2007 Infiniti G35
Infiniti unveiled the all-new 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan at the 2006 New York International Auto Show. The second generation of Infiniti’s top-selling vehicle was introduced by Mr. Carlos Ghosn, president and CEO, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., at a media event in Javits Center.
2007 Infiniti G35
Horsepower @ RPM:300@0
The all-new Infiniti G35 sedan, which went on sale in November 2006, is designed to create a powerful driving sensation – from its rewarding performance and sophisticated exterior, to its finely crafted interior and intuitive technology.
As the second generation of Infiniti’s groundbreaking sport sedan, the creators of the new G35 knew it would have to meet high expectations – both their own, which they set as developing a true performance partnership between car and driver; and those of Infiniti owners who have embraced the original G35 and seek a continuation of its unique combination of vibrant design, exhilarating performance and advanced technology.
“This new 2007 Infiniti G35 takes up where the original began - with a clear, unique vision,” said Mr. Ghosn. “It breaks new ground in luxury, styling, performance, quality and craftsmanship.”
The G’s new exterior continues the previous model’s vibrant design theme with clean, athletic styling. Key design elements include sculpted grille blades, iconic headlights and taillights and crisp character lines.
Inside, the all-new interior design is refined, inviting and offers a new level of modern warmth and hospitality. The G interior also offers unique features such as the white-and-violet Fine Vision gauge illumination and high-touch, textured aluminum-alloy trim with “Washi” (traditional Japanese handmade paper) patterning.
Available advanced technologies include RearView Monitor, a touch screen navigation system with available real-time traffic and the audiophile-quality Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose®, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with an audiophile quality head unit incorporating a 24-bit Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converter.
The heart of the G35 remains its advanced engine, platform and drivetrain, anchored by the “next generation” of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter DOHC V6, now rated at an estimated 300-plus horsepower*. The standard V6 is mated to a choice of a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode and Downshift Rev Matching or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. Solid magnesium paddle shifters are standard on the G35 Sport A/T model.
The G’s second generation FM (Front Mid-ship) platform features a 4-wheel independent suspension with lightweight aluminum components and improved body stiffness. The 2007 G35 is also offered with Infiniti “intelligent” all-wheel drive system.
Comfort and convenience features include standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, available Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), wood trim and Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking.
"Having set our own standard in sport sedans with the first generation G35, we’ve totally pushed the envelope – and the segment forward again – with this new generation," said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti.
"With its enticing performance, stunning exterior and crafted interior and the incredible available Studio on Wheels audio system, this new G goes beyond the machine-like sameness of conventional sport sedans, rewarding the driver in every dimension."
Building On A Strong Foundation
As the volume leader for Infiniti, representing nearly one in every three Infinitis sold in the United States, the G35 Sedan has been the first exposure many buyers have to Infiniti. The original G35 Sedan was introduced in March 2002 as a 2003 model, followed eight months later by the G35 Coupe. The G Sedan and Coupe shared the 2003 Motor Trend Car of the Year award and signaled the direction for Infiniti models that followed, including the Infiniti FX, Infiniti QX and Infiniti M.
"Infiniti’s unique mixture of vibrant design and dynamic performance really came together with the original G and opened the door to Infiniti for many buyers," said Igo. "Now we’re ready to add greater levels of warmth, sophistication and craftsmanship to meet evolving customer desires, while also upping the ante on its powerful driving sensation."
Driving the development of the new G35’s concept were the lessons learned from a careful study of sport sedan buyers, including owners of the original G35. A series of home visits, where a complete picture of buyer wants and needs beyond just their automobiles was formed, paired with extended test drives of many of the leading sport sedans, led to a greater understanding of concepts such as "polished performance" and "the power of harmony."
For example, it was clear that sport sedan buyers sought both innovative technology and handcrafted quality, and that personal growth and possessions were both important.
"We found a quiet confidence in our target G buyers that perfectly matched where the G35 has always lived – not overtly flashy or aggressive, but completely capable and authentic in nature. We wanted the new G to be the type of vehicle that the driver comes to appreciate more and more over time because it delivers deeper, more complex rewards in terms of both performance and amenities," said Igo.
