Former world boxing champion faces jail over Mercedes SLR crash
Hamed’s Mercedes-McClaren car was wrecked in a crash near one of the boxer’s Sheffield homes. The accident left another man with fractures to "every major bone in his body".
The former WBO world featherweight champion - known during his fighting career as Prince Naseem - appeared at Sheffield Crown Court where he entered his plea at a preliminary hearing.
He was given bail and will be sentenced on May 12, but was told by Judge Alan Goldsack, Recorder of Sheffield: "Do not take bail as any indication that you will receive anything other than a custodial sentence."
Judge Goldsack rejected suggestions that Hamed would need his car for charity work and gave him an interim driving ban. He told the packed courtroom that, from what he heard, Hamed could easily afford the services of a chauffeur.
The case against Hamed was not outlined but an earlier hearing heard how the boxer, 32, was involved in a head-on crash while overtaking on Ringinglow Road, on the edge of Peak District, in May last year.
The smash involved two other cars, including a Volkswagen Golf driven by 38-year-old Anthony Burgin. Magistrates heard how Mr Burgin was seriously injured and had bruising to his brain.
After a previous appearance Hamed’s lawyer, Steve Smith, insisted that his client had not left a seriously injured man at the scene of the crash and run off.
"That was thoroughly investigated and that is not something he is accused of," Mr Smith said. "He did everything he could in the circumstances."
Hamed had a rapid rise as a boxer in the 1990s. He was born in Sheffield to Yemeni parents and soon made a name for himself with his confidence attitude as much as his devastating early performances. He won the world title in 1995 and was awarded an MBE in 1999.
Source: Photo by Gary Bagshawe