2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan
Aside from the 2011 Infiniti M luxury sedan, the upscale arm of the Nissan Motor Company also revealed the 2010 G37 sedan today at the Los Angeles Auto Show. For the 2010 model year, Infiniti will offer the G37 in four trims. Starting out with the base model, moving on to the G37 Journey, then the all wheel drive G37x and finally the G37 Sport with a six speed manual transmission. All models will be offered with a revised exterior styling, an enhanced interior and upgraded technologies.
The 2010 G37 sedan is powered by a 3.7 Liter VVEL V6 engine that delivers 328 HP and 269 lb-ft of torque and is mated to either a seven speed automatic transmission with auto blip Downshift Rev Matching, Drive Sport Mode and Adaptive Shift Control for enhanced driving pleasure while a six speed manual is also offered as an option on the G37 Sport model.
The new Infiniti G37 comes with restyled features like new headlights and a reshaped grill, High Intensity Discharge Xenon headlights standard, more angular wide mouth front bumper and integrated fog lights. For the 2010 model year, the G37 receives two new exterior colors, Smoky Quartz and Graphite Shadow and Maple Accent Wood Trim on the interior. The new G will also be available with several packages and options like the Premium Package, Navigation Package, Technology Package, separate Sport Packages for the G37 Journey and G37x AWD, as well as a Performance Tire & Wheel Package.
Press release after the jump.
2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan
Since Infiniti first burst on the automotive scene 20 years ago, it has maintained a reputation as having not only one of the most dynamic product lineups in the industry but also one of the freshest – with a constant stream of new or enhanced models. The 2010 calendar year is no exception with a greatly refined Infiniti G37 Sedan debuting prior the scheduled launches of all-new, next generations of the Infiniti M and Infiniti QX.
For 2010, the G Sedan, Infiniti’s top-selling model, features revised exterior styling, an enhanced interior treatment and upgraded technology features. Most of the enhancements, except for the exterior refinements, are also available on the 2010 G37 Coupe and recently introduced G37 Convertible. 2010 G buyers have a range of four well-equipped models to choose from – G37 Sedan, G37 Sedan Journey, G37S Sedan Sport 6MT and G37x Sedan AWD.
All 2010 G Sedans are equipped with a refined 328-horsepower 3.7-liter VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) V6. A smooth, efficient 7-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models except the G37 Sport 6MT, which, as appropriate for a cutting-edge performance sports sedan, comes with a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. The G37x Sedan AWD is equipped with an advanced Infiniti Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system for enhanced all-weather performance.
3.7-liter VVEL 24-valve DOHC V6 engine; 328 hp and 269 lb-ft of torque; 7,600 rpm redline
“The Infiniti G is a vehicle for people who never slow down or settle for the status quo, so our goal has always been to keep the design fresh, the performance engaging and the equipment perfectly in-tune with the needs of these active owners,” said Ben Poore, vice president, Infiniti Business Unit.
Refreshed, Sporty Styling For 2010
For 2010, the G Sedan retains its visually striking exterior design, with its long, wave-like hood, raked A-pillars and athletic stance projecting a balance of power and grace that is suggestive of the performance potential within.
The front of the G Sedan is highlighted by its new headlights and grille, which offer a crisp form and high quality feel. The G’s standard fog lights have been moved from their previous location in the headlight cluster to the lower fascia where they help provide a more upscale and distinctive appearance. Every G offers standard High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional Xenon headlights. G37 Sport models also receive a new, distinctive front fascia and separate fog lights. The silhouette offers a wedged roofline and a sweeping bodyside character line that emphasizes both the rich shoulder surfaces and the G’s rear-wheel drive orientation.
In the rear, the refined, evolutional L-shaped LED taillights express the G heritage and the Infiniti design identity. The trunk lid is accented by an integrated spoiler, while prominent dual exhaust outlets complete the sporty appearance. All 2010 models receive a revised rear fascia with an improved exhaust finisher treatment. G37, G37 Journey and G37x AWD models feature a new 17-inch 5-spoke “triple forks” aluminum-alloy wheel design.