Sporty and Sensual Styling
The new G’s vibrant design begins as an evolution of the original’s, with its long, wave-like hood, pushed back A-pillars and athletic stance. It is clean, simple and projects a balance of power and grace that is suggestive of the performance potential within.
The front of the new G is highlighted by its L-shaped headlights and dramatic Infiniti signature grille with sculpted "twisted" horizontal blades inspired by traditional Japanese swords. High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights with fog lights are standard, while an Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which automatically controls the headlight lighting pattern according to steering angle and vehicle speed to help provide better visibility at night, is optional.
To impart tight tolerances and an exacting fit of the complex front fascia, Infiniti developed a new production process for headlight installation, as well as securing the aluminum hood with dual latches located at the two front corners. These dual latches provide proper alignment for the sensual, sculpted hood.
The G’s silhouette offers a wedged roofline and a sweeping bodyside character line that emphasizes both the rich shoulder surfaces and the G’s rear-wheel drive orientation.
In the rear, the refined, evolutional L-shaped LED taillights express the G heritage and the Infiniti design identity. The trunk lid is accented by an integrated spoiler, while prominent dual exhaust outlets complete the sporty appearance.
The G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models offer a unique front fascia and side sills, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and tires. A full rear spoiler is also available.
"The 2007 G Sedan is even leaner and more athletic in its proportions, as well as more polished and seductive than the previous version," said Igo. "There’s a sensual quality that’s more prominent in this generation, a quality that is equally matched in the refined interior."
The new G’s interior is designed to create a harmony between its dedicated driver’s cockpit and comfortable passenger space – and between modern technology and traditional Japanese design cues. The result is a "modern warmth" that is unique in the sport sedan segment.
"Traditionally, there have been two schools of thought in sport sedan interiors – cold, machine-like precision or soft, indulgent luxury," said Igo. "In the new G, we’ve found a way to thoroughly engage the driver, while embracing passengers with finely crafted hospitality."
The driver’s space of the new G has a simple, intuitive layout. The instrument panel features Fine Vision gauges with a new white-and-violet illumination. White is used for the most important information because it provides the highest contrast, while violet – a traditional Japanese representation of royalty – is used as an accent color.
A center information display, which is located between the tachometer and speedometer, conveys updates from the drive computer (average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel economy, average speed, elapsed time, running distance, distance to empty, outside air temperature, warning displays, odometer and automatic transmission shift indicator) and uses red illumination.
Another detail that has roots in Japanese design is the new G’s "Washi"-style textured aluminum-alloy accents. Washi is a form of elegant, handmade Japanese paper. The aluminum trim pieces are located on the center console, across the instrument panel and on the door panels.
The G’s steering wheel also has a unique look and feel. While the stitching for most leather-covered steering wheels is done by machine, with the stitches often located right where the fingertips fall, the new G’s steering wheel is double-stitched by hand – a process that takes more than an hour to complete. The benefit is significant, allowing the stitches to be moved away from where the driver’s hands rest for a smoother, improved feel. Steering wheel-mounted cruise control and audio switches are standard on all models.
The G35 Sport model (automatic transmission) offers standard lightweight magnesium paddle shifters, which enable drivers to conduct upshifts or downshifts without releasing their hands from the steering wheel.
The feel of the new G’s switches and controls was another area of emphasis in the design of the new interior, with all switches delivering a smooth, rewarding operation.
Advanced Studio on Wheels™ Audio System
Another unique new feature is the G’s available 10-speaker Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose®, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with an audiophile-quality head unit incorporating double oversampling 24-bit 96KHz Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converters.
"The G designers and engineers gave the audio teams unprecedented freedom in the design of the Studio On Wheels, including engineering the front doors around the door speakers – rather than the other way around," said Igo. "The sound benchmarks were actually set utilizing a $30,000-plus audiophile high-end home audio system. The result is a breakthrough two-channel car audio system which accurately reproduces the impact and nuances of live music."
