sleek new look, on-board storage, an improved rider interface and mobile device integration. New contemporary bodywork in the ‘tank’ section of the motorcycle now works in cooperation with a new two-up seat, frame and foot pegs to provide improved comfort and control. Nissin brakes as well as passenger pegs are now standard. Offering a new level of personalization, the 2013 Zero S works with mobile devices, via Bluetooth. This allows riders to view a customizable dashboard of detailed riding information and adjust the performance characteristics of the motorcycle.
THE ROAD AHEAD
Imagine instant torque and power from a standstill. Imagine smooth acceleration as you throttle out of turns. Then, imagine never needing to stop at a gas station or be burdened with any scheduled powertrain maintenance. Not only is this possible… it’s available now.
Developed to aggressively take on urban environments while encouraging occasional detours to your favorite stretch of back country twisties, the Zero S integrates revolutionary technology with innovative motorcycle design.
The result is a high performance motorcycle with one of the lowest costs of ownership ever. Zero Motorcycles’ all-new Z-Force™ power pack and motor are the state-of-the art. The bottom line: the Zero S accelerates hard to 95mph and goes farther than ever before.
Whether stealthily accelerating onto the highway or out of the turns, the Zero S is uniquely designed to deliver a sensation unlike any other on the road today. Are you ready?
Game Changing Z-Force™ Power Pack
130+ MI RANGE / 300,000+ MI LIFETIME
The 2013 Zero S leverages a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the ZF11.4 power pack enable you to go beyond 130 miles, it is also designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The integrated onboard charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge systems. What’s this all mean? Simply put, the Zero S is the leader for production electric motorcycles in acceleration, range, recharge time and longevity.
- Available in two configurations: ZF8.5 (103 mi) and ZF11.4 (137 mi)
- State of the art new 102 Volt power pack configurations and cell chemistry
- Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 309,000 miles on the original power pack
- High energy density yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- Advanced battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring
- Scalable quick-charge options available to cut recharge times (see specs for details)
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and optimized charge profile
Revolutionary Z-Force™ Motor
54 Hp, 68 Ft-Lbs… And Incredibly Efficient
Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force™ motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. It provides you with exhilarating acceleration to a top speed of 95 mph. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- Produces 54 hp and 68 ft-lbs of torque
- Requires no routine maintenance
- Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- Increased torque and broad power band for much stronger acceleration
- Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating
- Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- Eco mode re-gen levels can be customized using the Zero Motorcycles App
Frame And Bodywork
Great To Look At. Even Better To Ride.
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the Zero S twin spar frame. It is lightweight, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S handles incredibly well. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The motorcycle’s refined appearance is completed with sleek new bodywork to give it a contemporary, aggressive and naked look. The ‘tank’ section of the bodywork features an integrated storage compartment that is both lockable and removable.
- Standard passenger accommodation
- Beautifully sculpted new bodywork
- Integrated, lockable and removable storage compartment
- Extremely rigid and lightweight black twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
- Sleek headlight and LED tail light
Wheels And Brakes
Powerful Braking With Nissin
The Zero S uses weight and strength optimized cast wheels that are specifically developed for, and exclusively installed on, the Zero S. For maximum stopping power, the Zero S features robust and easy to modulate brakes with a new Nissin system.
- Only model to feature Zero’s new weight and strength optimized cast wheels
- Nissin brakes are precise, easy to modulate and require little effort
The Magic Ride
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycle’s lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. The smooth suspension combines with the silence of the powertrain to yield an exhilarating ride that needs to be experienced to be understood.
- Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Specialized fork and shock internals
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Dash And Controls
Focus On Enjoying The Ride
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide essential information on speed, charge and motor temperature. The Zero S allows you to set the motorcycle’s performance to either Sport or Eco. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the new Zero Motorcycles app.
- Sport / Eco switch to allow you to select motorcycle performance
- High intensity headlight
- Exceptionally accurate charge indicator
- Ergonomic and durable switch gear (for operation of lights, turn signals, etc.)
