Fisker/Aston Lawsuit Dropped; Thunderbolt Will Not Be Produced
There’s no denying that Henrik Fisker’s Thunderbolt Concept is a stunning take on the Aston Martin Vanquish, but it’s also not hard to see how similar this design study looked to the actual car it was based upon. Aston Martin saw the similarities, too, and filed a lawsuit against Fisker for trademark infringements, but now it now seems that cooler heads have prevailed in this matter and the issue has been resolved.
Both parties released a joint statement that says Aston Martin has dropped its lawsuit in exchange for Fisker agreeing to not produce the Thunderbolt. When the car debuted, Fisker had said that the car would be sold in limited numbers through Galpin Motors in L.A. Galpin and Fisker teamed up to create the Ford Mustang Rocket at last year’s SEMA Show, but Ford obviously took less offense to that project than Aston Martin did to the Thunderbolt.
The good news is that this didn’t turn into a lengthy or ugly court case. Fisker unveiled the Thunderbolt Concept at the 2015 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance on March 14, and Aston Martin filed its lawsuit on March 26.
Continue reading to learn more about the Fisker/Aston lawsuit.
Why it matters
With the amount of time and money that has been put into Project Thunderbolt, there’s still a good chance that Fisker and Galpin could team up for another Vanquish-based custom car down the road. If such a car does come to fruition, it will undoubtedly be much easier to tell apart from an Aston Martin than this car.