Two new exterior colors are offered for 2010, Smoky Quartz and Graphite Shadow, along with carryover colors Vibrant Red, Lakeshore Slate, Liquid Platinum, Blue Slate, Black Obsidian and Moonlight White.
Interior Refinements Add to Crafted, Quality Feel
Like the exterior, the 2010 G Sedan’s interior has been given a fresh look and feel for the new model year, along with upgrades to the navigation system and revised optional package content. Every G37 Sedan offers a crafted interior environment and luxury features such as standard leather-appointed seating and an available audiophile-quality Infiniti Studio on Wheels® by Bose® premium audio system, which combines Bose’®s 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer.
A 2GB Music Box Flash Memory Music Server is available with the Premium Package. Other enhancements for 2010 include a new, predominately white color scheme for the gauges and LCD instrument display, improving both legibility and cohesiveness of design. There is also a new center console design (7AT models) and the previous “Washi” aluminum trim has been replaced by “Shodo” aluminum trim inspired by a style of Japanese calligraphy. The Wheat and Stone leather-appointed interior colors are now lighter (Graphite color also available), and the available maple interior accents are now high gloss.
Unchanged is the G’s harmony between the dedicated driver’s cockpit and comfortable passenger space – and between modern technology and traditional Japanese design cues. The result is a “modern warmth” that is unique in the sport sedan segment. The driver’s area has a simple, intuitive layout with easy-to-read electroluminescent gauges. A center information display, located between the tachometer and speedometer, conveys updates from the drive computer (average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel economy, average speed, elapsed time, running distance, distance to empty, outside air temperature, warning displays, odometer and automatic transmission shift indicator).
The G’s available Infiniti Navigation System has been enhanced with 08IT technology and a new display screen with higher resolution than the previous generation system’s screen. Along with the previously available XM NavTraffic® Real-Time Traffic Information, the navigation system adds NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide. The system also includes a touch screen, Voice Recognition and a 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive.
Other technologies include standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, standard 7.0-inch color monitor display, standard XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately), available RearView Monitor, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System and Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking.
Powerful, Responsive 3.7-liter V6 Performance
As stunning as the G Sedan looks from the outside, its real beauty is best experienced from behind the wheel. The G’s balanced dynamic performance starts with its advanced 3.7-liter VQ37HR V6 with VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift). Rated at 328 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque, the engine’s VVEL system combines hydraulic-controlled variable valve timing and electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side to help improve performance and response. The VVEL system also offers improved emissions and fuel efficiency over the non-VVEL designs. The VVEL intake camshafts, featuring continuously variable lift control teamed with the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allow for a 7,600 rpm redline.
The engine also features rigid ladder frame construction, large crank journal and pin diameters, asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, an electronically controlled “drive-by-wire” throttle system, coated lightweight pistons, Iridium spark plugs and a symmetric twin air intake system. The specially tuned dual exhaust system features equal length exhaust manifolds and low muffler exhaust backpressure to help improve engine breathing. Both intake and exhaust enhance driving pleasure with their authentic performance notes.
To help take full advantage of the refined engine design, the G37 Sedan comes with a standard (except for the G37S Sport 6MT model) 7-speed automatic transmission with Downshift Rev Matching, Drive Sport mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control) that allows for sportier shifts in performance driving situations. Solid magnesium paddle shifters are standard on G37 Special Edition models and as part of the Sport Package for G37 Journey and G37x AWD models. The G37S Sport 6MT features a smooth-shifting, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.
“It is important to us to offer the G Sedan with a choice of transmissions – the 6-speed manual for the pure sports enthusiasts and our refined 7-speed automatic that, especially when combined with the available steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, provides nearly the same high level of driver control,” said Poore.
Estimated fuel economy is rated at 19 mpg City and 27 mpg Highway with the 7-speed automatic transmission and 17 mpg City/25 mpg Highway AWD with the 6-speed manual transmission. Fuel economy for G37x AWD models is estimated at 18 City/25 Highway
Along with the 3.7-liter engine, every 2010 G37 Sedan is equipped with the advanced FM platform, which locates the engine behind the front axle in the “Front Mid-ship” position. The positioning of the engine provides good front-to-rear weight balance, while the combination of long wheelbase, manageable overall length and wide front and rear track adds to the G Sedan’s overall handling stability. The G37’s suspension is a 4-wheel independent design with lightweight aluminum components and front and rear stabilizer bars, designed to provide nimble and natural feeling handling, as well as a controlled, refined ride.
The front suspension minimizes alignment changes through use of a single pivot lower wishbone and a long upper link. The rear suspension design separates the shock absorbers and springs, locating the shock absorber inline with the wheel center to help reduce suspension friction and reduce the wind-up motion of the axle on acceleration.
The Infiniti G37 6MT and G37 Journey models with the optional Sport Package include a sport-tuned suspension and 14.7:1 sport-tuned steering gear.
four trim levels:G37 Sedan, G37 Sedan Journey, G37x Sedan AWD and G37 Sedan Sport 6MT and prices ranging from $33,250 to $37,000
The G37x Sedan AWD model features a state-of-the-art “intelligent” all-wheel drive system with Infiniti’s ATTESA E-TS® (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system. The system utilizes an active torque distribution management system with an active center clutch designed for smooth starts and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems, plus minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
All 2010 G37s, rear-wheel and all-wheel drive, come with standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), helping to enhance vehicle stability under a variety of driving conditions, while Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD) is included on the G37S Sport 6MT and G37 Journey Sport Package-equipped vehicles.
The G’s brake system utilizes power-assisted 4-wheel vented disc brakes with 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). Larger brakes (14.0-inch front, 13.8-inch rear) with 4-piston front/2-piston rear calipers are standard on the G37S Sport 6MT and the G37 Journey with Sport Package. Also available is a Preview Braking system (with Intelligent Cruise Control). The power steering system is a vehicle-speed-sensing design, which provides optimum steering effort at both high and low vehicle speeds.
The 2010 G37 features a new standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheel design with P225/55R17 tires. Larger 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and P225/50R18 front and P245/45R18 rear W-rated tires are standard on the G37 Sport 6MT and Sport Package-equipped G37 Journey models. A Performance Tire & Wheel Package with 18-inch wheel and P225/50R18 front and rear all-season tires is also available on the G37 Journey (non-Sport Package) and G37x AWD.
All G37 Sedans come equipped with Infiniti’s Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors is standard, along with roof-mounted side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection and roof-mounted side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection.
Also standard are 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s side ELR only) and front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters and adjustable upper anchors, front seat Active Head Restraints and the LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren). Brake-Operated Pre-Crash Seat Belts are available as part of the Technology Package. The G37 Sedan also features Zone Body Construction with front and rear crushable zones to help disperse crash energy around the passenger compartment.
Four Well-Equipped Models
The 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan is available in four models – G37, G37 Journey, G37x AWD and G37 Sport 6MT.
In addition to the long list of standard and available equipment on the G37, G37 Journey and G37x AWD models, G35 Sport 6MT models (as well as G37 Journey and G37x models equipped with the Sport Package) add drilled aluminum pedals, sport seats with thigh extensions and driver’s power bolster adjustments, upgraded brakes (not available on G37x AWD) and Viscous Limited Slip Differential) not available on G37x AWD), along with magnesium paddle shifters on automatic transmission models.
Several options and packages are available for the 2010 G37 Sedan, including the Premium Package, Navigation Package, Technology Package, Sport Package (G37 Journey), Sport Package (G37x AWD), Performance Tire & Wheel Package and Maple Accents Wood Trim.
