2007 GMC Sierra
GMC’s more than 100-year heritage of building professional grade vehicles marks a new era with the introduction of the 2007 Sierra lineup. The trucks are all-new and elevate industry standards with segment-best V-8 power and fuel efficiency, along with agile ride and handling and the quietest interior of any full-size truck.
2007 GMC Sierra
Horsepower @ RPM:315@5200
Torque @ RPM:338@4400
The ’07 Sierra models deliver the light-duty segment’s highest-rated towing capacity (10,500 pounds/4,763 kg) and offer a maximum payload capacity of 2,160 pounds (980 kg).
Depth and breadth of lineup:
- GMC Sierra light-duty pickup
- GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickup
- Three cab styles: regular, extended and crew cab
- Three box lengths – short (5 foot 8 inches), standard (6 foot 6 inches) and long (8 foot)
- Eight diverse and efficient powertrain combinations
- Five distinct suspension packages, including one for maximum trailering capability
- Four Sierra trim levels
- Light-duty payload capacities from 1,564 pounds (709 kg) to 2,160 pounds (980 kg)
- Light-duty trailering capability from 4,300 pounds (1,948 kg) to segment-leading 10,500 pounds (4,763 kg)
- Light-duty models arrive in fourth quarter of 2006; heavy-duty models in first quarter of 2007
Distinctive exterior designs:
- All-new exterior designs with strong, confident appearance
- Brand-differentiated designs with unique front-end appearances including unique hoods, front fenders, grilles and headlamps, and differentiated taillamps and pickup box designs
- Refined appearance with tighter tolerances and reduced body gaps including 50-percent tighter gap between cab and box
- Sleeker, more aerodynamic 57-degree windshield angle
- Wider and lower stance
- New 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models
- Improved body-to-wheel proportions
- Family of larger 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels
Spacious and refined interiors:
- Two all-new, distinct and spacious interior designs with superior craftsmanship
- Pure pickup interior with unique instrument panel, seats, door panels, consoles, double glove boxes, trim and features on Sierra WT, SLE models
- Luxury-inspired interior with unique instrument panel, seats, console, glove box, door panels, trim and features on Sierra SLT models
- Use of premium materials with lower gloss levels
- Flush fits and close-outs that conceal seat hardware
- Instrument panels positioned down and forward for increased visibility and spaciousness
- Increased storage capacity in center consoles and glove boxes
- Innovative underseat storage on pure pickup interior
- Quiet interior achieved with extensive use of noise-reducing materials, spray-on damping, foam and seals
Exceptional driving experience:
- Segment-leading V-8 horsepower and fuel economy
- Technically advanced Gen IV small-block Vortec V-8 family, including E85 capability, fuel-saving Active Fuel Management and variable valve timing
- Wider front and rear tracks (3 inches front / 1 inch rear)
- All-new, stronger and stiffer fully-boxed frames with hydroformed front section
- New coil-over-shock front suspension
- New rack-and-pinion steering system
- New splayed rear shock arrangement
- Improved brake system with new generation Bosch ABS system
- Five uniquely tuned suspension packages, including enhanced trailering package
Comprehensive safety and security:
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with new rollover mitigation technology on crew cab models (available on extended cab models)
- 360-degree perimeter of safety protection, including industry-exclusive rear impact sensors
- Dual-stage frontal air bags with passenger sensing system
- Roof-mounted head curtain side air bags
- Strengthened chassis and body structure for superior crashworthiness
- Frame designed for compatibility with smaller vehicles
- Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist
- Standard OnStar
Unique features and options:
- 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models with fully retractable rear power windows
- Power sliding rear window (extended and crew cabs)
- Theater-style folding rear seats for ease of loading cargo
- Automatic locking rear axle
- Innovative cargo management system with comprehensive array of accessories
- Remote vehicle starting system
- Enhanced DVD entertainment system with larger screen
- New CD/MP3 radio family
- Touch-screen navigation system
- Heated windshield washer fluid
- Rain-sensing automatic windshield wipers
General Motors introduces its all-new, 2007 GMC Sierra – comprehensively redesigned pickup that incorporate new exterior and interior design, and powertrain, chassis and safety systems. The vehicle take GM’s truck legacy to a new level. Sierra leads the segment in performance, efficiency, capability, refinement and safety. The new truck offers more power and better fuel economy than the vehicle that replaced.