The G’s optional touch screen Infiniti Navigation System features available XM® NavTraffic™ with real-time traffic information and a 9.5 gigabyte Music Hard Drive. Other technologies include standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, standard 7.0-inch color monitor display, available RearView Monitor and Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System.
All 2007 G35s come equipped with standard leather-appointed seating in a choice of Wheat (except G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT), Stone or Graphite. Along with the standard Washi-style aluminum trim, real wood (straight-grained African Rosewood) accents are optionally available.
The soul of the G35 has always been its dynamic performance and at the heart of its advanced drivetrain has always been its award-winning VQ35 3.5-liter V6 engine and advanced FM (Front Mid-ship) platform. Both engine and platform have been significantly enhanced for use with the 2007 G.
The VQ-series V6, which has been named one of the "Ten Best Engines" by Ward’s Auto World magazine for 12 consecutive years, now moves into its fourth generation and has been significantly rethought, with approximately 80% of major parts (except bolts, O-rings and clips) redesigned. The block features ladder frame construction for greater rigidity and crank journal and pin diameters have been increased. The block height has been increased by 8.4 millimeters to reduce piston side force and the engine center is now 15 millimeters lower, which also contributes to the G’s improved dynamic performance.
Other engine enhancements include the addition of standard variable exhaust cam timing (eCVTCS), a higher rev limit (increased from 6,600 rpm to 7,600 rpm) and higher compression ratio (10.6:1 versus the previous 10.3:1), asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, improved coolant flow and new Iridium spark plugs.
A new symmetric twin ram air intake system helps reduce airflow resistance by 18% and increases horsepower by three hp at 60 miles per hour. A new dual exhaust system has been designed with equal length exhaust manifolds and reduced muffler exhaust pressure (25% less than the first generation G35) help improve engine breathing. Both are tuned to create authoritative harmonies, helping enhance driving pleasure.
The result of all these changes is 306 horsepower and 268 lb-ft of torque (a significant power improvement from the previous generation VQ), an exciting engine sound and expected improvements in emissions and fuel economy.
The new VQ engine design also includes a long list of advanced systems found on the previous design – including a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), a "noiseless" timing chain for quiet operation, an electronically controlled "drive-by-wire" throttle system, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, and molybdenum coated lightweight pistons.
>"There are a couple of unique features you notice about this new generation VQ engine – first, the great engine sound and the absence of the usual engine noises and vibrations," said Igo. "And secondly, the tuning strategy that is not strictly about standing-start acceleration, but a more refined balance of quick acceleration that builds continuously to the redline, which we call "Swell" acceleration. It’s a deepening pleasure that keeps getting better as you drive, like a building wave."
The G again offers a choice of 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode or a 6-speed manual transmission. The 5-speed automatic features Downshift Rev Matching, DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control) that allows for quicker shifts in sporty driving situations.
The 2007 G’s driving pleasure is also due in great measure to its second generation FM platform, similar to that used on the Infiniti M. The racing technology-inspired FM platform locates the engine behind the front axle in the "Front Mid-ship" position.
The positioning of the engine provides good front-to-rear weight balance, while the combination of long wheelbase, manageable overall length and wider front and rear track (+0.7 inches front, + 0.9 inches rear) adds to the G35’s overall handling stability.
The G’s suspension is a 4-wheel independent design with lightweight aluminum components and front and rear stabilizer bars, designed to provide nimble and natural feeling handling, as well as a controlled, refined ride. The front suspension minimizes alignment changes through use of a single pivot lower wishbone and a long upper link. The rear design separates the shock absorbers and springs, locating the shock absorber inline with the wheel center to help reduce suspension friction and reduce the wind-up motion of the axle on acceleration.
G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models offer an optional Four-Wheel Active Steer system, which helps improve vehicle handling performance by adjusting the geometry of the rear suspension according to steering input and vehicle speed.
Body stiffness has been increased by 36%, through utilization of new structural pieces in the critical engine compartment and rear floor areas, and a 16% increase in the number of body spot welds.