- Advanced second-generation Front Mid-ship (FM) platform
- Long, wave-like aluminum hood, pushed-back A-pillars and aggressive stance
- Double-arch grille with sculpted grille blades, High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional Xenon headlights, fog lights and L-shaped LED taillights;
- New front grille and front fascia with separate fog lights (previously integrated into the headlights), new rear fascia
- New, unique front fascia, grille and side sills on G37S Sport 6MT models and models equipped with the Sport Package
- Available sliding glass moonroof with tilt and one-touch open/close feature
- Available heated outside mirrors (standard on G37x AWD, G37 Journey and G37S Sport 6MT models)
- Eight available exterior colors: Vibrant Red, Lakeshore Slate, Liquid Platinum, Smoky Quartz (new), Graphite Shadow (new), Blue Slate, Black Obsidian and Moonlight White
Engine and Driveline
- Front engine/rear-wheel drive or ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive (G37x AWD model)
- 3.7-liter VVEL 24-valve DOHC V6 producing 328 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque
- Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) intake camshafts, incorporated with the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
- Ram air dual intake, equal length exhaust manifold and dual exhaust system with laser-welded rear mufflers, which produce an authentic performance sound
- Choice of electronically controlled 7-speed automatic transmission with Downshift Rev Matching and quick-shift DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control), or close-ratio lightweight 6-speed manual transmission
- 11:1 compression ratio, 7,600 rpm redline
- Magnesium paddle shifters on Sport Package-equipped models (automatic transmission only)
- Available Rear Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) – standard on G37 Sport 6MT, G37 Journey models with Sport Package
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension (front single pivot double-wishbone design) with extensive use of lightweight aluminum components and front and rear stabilizer bars
- Power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering
- 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA); available Preview Braking (with Intelligent Cruise Control)
- G37 Sport 6MT and G37 Journey with Sport Package models feature Sport Brakes with 14-inch rotors with 4-piston front calipers and 13.8-inch rotors with 2-piston calipers rear with “Infiniti” lettering
- New design and color 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55R17 V-rated tires (G37, G37 Journey, G37x AWD)
- Available split 5-spoke 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/50R18 front and 245/45R18 rear W-rated tires (standard on G37S Sport 6MT models and G37 Journey models with Sport Package)
- P225/50R18 front and rear tires standard on G37x AWD models with Sport Package
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Driver-oriented interior styling with fine craftsmanship and modern warmth
- Standard leather-appointed seating, available in Wheat (except G37 Sport–equipped models), Graphite and Stone
- Unique “Shodo” finish aluminum-alloy trim on center console, instrument panel and doors; available premium high-gloss Maple accents trim
- Standard 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat and 8-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat
- Hand-stitched leather-wrapped steering wheel with steering wheel mounted audio and cruise control switches, tilt and telescopic steering column
- Electroluminescent instrumentation with new white-themed illumination
- Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition
- Available Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose® Premium Audio System, with a 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
- Standard audio system featuring in-dash CD changer with Radio Data System (RDS), auxiliary audio input, MP3 playback capability and 6 speakers
- Available 2GB Music Box
- Standard 7.0-inch color monitor display
- Leather-appointed shifter lever with aluminum trim
- Available Infiniti Navigation System with XM NavTraffic® with Real-Time Traffic Information and NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide, touch screen and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive
- Standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System (except G37 model)
- Standard RearView Monitor (except G37 model)
- Standard XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately)
- Available USB port for music playback devices
- Standard DVD-Video playback (except G37 model)
- Infiniti signature analog quartz clock
- Digital automatic temperature control with standard micro filtration and rear heater vents, available dual HVAC control with available rear A/C vents (automatic transmission vehicles only)
- Sport-styled steering wheel with special stitching color, aluminum pedals, sport-styled front seats with thigh extensions and driver’s power torso and thigh bolsters (Sport Package–equipped models, standard on G37 Sport 6MT)
Safety and Security
- Standard Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors
- Standard front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags
- Standard roof-mounted side impact supplemental air bags for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- Available Brake-Operated Pre-crash seat belts
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only)
- Front seat belt adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
- Front seat Active Head Restraints
- Zone Body construction with energy-dispersing side structure
- Engine mount breakaway design with breakaway driveshaft
- Retracting brake pedal to help reduce lower leg injuries in severe crash
- LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren)
- Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
|G37 Sedan||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$33,250|
|G37 Sedan Journey||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$34,450|
|G37x Sedan AWD||3.7L V6||7-spd auto w/ manual shift mode||$36,050|
|G37 Sedan Sport 6MT||3.7L V6||6-speed manual||$37,000|
Factory installed options
|Performance Tire & Wheel Package||
|Interior Accent Package||
|Splash Guards - Non-Sport||$170|
|Splash Guards - Sport||$170|
|Midnight Black Grille||$420|
|Carpeted Trunk Mat||$105|
|Illuminated Kick Plates||$350|
|Rear Deck Lid Spoiler||$560|
|Aerodynamic Kit - Non-Sport||$980|
|Aerodynamic Kit - Sport||$980|
|Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor||$130|
|First Aid Kit||$30|
|R Spec™ High Friction Brake Pads||$370|
|18-inch 9-spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels||$1,600|
Competitors and press reviews
"The clutch take-up in this particular G37 sport sedan has the kind of subtlety and refinement we expect in a premium-brand sedan. The shift lever also feels pretty fluid through the gates, yet it retains that mechanical weightiness so characteristic of Infiniti and Nissan performance cars. If our test car is any indication, Infiniti might have finally gotten everything worked out with this transmission. And that bodes well for the manual-shift G37 at the test track. Our long-term G35’s clutch issues are well documented, and still it managed a 5.5-second 0-60 time (5.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and a 13.9-second quarter-mile at 102 mph." (InsideLine)
"Even so, the G37 Sedan is no fuel sipper, and having a naturally aspirated and somewhat large engine coupled with an automatic transmission can’t possibly help its fuel economy in busy traffic. For example, on a highly congested part of our test drive in the city, the onboard computer was showing 23 liters per 100 km (US 10.2 mpg). As far as visibility goes, we can’t give it top marks either, but the truth is it’s better than you would expect just by looking at it." (AutoEvolution)
"Out on the streets, the G37x S rides a bit stiff on the broken pavement of Los Angeles, but it’s never jarring. At low rpm, the V-6 engine is hardly noticeable, but give it the spurs and it emits an angry growl above 2500 rpm that’s a bit louder than you’d expect. In a straight line, using the big, column-mounted paddle shifters is a little disappointing as there’s a short pause before your command translates to a gear change. In the hills and canyons, though, the easy-to-reach paddles click off gear changes nicely and the G37x S handles nicely with almost no intrusion from the traction or stability control systems unless you really push it. Despite not getting the quicker steering ratio then the G37 S gets, the G37x S still feels plenty sporty, though it would be nice if the turning radius hadn’t increased by nearly a foot." (MotorTrend)
For 2010, two distinct versions of Acura’s performance luxury sedan will be offered: a luxurious 3.5-liter V-6 engine delivering a total of 280 hp, front-wheel drive TL, and a powerful 3.7-liter V-6 engine with 305 hp. Prices for the 2010 TL range from $35,105 and $43,385.
The 2010 Audi A4 is powered by a 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 mated to quattro® all-wheel drive. The engine delivers a total of 333hp and 325 lb-ft of torque and sprints the car from 0 to 60 mph in 4,9 seconds. Prices for the A4 sedan range from $31,450 to $42,250.
The 2010 BMW 3-Series sedan is offered in either 328i version of 335i. The 328i is rated at 230 hp and is priced at $33,150. The 335i is powered by a 3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder rated at 300hp. The 335i is priced at $40,600.
The 2010 Cadillac CTS is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine that delivers a total of 304 hp at 6400 rpm and a peak torque of 273 lbs-ft at 5200 rpm. Prices start at $35,165.
The Infiniti G37 Sedan is a combination of a sporty car and a luxury one, but without being any of them. The sedan drives almost exactly like the coupe version: the engine responds the same and there is the same deep exhaust note. And like with the coupe the big disadvantage is that not all the models come with a manual gearbox.
But without being a BMW, the G37 handles quite well, and with four trim levels to choose from you will find a car for you, for sure. There are also lots of gadgets for the interior that will make your ride even more pleasant!