GMC Sierra is offered with three cab styles, three cargo box lengths and several specially tuned suspensions. All have distinct identities, including brand-exclusive sheet metal and design cues yet share fundamental traits that support segment-leading capability, quality and performance.
The broad range of configurations and models gives customers tremendous choice when selecting a vehicle to suit their needs, particularly with the heavy-duty models, which some competitors simply do not offer. Capability also is unmatched, with a strengthened chassis and enhanced towing package enabling the light-duty segment’s best towing capacity of 10,500 pounds (4,763 kg).
GMC Sierra light-duty models will arrive in the fourth quarter of 2006. Sierra heavy-duty models are available in the first quarter of 2007. The heavy-duty trucks offer new sleek designs and spacious interior features like light-duty models, but with increased capability – including more powerful gas and diesel engines.
Bold and distinctive exterior designs
Sierra is sleeker and more aerodynamic, including a faster, 57-degree windshield angle, reducing wind noise and improving fuel economy. Wider, segment-leading front and rear tracks and a tailored wheel-to-body relationship provide a stance that is both muscular and agile. The truck is more refined looking, too, with doors that extend over the rockers for a smooth, uninterrupted look, and lamps that have a jeweled appearance. Tolerances between panels are greatly reduced – including a 50-percent reduction in the space between the cab and cargo box.
Complementing the trucks’ three cab designs – regular, extended and crew cab – are three cargo box lengths, including short (5 foot 8 inches), standard (6 foot 6 inches) and long (8 foot). New features, such as 170-degree-opening rear access doors with fully retractable power windows on extended cab models and new theater-style folding rear seats, offer increased versatility. Additional design features include improved lighting, a stronger cargo box with more cargo capacity and reduced-effort tailgates.
GMC Sierra models are designed with a strong and refined appearance befitting the brand’s professional grade philosophy, including muscular character lines and rounded edges. Sierra’s front-end appearance, hood, bumpers, lamps and rear box design are unique to the GMC brand.
The new truck uses a single-piece body side stamping and bolt-on door hinges, which foster significantly increased fit and finish. Build precision is seen in the flush, virtually seamless transition between the hood and front fenders, along with very tight tolerances around the grille, fenders and front bumper. The hood-to-fender gap is targeted at 4 mm. The grille-to-bumper gap has been reduced to 17 mm and the headlamp-to-fender gap to 1.5 mm. The tighter tolerances contribute to the trucks’ improved aerodynamics.
The pickup boxes have been redesigned with enhanced versatility, increased strength and greater capacity. A one-piece wheelhouse and inner box side adds strength and smoother, more integrated appearance. The boxes are 1.18 inches (30 mm) deeper in the front and 1.57 inches (40 mm) deeper at the rear, with stronger inner walls that offer improved performance when fitted with ladder racks, tool boxes and other accessories.
New tailgate designs include locks and torque-rod assist for easier operation. A standard end cap on each tailgate features an integrated spoiler lip that enhances aerodynamics.
A new, innovative cargo management system is available on all Sierra models and is complemented by a range of dealer-ordered accessory packages. Three rails that run the length of the box sides and the forward box wall are secured with high-strength anchors and, unlike competitors’ systems, incorporate upper and lower tracks. Four adjustable tie-down brackets are included with each system and can be located anywhere on the tracks, each rated for a load point of 500 pounds (227 kg).
