No one could predict such a spectacular race and such a result. The driver with the less chance to the title won. Ferrari fans all over the world are celebrating a fantastic season for their favorite Formula One team.
After winning the Constructor Championship after the McLaren’s disqualification – the big espionage scandal in which McLaren was accused to spy Ferrari – now Kimi Raikkonen has won with 110 points the Drivers’ Championship after a race lead until lap 50 by Felipe Massa, his team mate, that finished second.
Fernando Alonso finished the Interlagos race on the third place, accumulating 109 points. He had a “boring” race, the only things sensational was the attack on Hamilton after the start when he took the third position and his fight with Robert Kubica, when the BMW driver past Alonso and for a couple of laps held the third position.
Lewis Hamilton, the driver with the most chances to win the Drivers Championship, finished the race on the seventh place where he accumulated 2 points that allowed him to finish second in the Drivers Championship with 109 points. Although he has the same points like Alonso he finished the season second because he finished second one more race than Alonso: five – they have the same number of wins this season: four.
Some of the interesting things that happened during the race are:
- After the start Alonso muscles his way past Hamilton. Hamilton tries to fight back but runs wide losing places. He was down on eighth place.
- Lap 8 Hamilton is slowing, he looks unable to find a gear. He has dropped on 18 place.
- In lap 32 Nakajima knocks down two mechanics. Neither looks seriously injured, but one is left limping after completing the stop.
- Lap 42 Barrichello ends the season without a point after his Honda looks takes fire after entering the pit stops. The mechanics extinguish the fire and pushed the car into the garage.
- Lap 50 Massa pits and Raikkonen takes the lead.
- Lap 64 Hamilton is not giving up, and after Trulli pit entrance he moves up to the seventh place.
- Lap 71 Raikkonen finishes first, Massa second, Alonso third, followed by Nico Rosberg, Robert Kubica, Nick Heidfeld, Lewis Hamilton, Jarno Trulli, David Coulthard, Kazuki Nakajima, Ralf Schumacher, Takuma Sato, Vitantonio Liuzzi and Anthony Davidson. The following drivers have abandoned the race: Adrian Sutil, Rubens Barrichello, Heikki Kovalainen, Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button, Mark Webber, Sakon Yamamoto and Giancarlo Fisichella.
This ends the 2007 Formula One season, and I hope that the 2008 season will be more exciting than this one.