2009 Yamaha FZR
The new FZR waverunner from Yamaha evokes the world-championship racing heritage of Yamaha in a new era of high-performance musclecraft design. Built specifically to accommodate stand-up riding, the FZR pairs Yamaha’s renowned SHO engine technology with a new race-inspired NanoXcel™ hull and deck—the result is a state of the art watercraft that is quick and nimble with the balance and maneuverability to truly connect the driver to the machine.
The new FZ Series WaveRunners is the first sit-down personal watercraft designed for stand-up riding. This sports-oriented line features the industry’s first telescopic steering column to help make it easier for riders go from sitting to standing and offers three different riding positions. The hull, deck and seat were also designed to promote stand-up riding.
In the 2009 FZR all of the elements that you would expect in a watercraft known for its performance are balanced at a very high level of maneuverability in the high-speed range, sportiness, highly honed turning performance and exhilarating acceleration.
2009 Yamaha FZR
The FZR is powered by a 1812cc, 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine, which is purpose-built for the marine environment, is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also the only engine in the high-performance, four-stroke category optimized to run on the least expensive regular unleaded fuel.
Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
The FZR’s all-new hull design combines remarkably tight turning with an edge-to-edge inside-lean character that is as exciting as it is precise. The FZ series features Yamaha’s exclusive, award-winning NanoXcel™ hulls and decks that are engineered using nanotechnology to reduce overall weight. The result is a state of the art watercraft that is quick and nimble, but with balance and maneuverability that truly connects the driver to the machine.
The FZR has a deep purplish blue metallic coating, the race image color of Yamaha, and is a reflection of its challenging spirit. In addition to riders who want to know what it feels like to ride a champion racer, it is also perfect for those that want a luxurious experience all to themselves.
Everything about the hulls of the FZ Series was geared towards aggressive, sport riding. Compared to the hulls in the rest of the WaveRunner line, the FZR hull is much shorter and designed to be more nimble and agile. Yamaha says the larger pump inlet duct results in more acceleration and better pickup and the full-length lifting strakes allow for more top speed.
- The FZR is powered by a 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine. Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI): Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly: Provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch: Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box: With water repellent air filter and flame arrestors.
- Wet Sump Lubrication: Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector: Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic Cooling System: Water flow through the engine is automatically controlled through a thermostat sensor.
- Corrosion Protection System: Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing: For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
- Direct Ignition: For more efficient combustion.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
- The FZR’s 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system with three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FZR pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
- The industry’s only Reverse with Traction Control technology: Maintains the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering when the watercraft is in reverse.
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.): Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner: For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate: The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The NanoXcel Hull and Deck
- The FZR features the world’s first hulls and decks manufactured through the use of cutting edge nanotechnology. Yamaha’s NanoXcel ultra-lightweight, high strength material reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, top speed and performance-driven handling. Additionally, the NanoXcel material offers a shinier, gem-like finish which reduces surface tension on the water, providing a more nimble, responsive ride.
- All New Performance-Enhanced Hull: Provides excellent agility and maneuverability.
- Sponson Design: Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two and three-up riding experience.
- Telescopic Steering: Three variable positions designed to give the driver the option of standup riding, traditional sit-down riding or low to get even closer to the action.
- Racing-Inspired Fastback Seat: Accommodates up to two people for a performance-driven ride.
- Dual Analog Meters: Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry’s only audible warning system.
- Industry’s First Remote Controlled Transmitter: With the touch of a button on Yamaha’s innovative remote controlled transmitter, you can activate and deactivate the FX SHO’s digital security system and all-new Low RPM Mode from up to 30 feet away.
- Low RPM Mode™: The personal watercraft industry’s first fuel saving feature, Low RPM can reduce fuel consumption by up to 26% based on average annual use.
- Yamaha Security System: This security system that can be activated with the touch of a button ensures that no one starts the FX SHO without your permission.
- 21.3 Gallons of Total Storage: Includes a large, watertight storage compartment under the seat and the glove box.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders: The industry’s first self-draining beverage holders.
- Dual Mirrors: Automotive style and convenience.
- Finger Throttle Lever: Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha’s Trademarked Visibility Spout®: A waterspout from the rear of the craft that improves the watercraft’s conspicuity.
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Bore/Stroke: 86 x 78mm
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Exhaust: Wet
Type of Lubrication: Wet Sump
Cooling: Open-Looped, Water
Ignition: Direct Ignition
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Carburetor/Injection: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition Timing: 20° BTDC
Spark Plug: NGK LFR6A
Pump: 155mm Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive from Engine
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Dry Weight: 807 lb
Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gal
Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal
Vehicle Capacity: 2 person/353 lb
Storage Capacity: 21.3 gal
Hull Material: NanoXcel
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Color: Metallic Racing Blue