Alfa Romeo Needs Chrysler Buyout to Launch the 4C in America

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C High Resolution Exterior
- image 523917

We are all super excited over the Alfa Romeo 4C, with its sexy looks, stunning curves, lightning quick four-pot engine and a price point under anything that nears its performance credentials. We thought it was basically a slam dunk that it was coming to America, but there is now a little doubt in the air.

Recent reports claim that Chrysler and Fiat CEO, Sergio Marchionne, claims that Fiat S.p.A. produce the new sports car for the U.S. market without complete control of Chrysler — Fiat S.p.A. owns Alfa Romeo, and needs Chrysler’s cash flow and production capabilities to produce the 4C en mass. Currently, Fiat owns about 62 percent of the Chrysler and the remaining 38 percent is wrapped up in a union trust, and the union wants $6 billion to buy out the remaining 38 percent — Marchionne doesn’t want to pay more than $4 billion.

The only alternative to this buyout is to release an IPO that will allow the public to buy into Chrysler, but that would cause a huge conflict of interest for Marchionne and Fiat — Marchionne would want the share prices to go high to keep shareholders happy, but also remain low enough to allow Fiat to purchase maximum shares.

Most experts believe that the union and Fiat will come to an agreement somewhere between $4 and $6 billion for the remaining ownership of Chrysler, and that the IPO is very unlikely.

We couldn’t care less about the finances, folks. We just want to get the chance to buy the 4C, and soon!!!

Click past the jump to read more about the Alfa Romeo 4C.

Alfa Romeo 4C

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C High Resolution Exterior
- image 523911

The production version of the 4C was unveiled at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show, after the Alfa released the concept the previous year.

The 4C is powered by a turbocharged, 1,742 cc, four-cylinder engine that features direct fuel injection, dual continuous variable-valve timing and a revolutionary scavenging-control system to avoid turbo lag. This engine delivers a total of 240 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 258 pound-feet of torque between 2,100 and 4,000 rpm. As a result the 4C can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and up to a top speed of 160 mph.

Rumors suggest that on the U.S. market the 4C will be priced from $54k.

Source: Bloomberg

What do you think?
Show Comments
Car Finder: