Rivian Shows Off The R1T Pickup Truck’s Insane Off-Roading Prowess In A Series Of Short Clips
If these clips are an indication of what’s to come, then the R1T’s rivals are in deep troubleby Sidd Dhimaan, on
We’ve been seeing Rivian for a very long time now. The truck is covered in-depth by many websites and YouTube channels and we know what to expect from it. On paper, the specs seem pretty good, but we hadn’t seen it on the road other than spying it a couple of times during testing and commercial shoots. But, with so much happening in the truck segment in the last couple of days, the 2021 Ford F-150 and Lordstown Endurance’s launch, and Ram confirming the TRX’s arrival, Rivian decided to hop on the train too.
Rivian released a few short clips of the R1T pickup truck that show its off-roading prowess. With the Tank Turn also in its arsenal, the R1T might be the next big thing in the off-roading truck niche. How about that!
It’s Turning Out To Be The Strongest Electric Truck Of The Lot
While all the videos show a quality each that makes this truck look good, one thing in common is how well the four-wheel-drive system’s working is captured in them. It’s clearly visible in the ‘Launch’ and ‘Drift’ clips. Since the truck comes with four electric motors, the power sent to each wheel individually is enormous. I can’t wait to see how this works on the Lordstown Endurance since it features in-wheel hub motors and there is no loss of power whatsoever.
In the longest clip of them all, you can see how easily the truck maneuvers over rocks and boulders. This is courtesy of some really impressive specs:
|Approach Angle:||34.8 degrees|
|Departure Angle:||30.5 degrees|
|Breakover Angle:||25.7 degrees|
|Wading Depth:||42.7 inches|
What Do We Know About The Rivian R1T So Far?
- The R1T churns out 788 ponies that make it sprint to the 60 mph mark in three seconds flat.
- Four electric motors - one connected to each wheel - make 197 horsepower each.
- It will be offered with three battery pack options: 105 kWh, 135 kWh, and 180 kWh.
- The R1T will offer up to 400 miles of range.
- 0-60 mph achieved in 4.9 seconds with the smallest battery pack and in 3.2 seconds with the largest battery pack.
- Adjustable air suspension that can raise the R1T from 7.9 inches to 14.2 inches by the press of a button.
- Tank Turn feature
- New seat design for law enforcement officers
- 12.3-inch instrument cluster that can be customized to display as per the PD’s requirements
- A 15.6-inch touchscreen system on the dash with Amazon Alexa integration for varied uses
- Level 3 autonomy (which could become Level 5 depending on how Rivian proceeds with its new project)
It had been long since we heard anything about the Rivian R1T. These clips reminded us what a fantastic beast it is turning out to be. The truck is still a long time away from hitting the roads. The same applies to the Tesla Cybertruck and the Ford electric F-150. Lordstown Motors will be starting deliveries of the Endurance pickup truck from January 2021 and it will have the upper hand once these three big shots arrive.
If you were to pick one of the four pickup trucks – Tesla Cybertruck, Rivian R1T, Ford electric F-150, or the Lordstown Endurance – which one would it be? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.