The “i" logo will be indicating the most exclusive Individual models.
A new logo: The most exclusive cars of Volkswagen Individual GmbH can now be recognized by its own logo: the “i” for the “Individual” product brand.
It is worked into an emblem whose form bears a resemblance to the VW emblem of the 50s. The product brand logo reflects what the competence center for striking, low volume productions and innovative niche products of Europe’s largest car producer started in 2003 when establishing Volkswagen Individual GmbH - the project of attainable dreams. Volkswagen Individual GmbH designs these dreams in three different business areas:
- “Individual” product brand business area: Through the Individual product brand VW can offer a spectrum of possibilities unmatched by other high volume producers. It ranges from design oriented exclusive optional equipment to totally individualized exclusives. So far the options for individualization are offered for the Golf, Golf Plus, Jetta, Touran, Eos, Sharan, Passat, Passat Variant, Touareg and Phaeton.
- Logo for two car categories: Starting at a certain level of upgrade these Individual models are adorned with the new “i“ logo. It can be found in three different places on the car: on the outside the chrome emblem will be placed on the sides of the front fenders. In the interior the Wolfsburg upgrade specialists have embossed this letter into the leather of the front headrests. Additionally, the logo can be found in combination with the spelled out “Individual” in the door entry area. The logo is used for two car categories. First: for ready-built models such as the Golf Individual or Touareg Individual. Second: for series production cars that are upgraded by at least one Individual seat system.
- Graphics joins tradition and modern times: Graphically, the new logo of the “Individual” product brand brings together three aspects. The first aspect is self-explanatory: the stylized letter “i" makes a typographical reference to the company and to its principal task: individualization. The second aspect is obvious to everyone the moment they set eyes on the side “face” of the Golf: the logo abstractly adorns the graphic design of the front section with its headlights and radiator grill. The third comes full circle to history. The shape of the emblem pays tribute to the brand history of Volkswagen: already the bow hood of the legendary Beetle was adorned by the coat of arms of the city of Wolfsburg (starting 1951), later on being replaced by the round VW symbol.
- “R” product brand business area: Extremely sporty Volkswagens such as the latest Golf R32, or the new Passat R36 coming out in 2007 will be released under the “R” product brand.
- “Product Impulses” business area: In the “Product Impulses” business area Volkswagen sets the course and creates series models such as the new CrossGolf and the CrossPolo, or special series in the style of the recently debuted Polo GTI Cup Edition and Golf GTI Edition 30 models.
- Special-purpose cars: Furthermore, Volkswagen Individual GmbH also develops special-purpose vehicles for the police and other official uses and alternative drive systems in the style of the natural-gas driven Touran EcoFuel.