Women riders love nothing more than starting up a Harley-Davidson, strapping on a helmet and hitting the open road. But to fully enjoy this kind of freedom, a woman requires a proper-fitting helmet designed to fit comfortably on her head — not on a man’s. Now, in an industry first, Harley-Davidson MotorClothes introduces the Skyline helmet series designed expressly for women, offering a customized fit that she can control.
For years, Harley-Davidson MotorClothes has been a leader in designing riding gear made to fit and function on a women’s body, offering everything from jackets to eyewear. The helmet, however, was long assumed to be a unisex item until research revealed that women had other ergonomic needs.
How the Skyline Caters to Women
"We started hosting helmet seminars at dealerships, and women told us they often have to fit the helmet over more hair than man, which can leave the helmet sitting too high on the head, resulting in poor fit," says Matt Thompson, Harley-Davidson Category Manager of Riding Gear, Leathers and Outerwear. "We determined that a woman’s helmet needs to be more adjustable both front-to-back and side-to-side."
The result is the new Skyline helmet series. It features:
- a shell and liner that is 10 mm deeper than the standard helmet dimensions, allowing it to fit more comfortably on a women’s forehead and the back of her head,
- an interchangeable inner liner side panel keeps the helmet from being too loose on the sides. The panels, sold separately, simply slide and snap into the helmet liner in place of the side panels that come with the helmet,
- it’s available in seven different thickness sizes which can be fitted with thin pieces of foam for a customized fit, and
- an anti-static comfort liner to reduce "helmet hair" that often results after removing a helmet, and a "pony tail notch" to provide extra room through a special cut-out section in the back.
"Customized helmet fit also is a primary consideration for all riders," adds Thompson. "Correct fit is necessary in order for a helmet to function properly. Now, women riders can customize this important piece of head gear to their unique needs, not only for a more comfortable fit, but for ideal performance as well."
Women riders no longer have to wear helmets designed for a man’s head. The new Harley-Davidson MotorClothes Skyline Helmet Series is specially designed for a woman’s head contours and hair styles for better comfort, fit and safety.
- 1/2 Helmet style 98238-08VW
- 3/4 Helmet style 98239-08VW
- MSRP: $150
- MSRP: $195
- Color: Gloss Black
- Available in sizes 2XS to 2XL
- Deeper shell and liner than standard helmet to fit a womenÕs head contours and hair
- Interchangeable inner liner side panel allows proper helmet fit and comfort
- Antistatic liner and ponytail cutout section
Enthusiasts can check out Harley-Davidson MotorClothes riding gear at Genuine Authorized Harley-Davidson Dealerships nationwide. Visit harley-davidson.com or call 1.800.LUV.2RIDE to find the nearest dealership.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight street, custom and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel. Buell Motorcycle Company produces sport motorcycles in addition to motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel.