2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Redesigned for 2008, the Infiniti G37 Coupe has received minor trim changes for 2010, including a revised interior and upgraded navigation and entertainment systems. For 2010 customers can chose from four different trim levels, G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey, G37 Coupe Sport 6MT and G37x Coupe AWD with prices ranging from $36,050 to $40,400.
Changes for 2010: the previous "Washi" aluminum trim is replaced by a new "Shodo" style trim, the previous African Rosewood wood accents have been replaced by new, high-gloss Maple Accents, standard 8-way power passenger seats on all models, a new center console design on automatic transmission-equipped models and a number of package content changes, such as the addition of the Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS) with Plasmacluster™ air purifier to the Technology Package and making RearView Monitor standard on most models.
The G37 Coupe is powered by a 3.7-liter VQ-series V6 engine rated at 330 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque and mated to either a 7-speed automatic transmission with Drive Sport (DS) Mode, Downshift Rev Matching and available solid magnesium paddle shifters or a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.
Press release after the jump.
2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe
When it comes to a pure, seductive expression of intense performance, many Infiniti vehicles likely come to mind. But perhaps none embodies the idea of “Inspired Performance” better than the Infiniti G Coupe – which is designed to stir the soul through an unmatched combination of dynamic design, exhilarating performance and a modern, luxuriously crafted interior. And, if all that isn’t enough, the G Coupe enters 2010 with a number of significant enhancements including a revised interior and upgraded navigation and entertainment systems.
The G Coupe is again offered in four exciting models: G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey, G37S Coupe Sport 6MT and G37x Coupe AWD – each equipped with a standard 3.7-liter VQ-series V6 with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift) rated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. Three models are offered with a standard performance-oriented 7-speed automatic transmission with Drive Sport (DS) Mode, Downshift Rev Matching and available solid magnesium paddle shifters. The G37 Coupe Sport 6MT comes with a responsive, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.
3.7-liter VQ37VHR V6 engine with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift) 330 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque
Enhancements for the 2010 model year are primarily concentrated inside the beautiful G Coupe body. The previous “Washi” aluminum trim is replaced by a new “Shodo” style trim, inspired by the traditional art of Japanese calligraphy, on all models. The previous African Rosewood wood accents have been replaced by new, high-gloss Maple Accents. Other changes include the addition of standard 8-way power passenger seats on all models, a new center console design on automatic transmission-equipped models and a number of package content changes, such as the addition of the Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS) with Plasmacluster™ air purifier to the Technology Package and making RearView Monitor standard on most models.
“Our goal is to always keep moving ahead, always keep our vehicles fresh with new designs and new technologies,” said Ben Poore, vice president, Infiniti Business Unit. “There’s no better example of this philosophy than the enhanced 2010 G line.”
Highly Seductive Styling
As the G37 Coupe enters the third year of its second-generation design, its stunningly seductive styling is recognized around the world. The smooth, aerodynamic design offers a kinetic feeling with an emotional surface expression, while the sweeping character lines and tight panel gap lines provide a rich, high quality appearance. Exterior highlights include flowing front fender curves, a wave-style hood, expressive front fascia with Infiniti’s signature double-arch grille and L-shaped High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional Xenon headlights with integrated fog lamps. The strong side character line and side sills integrate with the large wheel wells and performance-oriented wheel and tire packages to transmit an added sense of power and vibrancy. The rear of the G37 Coupe features broad rear fenders flowing into the large LED taillights, refined rear bumper, integrated RearView Monitor camera (when equipped), rear underbody air diffusers and large dual exhaust outlets with chrome finishers.
The G37 Coupe Sport 6MT models and G37 Journey with Sport Package add an enhanced performance look, with a unique front fascia, special side sills and standard 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with high performance tires.
Eight exterior colors are offered for 2010: Vibrant Red, Athens Blue, Liquid Platinum, Amethyst Graphite, Blue Slate, Black Obsidian, Moonlight White and the new Graphite Shadow.
