Skoda Officially Teases Its Electric SUV Called Enyaq
It is the first EV from the Czech company to be underpinned by Volkswagen’s MEB architectureby Sidd Dhimaan, on
Skoda has officially teased the Enyaq electric SUV. Although we can’t deduce all the details since the SUV is covered in camo skin, Skoda has been generous in giving details regarding its dimensions, battery pack, and so on. The Enyaq also marks the return of a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in Skoda’s portfolio after almost three decades. Will it be a paradigm-shifting vehicle for the automaker?
It Looks Like A Traditional SUV On The Outside
The Enyaq has been spotted testing multiple times, so there’s not much of a surprise in terms of the exterior shape and size. It’s good to get the actual dimension numbers, though. The Enyaq draws inspiration from the Skoda Vision iV concept. The latter had an SUV-Coupe like body style, but the Enyaq will be a traditional SUV. It is quite similar to the Volkswagen ID.4 in terms of design and technical specs.
Up front, it carries the sharp, aggressive headlight + foglamp design combo which is unmistakably Skoda. The grille is covered in the teaser images, but spy shots earlier show a closed grille with signature vertical slats. The dual five-spoke wheels look sweet and are finished in a dull silver-grey-ish color, but it has been spotted with black wheels as well.
What They Had To Say
This is what Skoda Auto’s CEO, Bernhard Maier, said:
“The Enyaq iV marks the beginning of a new era for Skoda, it is the figurehead of our E-Mobility campaign. With it, we’re making E-Mobility Simply Clever thanks to long ranges and short charging times. At the same time, the Enyaq iV takes Skoda-typical virtues such as superior interior space, trendsetting design, and maximum functionality to a new level. Our first all-electric e-model based on Volkswagen Group’s modular electric car platform will be built at our main plant in Mladá Boleslav, at the heart of Skoda. This is an important step towards securing the future of the location and safeguarding jobs in the region.”
What We Know About The Skoda Enyaq So Far
- Built on Volkswagen’s MEB architecture.
- Measures 183 inches in length, 73.9 inches in width, and 63.7 inches in height
- Wheelbase measures 108.9 inches.
- Cargo area measures 20.6 cubic-feet with all seats in place
- Offered with three different battery packs in three different trims, all RWD
- An all-wheel-drive version will also be offered in different two states of tunes
- The base trim will come with a single motor setup placed on the rear axle that makes 146 horses
- 55-kWh battery with 211 miles of range.
- The mid trim, too, is a single-motor setup that will generate 177 horses.
- It will come packed with a 62-kWh battery pack with 242 miles of range
- The top trim comes with a 201-hp rear-mounted motor
- Powered by an 82-kWh battery that will last for 311 miles
- All-wheel-drive version to feature a dual-motor setup, one on each axle
- It will make 261 horses and 302 horses.
- It will come with the largest battery pack (not confirmed, though) and will offer a range of 286 miles
- The powerful 302-hp version will most likely be slapped with the RS badge
- 0-62 mph from a standstill in 6.2 seconds, top speed limited to 112 mph
- The Enyaq can be charged via a conventional household socket with an AC output of 2.3 kW or by using a wall box that delivers up to 11 kW
- It is still being developed to support fast-charging, once ready, it can charge from 10-percent to 80-percent in 40 minutes with an output of 125 kW
- 13-inch touchscreen in the cabin, plus an optional head-up display with augmented reality.
- Olive leather trim inside
The Skoda Enyaq will go on sale from early 2021. The company hasn’t revealed the prices yet, but you can expect it to start around $40,000. It will be built in Mladá Boleslav, Czech Republic, from late 2020. Initially, the automaker will also offer a ‘Founder’s Edition’ with slightly different aesthetics and generous equipment to commemorate the brand’s 125th anniversary. It will be a limited-edition model with only 1,895 examples for sale.