Hyundai will display the Genesis Coupe R-Spec at the 2009 SEMA Show
Hyundai has some big things in store for the 2009 SEMA show. Last year the Korean car company commissioned a few tuned Genesis Coupes from aftermarket notables like HKS and RMR, well this year one of the only automobile manufacturers not in the red will show off the R Spec Genesis Coupe, an enthusiast model, at the world’s largest aftermarket car show in Las Vegas. The $23,750 Genesis Coupe comes complete with everything you need to have fun behind the wheel while eliminating some of the more expensive features that you don’t.
The R Spec is powered by the familiar 2.0 Liter turbocharged four cylinder engine pumping out a total of 210 HP and is mated to a close ration 6 speed manual transmission. The tuner Coupe makes the most of Hyundai’s Track Package and includes the upgraded suspension, 19 inch rims, Brembo brake calipers and a limited slip differential to ensure that the power is laid down evenly across the rear axle and that drifts are executed with smokey perfection.
The tuner friendly R Spec Genesis Coupe does ditch a few features like Bluetooth hands free connectivity, automatic headlights, cruise control, chrome interior accents and steering wheel mounted audio controls. However at $3,000 less than the well equipped 2.0T Track Package vehicle, we are almost positive that future Genesis Coupe owners won’t mind.
Press release after the jump.
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec, the perfect blank canvas for tuners, priced at $23,750 is beginning to arrive at dealerships across the country. R-Spec takes the core performance equipment from the 2.0T Track model and eliminates non-essential convenience equipment to reduce both cost and weight. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec - the first production R-Spec model to arrive in the U.S. - will make its world debut at the Hyundai booth at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in the Las Vegas Convention Center from November 3 - 6 (Booth # 24387).
The R-Spec allows enthusiasts to tune their own car to their desired specifications. R-Spec provides genuine track-readiness and powertrain scalability in an affordable model. The R-Spec adds core Track model performance equipment to the most affordable 2.0T model, such as: Track-tuned suspension, 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with performance Summer tires, Brembo® braking system, Torsen® limited-slip differential and R-Spec badging.
In a special nod to tuners, R-Spec will also receive a set of front strut camber adjustment bolts (dealer installation - optional for customer to install) to further enhance initial turn-in and handling response. To reduce both cost and weight, the R-Spec eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as: Bluetooth®, automatic headlights, cruise control, trip computer, chrome interior accents and steering wheel audio controls. Genesis Coupe R-Spec is priced $3,000 less than the 2.0T Track model, leaving tuners with extra cash for their own choice of aftermarket performance upgrades. Appropriately, R-Spec will be available in three exteriors colors most common among international racing teams: Karussell White, Bathurst Black and Tsukuba Red. R-Spec comes with manual transmission only.
R-Spec equipment includes:
- 2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210 hp, 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph
- 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
- Electronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist
- 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
- Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
- Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
- Torsen-type limited-slip differential
- R-Spec badging
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Front, side, side curtain air bags
- Active front head restraints
- Driver’s lumbar support
- Air conditioning
- Remote keyless entry system
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors
- AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers
- iPod/USB/Aux jack connectivity
- Projector beam headlamps
- Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)
- Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec