2009 Yamaha FX SHO
The Yamaha FX SHO, considered as the most award-winning watercraft of all time, features now the massive torque of the industry’s largest engine and the responsive ride of a NanoXcel™ hull and deck to offer you the best ride of your life.
The FX SHO is a perfect form in a PWC. It is the product know-how garnered from two decades of Yamaha PWC development and evolution since our first model was introduced, and making full use of the very latest technological advances. The sharp-lined body has been designed with state-of-the-art PWC technologies in every aspect. Its 1,812cc 4-stroke, supercharged engine is Yamaha’s answer to what constitutes the ideal format for a PWC engine. Its SMC hull is built with a super-light material called NanoXcel™. And, the FX SHO also boasts the latest in electronic control devices, like the industry-first Cruise Assist. The seat is a sports type that enables greater freedom of sitting position for the rider and passenger. Features including the extra large rear platform, the Reboarding Step and the Cruise Assist function combine to make this the ideal ski boat. In fact, you will find that the FX SHO provides unbeatable performance and features for hard-core marine enthusiasts and families alike, in all kinds of marine sports and leisure use and in high-speed cruising. This is a machine that is sure to exceed your highest expectations.
2009 Yamaha FX SHO
The 2009 FX SHO has the ideal Yamaha PWC engine that provides high performance, lightness and compactness, reliability and durability, a low fuel consumption with clean emission and lots of quiet. This 4-stroke, 4-cylinder DOHC 4-valve supercharged, 1,812cc engine will accurately translates the rider’s will into a smooth precision run.
Taking into full consideration the character of a PWC, Yamaha developed the new supercharger to be a part of the ideal PWC engine with qualities like quietness, compactness and minimum horsepower loss. Using fluid analysis to design turbine fins with the ideal shape to enable greater compactness without sacrificing output, both improved response and greater overall engine compactness were achieved.
The compressor has a direct gear drive connected to the drive shaft a structure made possible by packaging it with the engine. The gear drive compressor has excellent durability, easy maintenance, and excellent noise reduction.
The intercooler cools off the compressed air and improves engine efficiency. Compact in design, the intercooler maintains the best capacity while contributing to the miniaturization of engine components.
The overall balance between the supercharger and the different engine components and the pursuit of system efficiency has enabled good economy despite the big displacement and supercharging. Optimization of the valve layout and combustion chamber shape has enabled a high compression ratio despite the supercharging function to improve combustion efficiency.
Furthermore, this is the only supercharged engine in the industry designed to use unleaded regular gasoline rather than expensive premium gasoline. Engine performance is not simply a matter of high output. It is a total value including fuel economy, serviceability and environmental friendliness.
The FX SHO is made of a material called SMC (Sheet Molding Compound). SMC is a material that consists of fiberglass, for strength; a filler for bulk; and a resin to bond the materials together. The NanoXcel material used for the hull, hull liner, deck, and the bulkhead of FX SHO makes it approximately 55 lbs (25 kg) lighter compared to the product weight of previous materials. The merits of the weight reduction are: improvement in acceleration, improvement in top running speed, lighter touch and better control, better fuel consumption and easy transportation.
The Yamaha FX SHO is designed to achieve a high-level balance of performance and easy riding. The hull design of this model that translates the awesome power of the SHO engine into outstanding running performance is the product of Yamaha’s exclusive hull development know-how.
Anyone who rides this model is sure to be amazed at how easily such a high-performance machine as this responds to the will of the rider.
- The FX SHO is powered by a 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine. This 1812cc engine, which is purpose built for the marine environment, is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also optimized to run on the least expensive Regular Unleaded fuel.
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI): Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly: Provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch: Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box: With water repellent air filter and flame arrestors.
- Wet Sump Lubrication: Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector: Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic Cooling System: Water flow through the engine is automatically controlled through a thermostat sensor.
- Corrosion Protection System: Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing: For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
- Direct Ignition: For more efficient combustion.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
- The FX SHO’s 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system with three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FX SHO pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
- The industry’s only Reverse with Traction Control technology: Maintains the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering when the watercraft is in reverse.
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.): Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner: For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate: The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The NanoXcel Hull and Deck
- The FX SHO features the world’s first hulls and decks manufactured through the use of cutting edge nanotechnology. Yamaha’s new NanoXcel ultra-lightweight, high strength material reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, fuel savings, top speed and handling. Additionally, the NanoXcel material offers a shinier, gem-like finish which reduces surface tension on the water, providing a more nimble, responsive ride.
- Progressive, Stepper Draft V-Hull with Integrated Bow Spray Guard: Provides excellent maneuverability, handling and comfort.
- Sponson Design: Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two and three-up riding experience.
- Yamaha’s exclusive Cruise Assist is the industry’s first system that allows the driver to set and hold a particular speed while maintaining a comfortable riding position with the throttle. Once the speed is set, the driver can increase or decrease the speed through the simple push of a button. When the throttle is disengaged the system shuts off.
- Yamaha’s exclusive No Wake Mode makes cruising through no-wake zones a breeze. Once engaged, the no-wake mode moves the engine’s RPMs to an optimal speed, approximately 5 mph, for efficiently navigating through a no-wake zone. Once through, the driver simply applies throttle and the no-wake mode is released.
- Four-step Adjustable Tilt Steering System: Allows the rider to adjust the steering column angle from 55 degrees to 35 degrees.
- Multi-function Electronic Information Center: Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry’s only audible warning system.
- Industry’s First Remote Controlled Transmitter: With the touch of a button on Yamaha’s innovative remote controlled transmitter, you can activate and deactivate the FX SHO’s digital security system and all-new Low RPM Mode from up to 30 feet away.
- Low RPM Mode™: The personal watercraft industry’s first fuel saving feature, Low RPM can reduce fuel consumption by up to 26% based on average annual use.
- Yamaha Security System: This security system that can be activated with the touch of a button ensures that no one starts the FX SHO without your permission.
- 26 Gallons of Total Storage: Includes a large 19.8-gallon cooler, rear storage tub and glove box.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders: The industry’s first self-draining beverage holders.
- Extra Large Boarding Platform with Retractable Reboarding Step: Provides a stable area for reboarding.
- Dual Mirrors: Automotive style and convenience.
- Finger Throttle Lever: Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha’s Trademarked Visibility Spout®: A waterspout from the rear of the craft that improves the watercraft’s conspicuity.
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Bore/Stroke: 86 x 78mm
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Exhaust: Wet
Type of Lubrication: Wet Sump
Cooling: Open-Looped, Water
Ignition: Direct Ignition
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Carburetor/Injection: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition Timing: 20° BTDC
Spark Plug: NGK LFR6A
Pump: 155mm Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive from Engine
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Length: 132.7” (3.37m)
Width: 48.4” (1.23m)
Height: 48.8” (1.24m)
Dry Weight: 827 lb (376 kg)
Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gal (70 L)
Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal (4.2 L)
Vehicle Capacity: 3 person/529 lb (240 kg)
Storage Capacity: 26.4 gal (100 L)
Hull Material: NanoXcel
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Color: Atomic Blue Metallic or Stealth Black