Without a doubt, the 2015 Lincoln Continental Concept will be one of the most important vehicles to debut at the New York Auto Show, but the big news here is that this car is shaping up to be more than just a concept vehicle. Lincoln plans to introduce a new full-size sedan in 2016 that is heavily inspired by this stunning concept sedan, and the announcement came from Ford’s top exec.

Mark Fields, president and CEO Ford Motor Company and the man often credited with keeping the Lincoln brand alive, said "The Continental Concept showcases the promise of quiet luxury from Lincoln going forward. It also is a strong indication of what’s to come next year as we introduce our new Lincoln Continental full-size luxury sedan.

Perhaps the most promising thing about this concept is that doesn’t have an over-the-top design like the 2007 MKR Concept. Instead, it focuses more on the ultra-luxurious interior and the all-new, Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter EcoBoost V-6.

There’s no word as to when this new sedan will arrive, but based on its importance to the brand, the best bet is probably at the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Whenever it does, it will surely silence detractors who have spent the last several years questioning why Ford Motor Company has kept Lincoln in its portfolio while selling or killing off everything else.

Continue reading to learn more about the next Lincoln Continental.

Why it matters

It’s been a few years since Lincoln has had a proper rear-drive flagship sedan (the Lincoln Town Car) and even longer since Lincoln was a luxury leader in its segment, but it looks like that could all change following the introduction of the 2015 Lincoln Continental Concept. If Lincoln brings this car (or at least something very close) to fruition as it promised today, then the automaker’s future is already looking much brighter.

2016 Lincoln Continental

2015 Lincoln Continental Concept
- image 624167

Press Release

Lincoln today announced that it will unveil the Continental Concept — an all-new full-size sedan coming next year — at the New York International Auto Show on Wednesday.

"Luxury at its best is about simplifying and quietly exceeding expectations, rather than being the loudest statement on the road," said Mark Fields, Ford Motor Company president and CEO. "The Continental Concept showcases the promise of quiet luxury from Lincoln going forward. It also is a strong indication of what’s to come next year as we introduce our new Lincoln Continental full-size luxury sedan."

"The Lincoln Continental name is associated with iconic beauty and elegance," said David Woodhouse, Lincoln design director. "Capturing those qualities and building upon them drove us as we crafted this thoroughly modern sedan concept."

With today’s Lincoln announcement, the 2015 New York Auto Show is set to host the largest number of world and North American debuts in its 115-year history. Last year, 63 vehicles from the world’s automakers were unveiled.

The Auto Show runs from April 3 - 12 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan. Press Preview days are April 1 & 2.

View the full press release Hide press release
Press release
What do you think?
Show Comments
Car Finder: