Everything You Need to Know About Subaru’s CPO Warranty
Here’s everything you need to know about Subaru’s Certified-Pre-Owned Warrantyby Bhavik Sreenath, on LISTEN 09:55
Subaru is yet another Japanese brand known for Japanese ingenuity and inducibility. Their success in World Rally and amongst the American market is proof that the Japs know how to get things done.
Subaru’s Certified Pre-Owned program reflects the brand’s ability to understand the American demographic. There CPO program is accompanied by a generous warranty, reassuring the buyers of the quality of the pre-owned vehicles that’s got Subaru’s stamp of approval. In spite of all these advantages, there are a few things you should know, so in this article, we shall discuss the perks, advantages as well as shortcomings of a Subaru CPO warranty. We shall also look into some of the best third-party extended warranty plans to ensure continued coverage long after the factory warranty runs out.
What Is A Certified Pre-Owned Subaru?
In order for a used Subaru to gain a CPO status, it must pass a series of stringent quality checks. For starters, a Certifed Pre-owned Subaru must be a vehicle traded into the dealership. The trade-in vehicle must be less than 5 model years old or have fewer than 80,000 miles on the clock.
After these criteria are met, then the vehicle is subjected to a 152-point safety inspection wherein the vehicle is put through its paces by officials in a comprehensive road test. The parts that do not meet the quality standards must be repaired or replaced. After that, the vehicle receives the CPO status and the CPO warranty which will take care of the most crucial repairs during the warranty period.
Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
Subaru’s CPO warranty, though fairly comprehensive, just can’t rival the band’s factory warranty that’s provided with all new Subaru’s. The brand’s CPO warranty only covers key powertrain components such as the engine and transmission for 7-years and 100,000 miles whichever comes first. This coverage is not on power with some of the other plans offered by its rivals who do provide an ear or two bumper-to-bumper warranty with their CPO vehicles.
Subaru’s CPO warranty is transferrable however they do charge a $35 fee for the transfer but the plan does offer some noteworthy perks which include:
- $0 deductibles
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- $500 loyalty coupon
- Carfax Vehicle History Report
- One-year trial subscription to Starlink in-vehicle multimedia services
- Three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM®
Extending Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
Subaru sticks with the industry norms and extends the remainder of the 3-year/36,000-mile coverage to the next owner. These vehicles are also eligible for Subaru’s Added Security extended service agreement, which offers additional coverage for up to 10-years and 100,000 miles. These plans are a great way to ensure coverage after the CPO warranty expires and come with additional benefits including towing and rental benefits.
Drivers can choose between two plans and a $0 or $100 deductible. The two plan options are:
- Classic: A powertrain warranty that covers major parts including the engine, all-wheel drive, and transmission
- Gold Plus: A more comprehensive policy that covers everything in the Classic plan, plus the air conditioning, electrical, steering, front suspension, brakes, and more
Another option for extending coverage for Subaru certified pre-owned vehicles is to purchase an extended warranty from a third-party provider. Third-party warranties are great alternatives when you are on the lookout for a more flexible and cheaper alternative to a factory extended warranty. The flexibility of not having to purchase an extended warranty before the factory warranty ends makes it very convenient for most owners.
Top Recommendations For Subaru CPO Warranty Coverage
For CPO Subaru owners looking for extended protection that goes beyond the 7-year powertrain warranty that accompanies all CPO models, you might not be eligible for Subaru’s factory extended warranty program. Even long-term Subaru owners who have vehicles out of factory warranty might be on the lookout for extended coverage and for all these cases, we recommend shopping for third-party extended warranties. Here are some of our top recommendations:
Endurance is our pick of the lot in the extended warranty business and has established itself for its class-leading customer service and coverage options. They offer coverage for cars up to 20 years old and 200,000+ miles which makes it ideal for used car owners. They offer hassle-free inspection after which the claim can be filed, making the entire process foolproof and they aim to ensure that you don’t miss minor details which might cause you trouble in the future.
They also offer membership benefits called Endurance Elite which is bundled in for the first year, free of charge, and offers services like:
- Tire repair or replacement
- Key fob repair or replacement
- Collision discount
- Total loss protection
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Supreme: Bumper-to-bumper exclusionary warranty that covers most components of your car
- Superior: Stated-component coverage for hundreds of parts
- Secure Plus: Enhanced powertrain plan that covers steering, electrical, and braking systems
- Secure: Most affordable plan focused on protecting essential components
- Select Premier: Protection for high-mileage vehicles
- EnduranceAdvantage™: Covers mechanical breakdowns as well as maintenance such as oil changes and engine diagnostics.
Protect My Car:
Protect My Car is one of the top consumer-rated warranty providers with over sixteen years of experience in the business backed by high BBB. They offer combo plans that include maintenance packages along with the added warranty and even go the extra mile by offering services like Oil changes and tire rotation for added convenience. Coverage for older vehicles and long-term payment options are other highlights that make Protect My Car one of our top picks.
Protect My Car offers three extended warranty options with coverage options for vehicles with up to 125,000 miles on the odometer. Owners of used cars beyond 125,000 miles should look into the company’s Ambassador Maintenance Plans for discounts on routine maintenance and repairs.
- Supreme: Coverage for most vehicle systems
- Select: Coverage for major vehicle systems and a good choice for vehicles with over 50,000 miles
- Driveline: Enhanced powertrain coverage for essential systems
With a 4.1 out of 5 rating on google, CarShield is a highly reputed extended warranty provider, they have built a reputation for having some of the best agents in the business, who ensure hassle-free settlement. These plans are also some of the cheapest in the business. They are also the only warranty provider to offer coverage for motorcycles and ATVs, and even offer a specialized plan specifically for high-tech vehicles.
They cover used vehicles with up to 300,000 miles and offer added benefits like 24/7 roadside assistance, flexible payment options, and the ability to choose a garage of your choice, they have built a reputation for their excellent customer service which makes them one of our top picks.
- Diamond: Bumper-to-bumper warranty offering comprehensive coverage
- Platinum: Stated-component plan that covers the engine, transmission, electrical system, air conditioning, and more
- Gold: Mid-level plan covering a variety of essential systems
- Silver: Basic powertrain coverage for your engine, transmission, and drivetrain
- Aluminum: Coverage for high-tech electronics
Autopom is another warranty provider known for its exceptional customer service as evidenced by there an A+ rating from the BBB. They offer extended warranty packages for cars up to 10 years old/140k miles. With convenient claim filing processes and a 30-day money back guarantee, they go the extra mile in customer satisfaction by allowing you to choose the workshop of your choice.
- Exclusionary: Covers the most mechanical and electrical components for your vehicle.
- High-Level: Named-component plan with coverage for the engine, transmission, steering, fuel system, and more
- Mid-Level: Coverage for the most important systems of your vehicle
- Powertrain Plus: Enhanced powertrain coverage for the engine and more
Olive is one of the newest players in the business, apart from extended warranty plans, it also offers mechanical breakdown insurance in California. Their innovative business model is all digital which allows their customers to buy and manage their warranty via their website making it extremely convenient. Olive offers three levels of coverage. Contracts are only available for three-year periods but cover vehicles with up to 185,000 miles.
It has also secured some of the best consumer ratings with a Google review score of 4.6 out of 5.0. The brand has also been awarded an A+ rating from BBB, courtesy of its top-notch service and a wide range of plans that deliver timely resolution of claims. All their plans come with added benefits like towing facilities and rental car reimbursement.
- Complete Care: A bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers most vehicle components minus a shortlist of exclusions
- Powertrain Plus: Covers powertrain components and a few other critical systems such as steering, suspension, air conditioning, and electrical parts
- Powertrain: Basic powertrain coverage for the engine, transmission, drive axle, and fuel system