Segment-leading interior designs with superior craftsmanship
The all-new GMC Sierra is quieter, more spacious and refined inside, with increased passenger comfort and storage space. Sierra features a new and distinct interior design that reflects its respective brand identity, including specific trim, appointments and gauge cluster appearance.
Sierra base and midlevel trim models include a functional “pure pickup” interior design theme with a contemporary adaptation of GM’s ergonomic cockpit instrument panel design. In addition, this interior includes specific door panels with large door pull and release handles, new seat construction and configurations, unique center console and underseat storage systems, and two glove boxes (a traditional lower glove box and a covered upper storage compartment).
New luxury-inspired premium interior is standard on Sierra SLT. Features on the premium interior include power-adjustable heated bucket seats, leather surface seats, leather-covered steering wheel and selective chrome trim.
Spaciousness in each interior trim level is enhanced with new, “low and forward” instrument panels that provide a more airy feel to the cabin as well as a panoramic field of vision. The instrument panels are mounted approximately 3.5 inches (90 mm) down and forward on the “pure pickup” interiors, while the premium interior instrument panel is located 5 inches (127 mm) down and forward. Both instrument panel designs are integrated into their specific door panels to create a swept appearance. The spacious interior and enhanced field of vision create an environment that enables better outward vision.
All interiors are refined and craftsmanship is highlighted by flush surfaces, tight gaps and tolerances on the instrument panel, center stack, clusters and other components. Most gaps on the instrument panels and clusters have been narrowed to 0.5 mm or less. Attention to detail was given to concealing fasteners and metal structural components of all seats. There is no exposed hardware in the interior or door sills. New, soft-touch and low-gloss finishes for the instrument panels and other trim pieces are used throughout. The color and grain of the materials were carefully selected to provide a premium look. Sculpted headliners of new woven fabric and door trim, as well as sculpted seat backs, enhance the perception of precision in the new interiors.
Complementing the interiors’ finely crafted look and feel is segment-leading quietness. All trim levels – even base work truck models – benefit from a comprehensive system that delivers a passenger environment almost devoid of noise. This is achieved with the use of strategically placed sound deadening and sound absorbing material in the body structure – including liquid-applied dampener on the floor and front-of-dash – as well as the inherent, vibration-minimizing traits of the stiffer frame and quieter attributes of the aerodynamically tuned exterior. Vibration-reducing powertain and suspension mounts (hydraulic engine mounts on vehicles with Active Fuel Management) are enabled by the firmer body and chassis structures, while the sleeker, 57-degree windshield and tuned exterior mirrors all but eliminate wind noise. Also, improved door sealing and a doors-over-rockers design help eliminate road and wind noise.
Additional highlights of GMC Sierra interior includes:
- A new, stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40-split design and folding center arm rest can be easily folded up to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Or, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger.
- A “double” glove box, which includes a large-capacity, traditional glove box and a new, covered storage compartment above it, with a 3.4-liter storage capacity.
- Models equipped with the luxury-inspired premium interior come with a single large glove box that offers approximately 25 percent more storage capacity.
- The premium interiors include large center consoles with the segment’s largest storage capacity: 20.1 liters of undivided volume.
- The “pure pickup” interiors feature a 6.1-liter storage console and a new underseat storage bin built into a new 40/20/40-split bench seat. This 9.1-liter lockable storage bin, which includes an accessory power outlet, is located under the center seat cushion and is large enough to store a laptop computer.
- The gauges have an analog display, with large, easy-to-read graphics. They are lit with ice-blue LED lighting, which provides crisp, bright illumination and a more upscale look. A driver information center is incorporated on the instrument panel.
- A manual-control climate control system is standard on all models, with a dual-zone automatic system available. The dual-zone system allows for up to a 30-degree F difference in temperature settings between the driver and front passengers.
- Power-operated rear side glass is featured on extended cab models. The windows lower completely into the rear access doors.
- Power-operated back glass is available on extended and crew cab models. The window operates with the touch of a button located on the overhead console.