The G35 is also offered with a state-of-the-art "intelligent" all-wheel drive system. The G35x AWD model features Infiniti’s ATTESA E-TS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system, which is also utilized on the M35x and FX. The system utilizes an active torque distribution management system with an active center clutch designed for smooth starts and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems, plus minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
All 2007 G35s, rear-wheel and all-wheel drive, come with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), helping to enhance vehicle stability under a variety of driving conditions, while Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD) is standard on the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models.
The G’s braking system utilizes power-assisted 4-wheel vented disc brakes with 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). Larger brakes are offered on the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models.
The power steering system is a new twin-orifice vehicle-speed-sensing design, which provides optimum steering effort at both high and low vehicle speeds,
The new G features standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55R17 tires, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and 225/50R18 front and P245/45R18 rear W-rated tires on the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is standard on all 2007 G35s.
All 2007 G35s come equipped with the Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and occupant classification sensor, front-seat side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted side-impact curtain air bags for front- and rear-seat occupant head protection. Also standard are 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s side ELR only) and front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters and adjustable upper anchors, front seat Active Head Restraints and the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system. The G35 also features Zone Body Construction with front and rear crushable zones to help disperse crash energy around the passenger compartment.
Inside, the all-new interior design is refined and inviting, offering a new level of modern warmth and hospitality. The G interior also offers unique features such as the white-and-violet Fine Vision gauge illumination and high-touch, textured aluminum-alloy trim with "Washi" finish (traditional Japanese handmade paper) patterning.
Available advanced technologies include RearView Monitor, a touch screen navigation system with real-time traffic and the audiophile-quality Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose®, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with a head unit incorporating double oversampling 24-bit Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converters.
The heart of the G35 remains its advanced engine, platform and drivetrain, anchored by the "next generation" of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter DOHC V6, now rated at 306 horsepower. The standard V6 is mated to a choice of a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode and Downshift Rev Matching or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. Steering wheel-mounted magnesium paddle shifters are standard on the G35 Sport model (automatic transmission).
The G’s second generation FM (Front Mid-ship) platform features a 4-wheel independent suspension with lightweight aluminum components and improved body stiffness. The 2007 G35 is also offered with Infiniti "intelligent" all-wheel drive system.
Other features include standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, available Infiniti Navigation System with XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information, touch screen and 9.5 gigabyte Music Hard Drive; Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS); African Rosewood trim; and Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking.
Five Available Models
The 2007 Infiniti G35 is available in five models – G35, G35 Journey, G35x AWD, G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT. In addition to the long list of standard and available equipment on the G35, G35 Journey and G35x AWD models, the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models add drilled aluminum pedals, sport seats with thigh extensions and driver’s power bolster adjustments, upgraded brakes and Viscous Limited Slip Differential, along with magnesium paddle shifters on the G35 Sport.
Several options and packages are available for the 2007 G35 Sedan, including the Premium Package, Sunroof, Satellite Radio (choice of XM® or Sirius™), Navigation Package, Technology Package, Four-Wheel Active Steer Package, rear spoiler and straight-grained African Rosewood trim.
"The new G is an invitation fulfilled – a next generation sport sedan that has immense reserves of performance, style and design," said Igo. "It leaves no doubt that this is a sport sedan worthy of serious consideration."
At a Glance
The new G’s exterior enhances the original vibrant design theme with seductive, athletic styling that is clean and simple yet very distinctive. Key design elements include the sculpted sword-like grille blades, iconic headlights and taillights and the new, crisp character line that emphasizes the G’s aggressive rear-wheel drive appearance.
