Dodge Challenger SRT8 by Hennessey Performance
The Dodge Challenger SRT8 is the fastest Challenger available, but it seems this didn’t impress the guys from Hennessey Performance Engineering. Although it packs 425 hp, Hennessey thought that the car needed more power. With the help of some new components, they obtained and astonishing 620 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque.
Everything is made possible by the new HPE600 Turbo package, which contains a high-flow ported & polished aluminum cylinder heads, lowered compression ratio, high flow air filter, upgraded fuel pump system, a front mounted air-to-air intercooler and a new stainless-steel 3-inch diameter dual exhaust system. In the interior Henessey added embroidered floor mats, serial numbered dash plaque in interior and engine compartment, embroidered front seat head rests, HPE600 logo on tachometer and speedometer. On the exterior there are Hennessey and HPE600 badges and HPE600 “Hockey Stick” graphics package. Everything at a price of $29,500. Without a donor car, a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with the complete HPE600 Turbo upgrade starts at $74,950.
Press release after the jump.
Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) is well known for its ability to take fast Mopars-such as the Dodge Viper-and make them go faster. The all-new Challenger SRT8 has just hit the streets with its 6.1L Hemi V-8 and in traditional fashion HPE already has performance upgrade packages available. Despite packing 425 hp, HPE knew that many Dodge Challenger SRT8 buyers would want improved power and performance to make their new hot rods even hotter. Now Challenger owners can have Viper and ZR1-like power in the form of 620 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque.
HPE offers numerous packages for the new Challenger including naturally-aspirated versions with 500, 530 and 575 horsepower or forced induction applications (either turbocharged or supercharged) producing 600 to 725 horsepower. The most popular package is expected to be the Hennessey HPE600 SC that is now available directly from HPE as well as from its growing dealer network, including Ringgold Dodge of Ringgold, GA.
While HPE set out to improve the all-new Challengers’ straight line acceleration, the company also developed track tested upgrades to help improve the car’s handling and braking. “The Challenger does a lot of things very well and the factory SRT8 is a great car to start with,” said company founder, John Hennessey. “Unfortunately, it’s a big car weighing over 4,000 lbs. So, while we can’t remove 800 lbs from the car, we can add another 195 hp.”
In early testing a Hennessey Challenger HPE600 Turbo recorded a quarter mile time of 11.9-seconds @ 121 mph on optional Nitto Drag Radial tires with a conservative launch. In addition, the HPE600 also spent time on the Carolina Motorsports Park road course where HPE’s suspension upgrades (including KW adjustable coil-over shocks/springs, larger anti-roll bars, and unique bushings) were track tuned. With the significant increase in power and handling, HPE also has available for the Challenger a set of vehicle specific StopTech brakes replete with lightweight rotors.
Noted below are details of the Hennessey HPE600 Turbo package now available for 2008 – 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 models:
HPE600 Turbo Upgrade
• High-flow ported & polished aluminum cylinder heads
• Lowered compression ratio (from stock 10.3:1 to 9.6:1)
• Garrett ball bearing turbocharger
• Handmade stainless-steel turbo headers
• Single 44 mm billet-aluminum wastegate
• Stainless-steel 3-inch diameter dual exhaust system
• Front mounted air-to-air intercooler
• 3.5-inch polished inlet tube with integrated blow-off valve
• High flow air filter
• Upgraded fuel injectors
• Billet aluminum fuel rails
• Upgraded fuel pump system
• Hennessey and HPE600 exterior badges
• Hennessey HPE600 “Hockey Stick” graphics package
• Hennessey embroidered floor mats
• Serial numbered dash plaque in interior and engine compartment
• Hennessey embroidered front seat head rests
• Hennessey / HPE600 on tachometer and speedometer
• All necessary gaskets and fluids
• Professional installation
• One year limited warranty
• Half day of driving instruction at Lonestar Motorsports Park (adjacent to the HPE facility)
• Transmission upgrade with shift kit
• KW adjustable coil-over suspension upgrade (1.5 inch lowered ride height)
• StopTech front brake system with 6-piston front calipers and 14.0-inch AeroRotor lightweight rotors
• StopTech rear brake system 4-piston calipers with 13.1-inch AeroRotor lightweight rotors
• Hennessey polished 5-spoke billet aluminum wheel upgrade (20×9.5-inch front, 20×11-inch rear)
• Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275/45ZR20 tires
• Nitto Drag Radial 305/40R20 rear tires
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with the complete HPE600 Turbo upgrade starts at $74,950.
About HPE - Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) has been in business for over 18 years and operates from a brand new 24,000 square foot facility located at Lonestar Motorsports Park. HPE is located about 45 minutes west of Houston, Texas on Interstate 10.
The HPE facility includes:
• Quarter-mile dragstrip
• 1.4 Mile test track
• 20 Service bays
• 15 Vehicle lifts
• Secure indoor storage
• Engine assembly room
• Cylinder head porting/machining shop
• Welding and metal fabrication shop
• Dynojet 248C chassis dynamometer rated to 1800 rear wheel hp
• Chassis dynamometer wideband air/fuel analyzer
• Showroom & customer waiting area