Sophisticated, Luxurious Interior
The 2010 G37 Coupe interior design again features sophisticated craftsmanship, with a cockpit-oriented front driver and passenger area, Infiniti signature “double wave” instrument panel design featuring the Infiniti-signature analog clock and dramatic, full-length center console with a leather and aluminum-clad shifter. The new Shodo aluminum-alloy interior trim is featured on the instrument panel, center console and door panels.
The instrument panel includes Infiniti electroluminescent instrumentation with new white illumination and integrated multi-function information drive computer display (average fuel consumption, real-time fuel economy, average speed, elapsed time, running distance, distance to empty, outside air temperature, warning displays, odometer and automatic transmission shift indicator).
The double hand-stitched leather-covered steering wheel is designed for maximum comfort and usability, with standard wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls. Solid magnesium paddle shifters are available for the 7-speed automatic transmission (G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package only). The 8-way power driver and front passenger seats are appointed with Infiniti’s exclusive premium leather and feature 2-way adjustable head restraints and a unique rear-seat access system (the front seats move forward automatically at the touch of a button to allow passengers into the rear seats).
The G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT add special sport-styled seats with thigh extensions and power adjustable torso and thigh bolsters for the driver, unique steering wheel stitching and high-grip aluminum pedals.
Technological and convenience features abound in the G37 Coupe, including standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, Remote Keyless Entry system, a tilt/telescoping steering column with increased travel, illuminated glove compartment and automatic temperature control. Also standard is a 6-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with MP3 playback capability, Radio Data System (RDS) and center console-mounted auxiliary input, as well as a 7-inch color display and standard XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately). Also available is an 11-speaker Infiniti “Studio on Wheels”™ by Bose® with a 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers.
The G Coupe’s available Infiniti Navigation System has been enhanced with next generation technology and a new display screen with four times the resolution of the previous generation system’s screen. Along with the previously available XM NavTraffic® Real-Time Traffic Information, the navigation system adds NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide. The system also includes touch screen and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive
Three interior color combinations are offered – Wheat, Graphite and Stone. Both the Wheat and Stone interior colors have been revised for 2010 to provide a more neutral coloring.
Exhilarating Performance, Intuitive All-Wheel Drive
At the core of the G Coupe’s stellar performance is its advanced 3.7-liter VQ37VHR V6 engine with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift) rated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. The VVEL system combines hydraulic-controlled variable valve timing and electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side to help improve performance and response. The VVEL intake camshafts, featuring continuously variable lift control teamed with the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allow for a 7,500 rpm redline.
G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey, G37 Coupe Sport 6MT and G37x Coupe AWD; prices ranging from $36,050 to $40,400
The engine also features increased cylinder block height (from the previous 3.5-liter design), ladder frame construction for greater rigidity, large crank journal and pin diameters, asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, an electronically controlled “drive-by-wire” throttle system, lightweight pistons, Iridium spark plugs and a symmetric twin air intake system.
The specially tuned dual exhaust system features equal length exhaust manifolds and low muffler exhaust backpressure to help improve engine breathing. Both intake and exhaust enhance driving pleasure with their authentic performance notes.
“The G Coupe’s 3.7-liter V6 is a true powerhouse – becoming more enjoyable as you drive it,” said Poore. “The engine also features Infiniti’s distinctive ‘Swell’ acceleration – with special tuning that builds horsepower almost continually to the redline like a building wave.”
The G37 Coupe engine is backed by a choice of an electronically controlled 7-speed automatic transmission with manual mode, downshift rev matching, Drive Sport (DS) mode and Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) that allows for quicker shifts in sporty driving situations and available solid magnesium paddle shifters; or a responsive, lightweight 6-speed manual transmission.
The foundation for the G Coupe’s impressive handling and ride performance comes from its second-generation FM (Front Mid-ship) platform. The 4-wheel independent suspension design features lightweight aluminum components and large front and rear stabilizer bars.
The front suspension is a double-wishbone design, with a single pivot lower wishbone and a long upper link, while the multi-link rear suspension separates the shock absorbers and springs, locating the shock absorber inline with the wheel center. These designs help minimize alignment changes and reduce suspension friction for nimble handling and smooth riding characteristics.