- A large, power-operated sunroof is available on extended and crew cab models. The crew cab sunroof has a tilt/slide design, with a sliding sun shade and express open/close feature. The extended cab sunroof uses a spoiler-type sunroof design that slides back over the roof surface.
- Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist provides audible warnings of objects behind the vehicle.
- A heated windshield washer fluid system more effectively removes bug spatter and thin layers of ice and frost. When the system is activated, washer fluid is heated to 150 degrees F (60 C) or more.
- A rain-sensing windshield wiper system uses an infrared sensor to automatically turn on the wipers when precipitation is detected.
- A diverse range of radio systems, including single-CD, six-disc, MP3- and DVD-capable systems, are available. Several radios feature RDS technology, which provides enhanced information for participating FM stations.
- XM Satellite Radio is available.
- A rear seat entertainment system isavailable on crew cab models; it combines a dual-play radio system, rear-seat audio controls and a larger, 8-inch flip-down screen.
- Two touch-screen DVD-based navigation radio systems are offered; one is specific for systems equipped with the rear-seat entertainment system.
- A new generation OnStar feature that provides turn-by-turn navigation commands is automatically downloaded into the driver information center.
Exceptional driving experience and segment-leading capability
The fourth generation of the legendary small-block V-8 engine family is the power behind GM’s all-new full-size trucks, delivering segment-leading horsepower and fuel economy through advanced technology such as Active Fuel Management (AFM) and variable valve timing (VVT). A FlexFuel engine is available – and partnered with fuel-saving AFM – giving customers the choice of powering their truck with E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels.
GM’s fuel-saving Active Fuel Management bolsters the trucks’ capability with the segment’s best fuel economy. Highway fuel economy for models equipped with the 5.3L AFM V-8 now are estimated at more than 20 mpg for both 2WD and 4WD models.
Engine offerings include:
- 4.3L V-6 (LU3), rated at 195 hp (145 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm).
- 4.8L V-8 (LY2), with iron block; rated at 295 hp (220 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (414 Nm).
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LMG), E85-capable with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm).
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LC9), E85-capable with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm).
- 5.3L V-8 (LH6), with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm).
- 5.3L V-8 (LY5), with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm).
- 6.0L V-8 (L76), with aluminum block, variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management, rated at 367 hp (274 kW) and 375 lb.-ft. of torque (508 Nm).
- 6.2L V-8 (L92), with aluminum block and variable valve timing, rated at 400 hp (298 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm)
The engines are backed by proven Hydra-Matic electronically controlled automatic transmissions, including the proven 4L60 four-speed automatic and high-capacity 4L70 four-speed automatic.
Channeling the engines’ power into usable capability and a refined, responsive drive experience are comprehensively redesigned chassis and suspension systems. The chassis and suspension systems deliver a smooth and precise feeling of control, particularly when driving on rough surfaces or with a full load.
An all-new chassis, with wider front and rear tracks and new coil-over-shock front suspension design, is supported by tailored suspension packages that provide smooth, sure-footed ride and handling characteristics in all driving conditions. Features include:
- A new, fully boxed frame that is significantly stronger and stiffer – 234 percent increased torsional stiffness and 62 percent increased vertical bending stiffness – with a hydroformed front section, enhancing both the smooth ride characteristics and crash protection.
- Wider front and rear tracks – approximately 3 inches wider (76.2 mm) in front and 1 inch wider (25.4 mm) in rear – enable increased stability, as well as a smoother, more controlled ride, particularly when cornering or with a full load.
- A new coil-over-shock front suspension is mounted to the frame via a high-strength, precise attachment system for exceptional rigidity and delivers a linear, responsive ride that enhances the trucks’ fully planted driving feel.
- New rack-and-pinion steering system delivers precise, responsive steering with enhanced on-center feel; it is mounted on the front frame section’s engine cross member, the strength of which virtually eliminates slack or vibration in the steering system to enhance its crisp response.