- Advanced Front Mid-ship (FM) platform (second generation)
- Enhanced sense of dynamic surface tension and polished craftsmanship
- An evolution of the original G35 design with a long, wave-like hood, pushed-back A-pillars and aggressive stance Double-arch grille with sculpted grille blades, standard High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights, integrated fog lights and L-shaped LED taillights
- Unique front fascia and side sills on G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models
- Available Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
- Available rear spoiler on G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models
- Lightweight aluminum hood
- Available sliding glass sunroof with tilt and one-touch open/close feature
- Available heated outside mirrors (standard on G35x)
- Eight available exterior colors, including three new colors
Engine and Driveline
- New fourth generation VQ-series 24-valve 3.5-liter DOHC V6 producing 306 horsepower and 268 lb-ft of torque
- New ram air dual intake, equal length exhaust manifold and dual exhaust system with laser-welded rear mufflers
- Higher compression ratio (10.6:1 versus previous 10.3:1), higher redline (7,600 rpm versus previous 6,600 rpm), new eCVTCS (electromagnetic variable exhaust cam timing), twin knock sensors, improved cooling and stiffer engine block structure
- Refined electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with Downshift Rev Matching and quick-shift DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control), or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission
- Standard magnesium paddle shifters on G35 Sport model
- Standard rear Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) on G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models
- Front engine/rear-wheel drive or ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive (G35x AWD model)
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Redesigned, stiffened 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension (front single pivot double-wishbone design) with extensive use of lightweight aluminum components and front and rear stabilizer bars
- New power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering
- 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA); available Preview Braking (with Intelligent Cruise Control)
- 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/55R17 V-rated tires
- Available 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 front and 245/45R18 rear W-rated tires (standard on G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models)
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), unique VDC tuning for G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT
- Available Four-Wheel Active Steer (G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT models)
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Driver-oriented interior styling with fine craftsmanship and modern warmth
- Standard leather-appointed seating, available in Wheat (except G35 Sport 6MT model), Graphite or Stone
- Unique "Washi" finish (traditional Japanese rice paper) aluminum-alloy trim on center console, instrument panel and doors; available wood trim
- Standard 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat and 4-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat (G35), available 8-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat (G35 Journey, G35x, G35 Sport, G35 Sport 6MT)
- Hand-stitched leather-wrapped steering wheel with steering wheel mounted audio and cruise control switches, tilt and telescopic steering column
- Fine Vision gauges with white and violet illumination
- Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition
- Available Studio on Wheels™ by Bose®, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with an audiophile quality head unit incorporating double oversampling 24-bit Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converters and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
- Standard audio system featuring in-dash CD changer with Radio Data System (RDS), auxiliary audio input, mp3 playback capability and 6 speakers
- Standard 7.0-inch color monitor display
- Leather-appointed shifter lever with aluminum trim
- Available Infiniti Navigation System with available XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information
- Available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
- Available RearView Monitor
- G35 Sport 6MT and G35 Sport include sport-styled steering wheel with special stitching color, aluminum pedals, sport-styled front seats with thigh extensions and driver’s power torso and thigh bolsters
- Available satellite radio with choice of XM® or Sirius™ providers
- Infiniti signature analog quartz clock
- Digital automatic temperature control with standard micro filtration and rear heater vents, available dual HVAC control with available rear vents
Safety and Security
- Standard Infiniti Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and occupant classification sensor
- Standard front-seat and roof-mounted front and rear curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only)
- Front seat belt adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
- Front seat Active Head Restraints
- Zone Body construction with energy-dispersing side structure
- Engine mount breakaway design with breakaway driveshaft
- Retracting brake pedal to help reduce lower leg injuries in severe crash
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat anchorage system
- Standard first-aid kit inside rear center armrest
Models and Manufacturing
- Available in five models: G35, G35 Journey, G35x AWD, G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT
- Assembled by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. In Tochigi, Japan
Specifications and pricing
|Type||VQ35 DOHC 24-valve|
|Orientation||V6 with molybdenum coated pistons|
|Displacement||3.5 liters/ 3498cc|
|Horsepower||306 hp@6800 rpm|
|Torque||268 lb-ft@4800 rpm|
|G35||3.5L DOHC V-6||5-spd auto w/manual shift||$31450|
|G35 Journey||3.5L DOHC V-6||5-spd auto w/manual shift||$31900|
|G35x AWD||3.5L DOHC V-6||5-spd auto w/manual shift||$33950|
|G35 Sport AT||3.5L DOHC V-6||5-spd auto w/manual shift||$33450|
|G35 Sport AT||3.5L DOHC V-6||6-spd manual||$32250|