Responsive steering is provided by a vehicle-speed-sensing design, which provides optimum steering effort at both high and low vehicle speeds. Standard on all G37 Coupes is Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), which assists in enhancing vehicle stability under a variety of driving conditions.
For buyers looking for the added control and all-climate handling of all-wheel drive, the G37x Coupe AWD comes with Infiniti’s advanced ATTESA E-TS™ (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system. The system utilizes an active torque distribution management system with an active center clutch designed for smooth starts and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems, plus minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
Monitoring wheel spin, throttle position and vehicle speed, it automatically diverts up to 50 percent of available power to the front wheels, enhancing traction and control when road conditions are less than optimal. When all-wheel drive is not needed, the system can send up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels, preserving the G’s sporty rear-wheel drive characteristics.
Braking performance is provided by standard 4-wheel vented discs with 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. The G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT are further enhanced with aluminum four-piston calipers (front)/two-piston calipers (rear) embossed with Infiniti lettering and large ventilated rotors – 14.0-inch front and 13.8-inch rear.
Also available on G37 Coupe is Infiniti’s Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking, which provides a precise following distance from the vehicle ahead. It also identifies sudden braking situations with laser sensors to determine distance and relative speed of the vehicle ahead in the same lane and “pre-pressurizes” the Brake Assist system before the driver steps on the brake pedal.
Split 5-spoke 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/50VR18 all-season tires are standard on G37 Coupe. A 10-spoke 19-inch wheel and tire package, with lightweight cast aluminum wheels and high performance tires, is also available. A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is standard on all 2010 G37 Coupes.
Enhancing the already high level of dynamic performance of the G37 Coupe 6MT and G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package are a unique sport suspension, a Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD) and 19x8.5-inch front wheels with P225/45WR19 front tires and 19x9.0-inch rear wheels with P245/40WR19 rear tires.
Safety Performance and Technology
Every 2010 G37 Coupe is available with a long list of standard safety and security features, including an Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors is standard, roof-mounted curtain side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection and front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags.
Also standard are 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s side ELR only) and front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters and adjustable upper anchors, driver and front-passenger knee bolsters, front seat Active Head Restraints and the LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren). Available as part of the Technology Package are brake-operated pre-crash seat belts with motion sensor on the brake pedal.
The G37 Coupe features Zone Body Construction with front and rear crushable zones to help disperse crash energy around the passenger compartment.
For occupant safety, the engine is designed to move under the occupant compartment in a high-speed frontal collision, while a breakaway construction of the propeller shaft (connected with the engine-drop function) and the double-wall construction of the bulkhead helps to minimize cabin deformation, especially in the lower leg area. In addition, the brake pedal is designed to collapse to help reduce lower leg injuries in a severe crash.
Four Well-Equipped Models
The 2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe is available in four models: G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey, G37 Coupe Sport 6MT and G37x Coupe AWD.
Several options and packages are also offered, including the Premium Package, with a power sliding glass moonroof, 11-speaker Infiniti “Studio on Wheels”™ by Bose® audio system, 2.0GB Music Box, memory system (drivers seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors) with synchronization, driver’s seat power lumbar support, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel and Rear Sonar System.
Also available is the Sport Package (available on G37 Journey model and standard on G37 Coupe Sport 6MT), which includes 19-inch wheels and high-performance tires, Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD), sport-tuned suspension, sport brakes, unique front fascia and side sills, sport-styled seats and steering wheel stitching, aluminum pedals and paddle shifters (G37 Coupe Journey only).
The Infiniti Navigation Package adds navigation system with 08IT technology, WVGA display screen, XM NavTraffic® Real-Time Traffic Information, NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide, touch screen and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive.
The Technology Package includes Infiniti Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking, “Pre-Crash Seatbelt” system, rain-sensing windshield wipers and Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS). Also available is the Performance Wheel and Tire Package; Aero Kit and Maple Accents interior trim.
