Audi S4 sedan on sale in USA in Fall 2009
After unveiling the European specification on the 2009 S4, Audi also revealed USA data on the car. The S4 sedan will go on sale in Fall of 2009 as a 2010 model, with pricing to be announced at a later date, but according to the company will be similar to the outgoing model. S4 Avant body style will not be offered in the USA. S4 will compete with BMW M3 sedan and Mercedes-Benz AMG C63.
Full US specifications after the jump.
- The A4 product line is critical to Audi of America’s growth in the USA, and
the S4 supports this by expanding the line’s sportiness.
- The new S4 is a sports car offering an impressive driving experience,
leading technologies, and every-day suitability.
- Audi Drive Select (adjustable engine/throttle mapping, suspension
damping, and dynamic steering) is a benchmark in the segment and
- All-new version of the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 provides excellent
acceleration and efficiency in all driving situations.
- New 7-speed S tronic dual clutch transmission for faster precise gear
- New optional quattroSport rear differential enhances agility.
- S4 will be offered exclusively as a sedan in the USA.
- USA market launch is Fall 2009, as a 2010 model year vehicle.
- Key competitors are BMW M3 sedan and Mercedes-Benz AMG C63.
- S4-specific interior and exterior distinctive features include:
- New rear LED lighting
- Front/rear bumpers, including unique front grille
- Trunk lid with integrated spoiler
- Aluminum optic mirrors
- Special 18” wheels standard with high performance tires
- S4 brake calipers with logo
- Sport seats with unique interior color offerings
- Black interior headliner
- S4-badged steering wheel, aluminum door sill inlays, key fob, and gauge
- Brushed aluminum interior trim with available carbon fiber, wood,
and stainless steel options
- Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention
- S4 Aluminum-optic exterior accents include front and rear diffuser blades,
mirror housings, and four exhaust pipes.
- Modular Longitudinal Chassis architecture is the foundation for a benchmark
- Extensive use of new ultra-high-strength steels increase rigidity of the
body while also reducing weight.
- Repositioned clutch / torque-converter allows more forward position of
- Better agility and turn in
- Better axle load distribution
- Shorter front overhang
- Longer wheelbase = more comfortable ride
- Repositioned steering rack, lower and closer to the wheel carriers lowers
center of gravity and provides more direct steering control/feedback.
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance enhanced due to longer, wider,
and lower dimensions.
- Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
Powertrain and Performance
- Standard power train will be the new 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 mated to
quattro® all-wheel drive
- Transmission choices include a 6-speed manual gearbox and a new 7-speed
S tronic dual clutch transmission.
- 3.0 TFSI V6 specifications:
- FSI direct injection with intercooled supercharger
- 333hp – 325 lb-ft
- 0-60 mph 5.1 sec (est.)
- Top speed 155 mph
- Latest generation of quattro® all-wheel drive is employed, with asymmetric
rear-biased torque split (40% front / 60% rear under nominal conditions).
- New available quattroSport rear differential dynamically varies torque
between the rear wheels.
- Fuel economy is significantly improved over previous generation S4.
- Braking system is upgraded specifically for the S4.
- MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
- Audi Drive Select – varies the engine, transmission, steering, and
suspension damping characteristics to suit the driver’s preferences
- Self-opening trunk lid
- Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
- Advanced Key keyless entry and starting
- Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
- Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- Audi Parking System rear with rearview camera
- Electromechanical parking brake
- DVD-based Navigation system with voice control
- Audi Side Assist lane change assistant
- Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system
- Standard 6-speed manual and optional S tronic 7-speed automatic
transmission with steering wheel shift paddles
Interior is 20mm longer, rear knee room increased by 36mm, leg room, headroom and shoulder room also increased.
Launch Timing and Pricing
- USA S4 sedan goes on sale in Fall 2009 (as a 2010 model year vehicle),
with pricing expected to be similar to the outgoing model. S4 Avant body
style will not be offered in the USA.
- European S4 hits European roads in Spring 2009.