2008 Yamaha FX SHO
The 2008 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner is quick and looks very! This Waverunner has, along with an impressive list of really innovative new features, the largest displacement engine ever put into a Personal Water Craft. This is a total package of comfort, performance, and technology features.
2008 Yamaha FX SHO
New for the Yamaha FX SHO is a 1.8 liter, 1,812cc supercharged, super-high output engine, which is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also the only engine in the high-performance, four-stroke category optimized to run on the least expensive regular unleaded fuel.
This engine – 300cc’s larger and 45 lbs lighter than the nearest competitive engine and quicker from 0-30mph – is the most powerful, the fastest, cleanest, most efficient and economical watercraft in this class, ever yet the lowest-emission marine engine.
Yamaha engineers developed some interesting new features for the 2008 FX SHO, features that make the driver’ life more easier when riding this powerful watercraft. One of them is the Yamaha’s “Cruise Assist” that lets the driver to set and hold a specific engine speed, which can easily be raised or lowered with the touch of a button. This feature reduces throttle fatigue, improves towing capability, and will extend the range of the craft due to better fuel economy.
Another innovative feature, available only on Yamaha boats before now, is the “No Wake Mode” – a factory pre-set throttle speed, engaged by depressing a button at your fingertips. It gives you the ability to cruise along steadily at 5 mph without depressing the throttle lever. This allows the driver to relax and to see the sights at slow speeds.
The “Reverse Traction Control” another innovation of the Yamaha’s engineers is design to ease the handle of the FX SHO in reverse maintaining the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering.
Yamaha utilizes a state of the art, environmentally-sound, high compression molded process to create its personal watercraft hulls, decks and liners. The investment in this unique process enables the creation and exploitation of a range of new technologies on the cutting edge of engineering. In an effort to reduce weight and increase performance, Yamaha engineers have deployed an exclusive, nanotechnology formula, called NanoXcel, in its hull, deck and liner manufacturing.
The FX SHO’s hall and deck is made with Nanoxcel, an ultra-lightweight, high-strength material that reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, top speed and handling.
The creation of an ultra-lightweight, high-strength material allows Yamaha to shave a quarter of the weight off of our hull and deck – making this WaveRunner exceptionally nimble and responsive.
Yamaha offers for this 2008 model color choices like Stealth Black or Metallic Midnight Blue, reflecting in its aggressive styling and graphics the performance of the FX SHO.
The storage space was not forgotten by the Yamaha designers. The FX SHO has 26.4 gallons of storage space including a big locker forward, one under the seat, a glove box, and a small waterproof locker.
The fold-down boarding step and the sizable aft deck allows an easy boarding, and pop-up cleats are fitted forward of the rugged non-slip decking. You can find also at this model an adjustable tilt steering and a low-rpm mode for novices and a remote-controlled security system that can be activated from up to 30 feet away, and don’t forget about the comprehensive digital instrument package and the fuel-flow meter – another innovation in the ski jet industry.
A waverunner is made for power, comfort and to impress other people so all the details count. Yamaha didn’t forgot about that and equipped this model with a smart sports car-style dash panel and even with drinks holders so you can enjoy riding the 2008 FX SHO.
The FX SHO’s 18.5-gallon fuel tank will give you a range of about 125 miles at just over 30 mph. You can hit 30 mph in about 1.8 seconds, and reach a top speed of 66.3 mph.
A sports car-like performance in a sharp-looking package loaded with lots of features, that’s what you’ll get from the FX SHO.
This torque monster (at maximum speed it can reach 7400 rpm) has an extremely snappy acceleration and an incredible handling. NanoXcel, provides a hull that’s up to 25% lighter, giving the boat marked increases in speed, acceleration and responsiveness. You’ll see the difference from your first ride. The FX SHO is probably the best handling hull that you have ever been on and you’ll feel very confident whipping it around a buoy course at high speed. This ski just carves around the turns.
The acceleration, the turning response and the top speed are better than before. Remember one thing: it’s not always the power that counts. Yamaha accomplishes through low weight and hull design to create a waverunner that can easy beat those of the competition. Yamaha is, was and I think it will always be about the “total package”, the complex and improved product that will beat its competition while having low enough power to maintain reliability and decent fuel economy.
