US market gets the honor of having the Mini Cooper World Championship 50
Calling all collectors! If you haven’t put in your order for the rare Mini WC50, then you better get a move on. The World Championship 50 is slated to arrive in the US in April, but will only total 50 units which is better than the zero units allotted for the States originally. This vehicle was initially capped at 250 units to be sold in the European market. Now that number has doubled and interest from U.S. MINI dealers have sparked the company to allow for 50 units to come our way.
The WC50 was created to celebrate the birth of the Mini brand and John Cooper’s Formula 1 title. Fittingly, the WC501 uses the Mini Cooper John Cooper Works edition as its base model keeping the turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine which produces 211hp and 192ft.-lb. of torque. The WC50 includes a unique Connaught green paint job with one-off trim inside and out and a variety of standard equipment. Special edition content includes a plethora of John Cooper Works carbon fibre parts, 17″ cross-spoke challenge alloy wheels in jet black, leather gearshift and handbrake gaiters in carbon black with red stitching, and bonnet stripes in pepper white without pin-stripes with John Cooper’s autograph on the driver’s side.
Hit the jump for the full story plus a fulll list of standard and special edition equipment.
Original pricing on this rare automobile was around $50K. MINI USA will be pricing them at $39,600 plus destination fees, etc. which means out the door the consumer will be spending $40,300. Big price to pay for such a small car, you say? We think so too, but the fact that MINI will only send 50 vehicles over to our side will make this car a must have for collectors. Plus, designing a Mini with this many options will leave the consumer spending much more than the purchase price.
If you think the price is still too hefty, no worries. I am sure there will be at least 50 people that will disagree. After all, people will definitely pay the price for a degree of exclusivity.
- Anthracite Headlining
- Automatic Air Conditioning
- Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection
- Chrome Line Interior
- Color Line, Rooster Red
- Comfort Access
- Front Fog Lamps
- Full Bluetooth Preparation with USB Audio
- Harman Kardon Hi-Fi System
- Heated Front Seats
- Multi-function Controls for Steering Wheel
- Navigation System
- Park Distance Control (PDC), rear
- Voice Control
- White Indicators
Special Edition Content:
- 17″ Cross-Spoke Challenge Alloy Wheels in Jet Black
- Additional Driving Lights, Black
- Bi-Xenon Lights with Black Interior Reflectors
- Bonnet Stripes in Pepper White without Pin-Stripes, with John Cooper Signature on – - Driver’s Side
- John Cooper Works 3-Spoke Sport Alcantara/Leather Steering Wheel
- John Cooper Works Aerodynamic Kit
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Bonnet Scoop
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Front Door Grips
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Interior Trim with John Cooper Signature Plaque
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Tailgate Handle
- John Cooper Works Floor Mats, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Leather Gearshift Gaiter, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Leather Handbrake Gaiter, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Side Scuttle Finisher Chrome Frame with Edition Number (0-250)