- A Hotchkiss-type rear suspension with splayed shock absorbers – angled outward and upright – provides more controlled damping and is a key contributor in the trucks’ firmly-planted driving feel; it also enables increased payload and segment-leading towing capacities.
- Exclusive Eaton automatic locking rear axle enhances sure-footed driving feel and instantly provides extra traction when needed.
- Large-capacity brake system with robust apply system and standard next-generation Bosch ABS system provide shorter stopping distances, better pedal feel and quicker brake response
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on crew cab models (available on extended cab) – a first for the segment – and incorporates rollover mitigation technology; it works with the ABS brake system to provide greater driver control in all driving conditions
- Range of 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels with tailored body-to-wheel relationship.
The 2007 Sierra is available with five suspension systems, each tuned to provide an optimized ride with smoothness, a greater feeling of isolation from the road and minimal body movement; all suspensions feature monotube front shocks. The suspensions include:
- Z83 – solid, smooth ride
- Z85 – enhanced handling and trailer towing
- Z71 – enhanced off road capability
- Z60 – maximum street performance (offered with 20-inch wheels)
- NHT – maximum capacity trailering package
In a first for the segment, GM’s sophisticated StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models. Partnered with the new brake system and four-channel electronic brake controls, the system provides more precise, controlled ABS stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability.
Sierra is built on new, stronger fully boxed frames that are designed to provide increased crush protection during a crash. High-strength steel reinforcements are strategically located on the frame to enhance crashworthiness. It also features new compatibility brackets that ensure better interaction with lower-riding vehicles during a crash.
Driver control is bolstered through enhanced dynamics, such as wider front and rear tracks, as well as more responsive suspensions – including a new coil-over-shock front suspension design and rack-and-pinion steering – that deliver smoother, linear and more precise characteristics for a more confident, sure-footed driving performance.
Additional safety features include:
- New, roof-mounted head curtain side air bags inflate to restrain outboard passengers in both seating rows, offering protection during side-impact and rollover events; they are sized specifically to all three cab styles and each has its own dedicated inflator for optimized fill rates into each curtain. The air bags are integrated into the chassis and body structures for enhanced passenger protection.
- Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM’s passenger sensing system are standard on all models.
- Segment-first front safety belt pretensioners with both front and rear crash sensors.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models – and is a first for the segment. Partnered with the new brake system and four-channel, four-sensor electronic brake controls, the system provides more precise, controlled ABS stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability.
- A high capacity brake system with a new, four-channel ABS system provides superior stopping capability. ABS is standard on all models and is linked to the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system to help mitigate the occurrence of rollover events.
- Four-wheel drive models feature the Autotrac active transfer case, which helps keep the vehicle sure-footed in slippery driving conditions. When shifted to the “Auto” mode, Autotrac engages all-wheel drive traction automatically.
- An exclusive Eaton automatic locking rear axle also helps provide additional traction when needed, particularly when towing.
- A new Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist system is available and provides visual (LED lights) and audible warnings of objects behind the vehicle.
- A revised and easier-to-use tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models. It alerts the driver via a signal on the instrument panel driver information center if a tire’s inflation status requires attention.
- A segment-exclusive factory-installed remote vehicle starting system is available on most models – a first for GM’s full-size trucks – providing customers with the convenience of starting the vehicle during inclement weather or other situations.
- Power-adjustable pedals complement increased front seat fore/aft travel to enable smaller-stature drivers to find an optimized driving position.
All retail models come standard with the OnStar Generation 7 system, including a one-year subscription to the Safe & Sound plan. The OnStar service includes the General Motors Advanced Automatic Crash Notification (AACN) system, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. If the vehicle is in a crash that activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar advisor, who will check on the occupants or summon emergency help if necessary. OnStar also can assist authorities in locating a vehicle if it is reported stolen and provides remote door-unlocking service (when the vehicle is equipped with power locks).