The 2008 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner, an entirely new form of perfection, is a really complete top-end PWC package that delivers outstanding performance in a total package of innovative features and inspired looks. It is the product know-how garnered from two decades of Yamaha PWC development and evolution since our first model was introduced, and making full use of the very latest technological advances.
- The FX SHO is powered by an all new 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine. This 1812cc engine, which is purpose built for the marine environment, is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also the only engine in the high-performance, four-stroke category optimized to run on the least expensive Regular Unleaded fuel.
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI): Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly: Provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch: Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box: With water repellent air filter and flame arrestors.
- Wet Sump Lubrication: Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Yamaha Engine Management System (Y.E.M.S.): An integrated, computerized management system that controls and adjusts such functions as ignition timing, fuel injection mapping, engine diagnostics and off throttle steering. The OTS function of Y.E.M.S. activates when the operator releases the throttle lever and attempts to steer the watercraft. This assists the operator in turning while the watercraft is decelerating.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector: Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic Cooling System: Water flow through the engine is automatically controlled through a thermostat sensor.
- Corrosion Protection System: Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing: For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
- Direct Ignition: For more efficient combustion.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
- The FX SHO’s 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system with three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FX pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
- The industry’s only Reverse with Traction Control technology: maintains the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering when the watercraft in reverse
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.): Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner: For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate: The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The NanoXcel Hull and Deck
- The FX SHO features the world’s first hulls and decks manufactured through the use of cutting edge nanotechnology. Yamaha’s new NanoXcel ultra-lightweight, high strength material reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, top speed and handling. Additionally, the NanoXcel material offers a shinier, gem-like finish which reduces surface tension on the water, providing a more nimble, responsive ride.
- Progressive, Stepper Draft V-Hull with Integrated Bow Spray Guard: Provides excellent maneuverability, handling and comfort.
- Sponson Design: Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two and three-up riding experience.
- Yamaha’s exclusive Cruise Assist is the industry’s first system that allows the driver to set and hold a particular speed while maintaining a comfortable riding position with the throttle. Once the speed is set, the driver can increase or decrease the speed through the simple push of a button. When the throttle is disengaged the system shuts off.
- Yamaha’s exclusive No Wake Mode makes cruising through no-wake zones a breeze. Once engaged, the no-wake mode moves the engine’s RPMs to an optimal speed, approximately 5 mph, for efficiently navigating through a no-wake zone. Once through, the driver simply applies throttle and the no-wake mode is released.
- Four-step Adjustable Tilt Steering System: Allows the rider to adjust the steering column angle from 55 degrees to 35 degrees.
- Multi-function Electronic Information Center: Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry’s only audible warning system.
- Industry’s First Remote Controlled Transmitter: With the touch of a button on Yamaha’s innovative remote controlled transmitter, you can activate and deactivate the FX SHO’s digital security system and all-new Low RPM Mode from up to 30 feet away.
- Low RPM Mode™: Also with the touch a button on the remote transmitter, the top speed of the FX Cruiser High Output is reduced by nearly 30 percent.
- Yamaha Security System: This security system that can be activated with the touch of a button ensures that no one starts the FX SHO without your permission.
- 26 Gallons of Total Storage: Includes a large 19.8-gallon cooler, rear storage tub and glove box.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders: The industry’s first self-draining beverage holders.
- Extra Large Boarding Platform with Retractable Reboarding Step: Provides a stable area for reboarding.
- Dual Mirrors: Automotive style and convenience.
- Finger Throttle Lever: Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha’s Trademarked Visibility Spout®: A waterspout from the rear of the craft that improves the watercraft’s conspicuity.
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Bore/Stroke: 86 x 78mm
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Exhaust: Wet
Type of Lubrication: Wet Sump
Cooling: Open-Looped, Water
Ignition: Direct Ignition
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Carburetor/Injection: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition Timing: 20° BTDC
Spark Plug: NGK LFR6A
Pump: 155mm Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive from Engine
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Length: 132.7 in. (3.37 m)
Width: 48.4 in. (1.23 m)
Height: 48.8 in. (1.24 m)
Dry Weight: 827 lbs (376 kg)
Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gal (70 l)
Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal (4.2 l)
Vehicle Capacity: 3 person/ 529 lbs (240 kg)
Storage Capacity: 26.4 gal (100 l)
Hull Material: NanoXcel
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Color: Stealth Black; Metallic Midnight Blue
Price: starting at 11,999 USD