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- Newly designed and comfortable two-up seat
Zero Motorcycles App
Get Your Motorcycle Dialed
Using the new Zero Motorcycles app you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked the app allows you to set custom parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices.
- Bluetooth enabled connectivity for both iPhone and Android mobile devices
- Adjustable motorcycle performance to enable sportier or more economical riding (customized setting is available through the ‘eco’ mode setting on the Zero S)
- Customizable display reports precise state of charge and real-time power usage while riding
Direct Drive Gearing
Instant Torque With A Twist
Featuring a clutchless direct drive, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero S provides controlled and powerful acceleration from any speed between 0-95mph. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero S to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
- Sophisticatedly simple “just ride” direct-drive system means no clutch, no shifting and no need to carry a heavy and complex transmission
- Maintenance-free and virtually silent belt drive system
- Clutchless single speed that simplifies operation
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- Adjustable rear axle to modify belt tension
Plug In At Any Standard Outlet
The Zero S charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero S in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times from 0-95% to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.
|2013 ZERO S||ZERO S ZF8.5||ZERO S ZF11.4|
|City||103 miles (166 km)||137 miles (220 km)|
|Highway, 55mph (88 km/h)||64 miles (103 km)||85 miles (137 km)|
|Combined||79 miles (127 km)||105 miles (169 km)|
|Highway, 70mph (112 km/h)||53 miles (85 km)||70 miles (113 km)|
|Combined||70 miles (113 km)||93 miles (150 km)|
|Max torque||68 ft-lb (92 Nm)||68 ft-lb (92 Nm)|
|Max power||54 hp (40 kW) @ 4,300 RPM||54 hp (40 kW) @ 4,300 RPM|
|Top speed (max)||95 mph (153 km/h)||95 mph (153 km/h)|
|Top speed (sustained)||80 mph (129 km/h)||80 mph (129 km/h)|
|Engine Type||Z-Force™ 75-7 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor||Z-Force™ 75-7 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor|
|Controller||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration|
|Est. pack life to 80% (city)||232,000 miles (373,000 km)||309,000 miles (497,000 km)|
|Power pack||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent|
|Max capacity||8.5 kWh||11.4 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||7.5 kWh||10.0 kWh|
|Charger type||1.3 kW, integrated||1.3 kW, integrated|
|Charge time (standard)||6.0 hours (100% charged) / 5.5 hours (95% charged)||7.9 hours (100% charged) / 7.4 hours (95% charged)|
|CHAdeMO charge time (accessory)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||3.6 hours (100% charged) / 3.1 hours (95% charged)||4.6 hours (100% charged) / 4.1 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless direct drive||Clutchless direct drive|
|Final drive||132T / 28T, Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ belt||132T / 28T, Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ belt|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted, aluminum slider forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping||38mm inverted, aluminum slider forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Piggy-back reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping||Piggy-back reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||5.51 in (140 mm)||5.51 in (140 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||5.85 in (149 mm)||5.85 in (149 mm)|
|Front brakes||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 313x4 mm floating disc||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 313x4 mm floating disc|
|Rear brakes||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc|
|Wheel base||55.4 in (1,406 mm)||55.4 in (1,406 mm)|
|Seat height||31.3 in (794 mm)||31.3 in (794 mm)|
|Rake||23.8 degrees||23.8 degrees|
|Trail||3.2 in (82 mm)||3.2 in (82 mm)|
|Frame||19.5 lb (8.8 kg)||19.5 lb (8.8 kg)|
|Curb weight||355 lb (161 kg)||387 lb (175 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||400 lb (181 kg)||368 lb (167 kg)|
|Equivalent fuel economy (city)||463 MPGe (0.51 L/100 km)||463 MPGe (0.51 L/100 km)|
|Equivalent fuel economy (highway)||236 MPGe (1.00 L/100 km)||236 MPGe (1.00 L/100 km)|
|Typical cost to recharge||$0.90||$1.20|