Innovation by design III - MEV 4x4
The MEV 4 X 4 handles in a similar manner to its donor, although the excessive roll is considerably reduced due to its lightweight body. The steering feels much more responsive as the wheel base is now 300mm shorter than the donor. This enhances the ground clearance and provides a very nimble ride for a relatively large machine.
Naturally the power to weight ratio is also dramatically enhanced as half a ton is shed during transplant. The MEV 4 X 4 has very little front and rear overhang which proves very useful when entering or exiting a severe gradient. The engine is positioned near the rear and the transmission to the middle, thus ensuring minimum steering impact should the front end bounce heavily when off-roading.
TLC is not essential as the body is much more substantial than most GRP cars and is much tougher than the alloy it replaces. On the inside the floor and sides which are pre-bonded into the body do not require carpets. A stylish dash and centre console are nicely moulded to accept instruments, switches and even your drink can. Three useful storage pockets are also provided plus a huge 200 litre storage area to the front. Hop in the gull wing door and take off with the enormous power, even when the normally aspirated 3500cc V8 is opted for.
Go the whole hog and install a 5000cc V8 fuel injected unit, and you get sports car performance driving through the highly acclaimed all wheel drive system from the donor. The single donor is a classic Range Rover enabling the builder to construct a very special vehicle on an economical basis. Building the vehicle is made as simple as possible by design. The rolling chassis is completed with easy access to all components before the one piece body is lowered on. Uncomplicated wiring, no carpets to fit and considerable use of donor components from one vehicle makes the MEV 4 X 4 project relatively easy, ensuring fun is just around the corner. When completed take it on the road, off the road or off the map where the fun really starts.
The complete cost is under £7,000 including the cost of the average donor car. The kit is supplied in four stages providing the builder with what they need when they need it which assists with budgeting for the project and in the storage of components, staged delivery times are arranged to suit the builder’s pocket and build schedule.
- ENGINE REAR MOUNTED 3.5 TO 5.0 V8 PETROL OR LPG OR 200/300 TDI DIESEL
- TRANSMISSION 3 SPEED AUTO OR 5 SPEED MANUAL
- TRANSFER CASE PERMANENT 4 WHEEL DRIVE WITH CENTRE DIFF LOCK IN HIGH & LOW RATIOS
- BRAKES DISCS ALL ROUND (DRUM TYPE HANDBRAKE ON TRANSMISSION)
- DIMENSIONS 2230mm WHEELBASE 1800mm HIGH 3500mm LONG 1750mm WIDE
- FUEL TANK ALL ALLOY, APPROX 50 LITRES CAPACITY
- BODY 1 PIECE HEAVY DUTY GRP WITH BONDED IN CENTRE FLOOR TUB
- CHASSIS JIGGED & MIGGED HEAVY DUTY RECTANGULAR HOLLOW SECTION STEEL
- SUSPENSION LIVE AXLES WITH COIL OVER SHOCK ABSORBERS
- WEIGHTS & ANGLES 1340 kgs GRADIENT APPROACH, CLIMB AND CAMBER ANGLES 45-50 DEGREES
- TYRES & CLEARANCES 265/70 R16 PROVIDING 375mm GROUND CLEARANCE & 600mm WADING DEPTH
Source: MEV Ltd