- Type VQ37VHR DOHC 24-valve
- Orientation Vertical
- Cylinders / configuration V6 with coated pistons
- Block / head composition Aluminum / aluminum
- Displacement 3.7 liters
- Horsepower 330 hp @ 7,000 rpm
- Torque 270 lb-ft. @5,200 rpm
- Bore x stroke (mm) 95.5 x 86.0
- Compression ratio (:1) 11.0
- Maximum engine speed
- (indicated redline on tachometer)
- 7,500 rpm
- Induction system Sequential multi-point fuel injection
- Valvetrain 4 valves per cylinder
- Mounts (sides/rear) 2 solid/ 1 liquid-filled
- Recommended fuel Premium unleaded
- Emissions system Closed loop feedback system with 3-way catalyst
- Emission certification level 50 State, LEV2
- Exhaust Dual, with dual chrome finishers
- Dynamic exterior design, featuring seductive and muscular shapes, including flowing front fender lines with low silhouette roofline, strong side character lines and side sills, wave-form hood
- Aggressive front end aerodynamics and styling with smooth front fascia, integrated fog lamps and double-arch grille
- Infiniti signature L-shape High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional Xenon headlights
- Large LED Infiniti G-style taillights, large trunk opening and integrated RearView Monitor camera (standard on most models)
- Standard rear underbody air diffusers
- Large diameter dual exhaust outlets with chrome finishers
- Unique front fascia and side sills on G37 Coupe Sport 6MT and G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package
- Available sliding glass moonroof with tilt and one-touch open/close feature
- Available heated outside mirrors (standard on all models except base)
- Eight available exterior colors: Vibrant Red, Athens Blue, Liquid Platinum, Amethyst Graphite, Blue Slate, Black Obsidian, Moonlight White and Graphite Shadow (new)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Enhanced FM platform
- 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension (front single pivot double-wishbone design) with extensive use of lightweight aluminum components and large front and rear stabilizer bars
- Power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- G37 Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model brakes feature 14-inch rotors with 4-piston front calipers and 13.8-inch rotors with 2-piston calipers rear with “Infiniti” lettering
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking
- Standard “split 5-spoke” 18x8.0-inch titanium-finish aluminum alloy wheel design with P225/50VR18 all-season tires
- Available 10-spoke 19x8.5-inch front wheels and P225/45WR19 front tires and 19x9.0-inch rear wheels with P245/40WR19 rear tires (G37 Coupe Journey, standard on G37 Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Driver-oriented sporty interior with luxurious passenger space
- Infiniti signature “double-wave” instrument panel and Infiniti-signature analog clock
- Dramatic, full-length center console with a leather and aluminum-clad shifter
- Available solid magnesium automatic transmission paddle shifters
- Special “Shodo” aluminum-alloy accents on center console, instrument panel and door panels; available Maple Accents
- Standard 7.0-inch color monitor display, available RearView Monitor
- Standard leather-appointed seating, available in Wheat, Graphite and Stone
- Standard 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and 8-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat
- G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT models feature sport-styled seats with thigh extensions, driver’s power adjustable torso and thigh bolsters and aluminum pedals
- Hand-stitched leather-wrapped steering wheel with steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise control switches, tilt and telescopic steering column with unique stitching on G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and Sport 6MT model
- Electroluminescent instrumentation with white-themed illumination
- Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button IgnitionAvailable Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose® Premium Audio System, with a 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers and parcel shelf-mounted subwooferStandard audio system featuring in-dash CD changer with Radio Data System (RDS), auxiliary audio input, MP3 playback capability and 6 speakers
- Available 2.0GB Music Box Flash Memory Music Server
- Leather-appointed shifter lever with aluminum trim
- Available Infiniti Navigation System with XM NavTraffic® with Real-Time Traffic Information and NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide, touch screen and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive
- Available Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System (standard on all models except base)
- Digital automatic temperature control with standard micro filtration and rear floor heater vents, available dual HVAC control with available center rear air conditioning vents (not available on Sport 6MT model)
Safety and Security
- Standard Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors
- Standard front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags
- Standard roof-mounted curtain side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only)
- Front seat belt adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
- Available pre-crash seat belts with motion sensor on the brake pedal
- Front seat Active Head Restraints
- Zone Body construction with energy-dispersing side structure
- Engine mount breakaway design with breakaway driveshaft
- Retracting brake pedal to help reduce lower leg injuries in a severe crash
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
- LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren)
|G37 Coupe||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$36,050|
|G37 Coupe Journey||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$37,500|
|G37x Coupe AWD||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$39,150|
|G37 Coupe Sport 6MT||3.7L V6||6-speed manual||$40,400|
Factory installed options
|Performance Tire & Wheel Package||
|Interior Accent Package||
|Midnight Black Grille||$350|
|Carpeted Trunk Mat||$105|
|Illuminated Kick Plates||$330|
|Rear Deck Lid Spoiler||$550|
|Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor||$130|
|First Aid Kit||$30|
|R Spec™ High Friction Brake Pads||$370|
|18-inch 9-spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels||$1,600|
|19-inch 9-spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels||$2,200|
Competitors and press reviews
"We spent about an hour behind the wheel of the G37x, and it all began to make sense. Most notably, the new 7-speed automatic is an excellent transmission. Shifts are quick and smooth, and you don’t find yourself cursing its gear selection during normal driving. We left it in "D" and it performed admirably without needlessly hunting for a ratio. Add efficiency to the transmission’s accolades as it sips less fuel than the 5-speed automatic it replaces. Fuel economy for the rear-wheel drive coupe with the new 7AT jumps from 18 city/24 highway to 18/26 thanks to its tall gearing (the all-wheel drive G37x is rated at 18/25)." (AutoBlog)
"If this contest were boiled down to the driving experience alone, the win would go to the 2009 Infiniti G37. It is the better driving car. Its suspension offers a better compromise between a comfortable ride and crisp handling, its engine is better suited to the character of a sport coupe, and all its controls provide better feel and response. Even its steering, which at first seems to be artificially cursed with too much effort, comes alive at speed to inform its driver precisely how much cornering grip remains at the front tires. It’s a well-refined formula that Nissan has nailed on all its FM-platform cars." (InsideLine)
"We had to get used to feathering the throttle around town because the way the VQ37 and the seven speed automatic are geared to work together the car takes off from a standstill. One of the best things about the next generation VQ engine in our G37 is that it sends all 330 HP directly to the rear wheels through a viscous limited slip differential, ensuring that the 270 lb-ft of torque is distributed evenly across the rear axle. Even with that much power on tap, the G37 still gets an EPA estimated 18 MPG in the city and 26 MPG at cruising speeds." (TopSpeed)
The 2010 Audi A5 will be offered in three trim levels: Premium, Premium Plus and Prestige and a choice of two engines: the turbocharged four cylinder is good for 211 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque while the larger 3.2 liter V6 produces 265 HP and 243 lb-ft of thrust. Prices range from $36,000 to $45,500.
BMW 3-Series Coupe
The BMW 3-Series coupe is offered in two different versions: 328i with 230 hp and 335i with 300 hp. The 3-Series can sprint from 0 to 60 MPH in just 5.3 seconds and reach a top speed limited to 130 MPH, or 150 MPH when equipped with the optional Sport Package. Prices range from $36,200 to $44,550.
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is offered with a choice of two engines. The 3.8-liter Lambda DOHC V6 engine delivers an estimated 306 hp and 263 lb.-ft. of torque on regular unleaded and the 2.0-liter turbo generates an estimated 212 hp and 217 lb.-ft. of torque. Prices range from $22,750 to $31,750.
You might consider the Infiniti G37 Coupe a Japanese alternative to the BMW 3-Series Coupe. But in fact the G37 cost less and also offer more standard horsepower. The Infiniti model is fun to drive, no doubt, but we have to admit that not as much as its German rival.
Besides the all-wheel-drive system, the G37 also features a sporty chassis and responsive steering. And with an attractive design, the coupe is a perfect car for many of you. But there are also some minuses with this car: first it weights more than the sedan, the rear seats do not offer enough room and not all versions are offered with a manual transmission.